Reply to topic

Linux Magazine: Kexi and Glom compared

User avatar jstaniek
OS
Hello,
A free and fresh copy of Linux Magazine article on Kexi and Glom:

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Issues/ ... gorie%29/0

I can formulate most obvious notes:

1. Documentation needs to be extended (mostly the handbook for forms, reports and queries)

2. The author had issues with saving:
the program does not save all the content (tables, data, SQL queries) until you close a project, and you don’t have a button to save data on the fly
- for now I cannot understand it, maybe it's a specific bug in the UI but so prominent button that we all use everyday should work on the installation used by the article's author; it that note is related to row-based editing (i.e. two-phase data saving - 1. cell, 2. row) - it's important to know that this is exactly equivalent of MS Access' behaviour.

3. The long-standing wish for altering table design without dropping the data is rightly repeated in the article. Good news is that I know easy workaround that can be delivered for 2.5 (more about that later). Full support is so hard that was never completed, took a lot of time; the complexity was even acknowledged on the SQLite's developer mailing list; I would be happy to reuse this feature once it is present in SQLite but most probably Kexi will get own implementation earlier.

Last edited by jstaniek on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix the link

Best regards,
Jarosław Staniek

Kexi - Open Source Visual DB Apps Builder
• Request feature or fix for Kexi here
May I help you? Please mention your app's version and OS when asking for help
nathanbas
Registered Member
Might there be any way to combine efforts?

It seems a waste to see such great work left to die deaths of a thousand pin-pricks, especially when collaboration and unity are what the open-source community does best!
User avatar jstaniek
OS
What both projects have in common is the FOSS nature. Technically there's 10+ years of development. Also different architectures: GLOM started as an interface to PostgreSQL, subset of it's features.

I'd say we can announce the merge a day after MS Access and Filemaker merges. :) There's nothing special in FOSS that makes such merges easier.

On the other hand, it's file/document formats that should be standardised or just be standard formats. Efforts like https://github.com/staniek/kexi/issues/4 helps with that. Kexi even started a project to support the LibreOffice Base format (ODB), which is not documented/inaccessible for any FOSS software but the Java HSQL backend. And Kexi made its Reports format XML based, ODF-like. The file container is SQLite-based, what's usable for users as we read in numerous cases on this forum. And so on...

Best regards,
Jarosław Staniek

Kexi - Open Source Visual DB Apps Builder
• Request feature or fix for Kexi here
May I help you? Please mention your app's version and OS when asking for help

Reply to topic