Reply to topic

terminal login for kate

pietroreale
Registered Member

terminal login for kate

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:33 pm
hi all
sorry for my english, is not my own language. I am using kate as text editor. I woud like to write programs and compile them using the terminal that appear in the same window where I write the software. the point is that when I open the terminal, it does not perform the login, thus some command are not recognise from the system (I should add this command '/opt/trinity/bin/konsole -ls' to the terminal setting in kate). Of course, if I use the terminal outside the kate editor, everything works fine. I have already checked on line but I did not find any help about this issue. I also try to look under kate setting, but it seems to me that there are no option regarding this point. does anyone have something to suggest? thank you very much in advance
pietro
User avatar google01103
Manager

Re: terminal login for kate

Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:06 pm
I can't confirm this as I am using KDE4 and you are using Trinity

what commands are not recognized? or are they variables? either way where are they set?
- in bashrc? if in bashrc then first running the command "bash" should make them recognized
- in loginrc? then try the command "bash -l".

have you considered using kdevelop for development work

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

User avatar scummos
Global Moderator
OS

Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:18 pm
Please ask the trinity people for help about their ten-year-old fork of kate. In 4.12 the embedded terminal works fine.

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
pietroreale
Registered Member

Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:12 am
I am awfully sorry, I did not explain exactly what I meant...

Last edited by pietroreale on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
pietroreale
Registered Member

Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:28 am
google01103 wrote:I can't confirm this as I am using KDE4 and you are using Trinity

what commands are not recognized? or are they variables? either way where are they set?
- in bashrc? if in bashrc then first running the command "bash" should make them recognized
- in loginrc? then try the command "bash -l".

have you considered using kdevelop for development work

I am awfully sorry, I did not explain exactly what I meant...I am not an expert, I am sorry....it is not a command that is not recognise. the terminal in kate works fine, but I am writing Python code. If I run the code from terminal outside kate, everything is fine. If I run the same code from terminal in kate, I got this response
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "prova.sh", line 5, in <module>
import ftu
ImportError: No module named ftu

(ftu is a module that is used to read files on a database). I was told that this happens because the terminal in kate do not performe the login. This is the command I add to the terminal outside kate in order to make it work ('/opt/trinity/bin/konsole -ls'). I should add this to the terminal in kate but I don't know how to do it. sorry again for the misunderstanding. I hope that someone could help, thanks
User avatar google01103
Manager

re: terminal login for kate

Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:10 am
did you try running the command "bash -l" in the Kate terminal? that should be the same as "konsole -ls" I think.

I have to agree with Scummos, you should post on the Trinity forum as this is not a KDE4 problem and no one here can test any possible solutions.

from the GNU Bash manual
When the shell is not interactive, the login shell startup files will be executed. ‘exec bash -l’ or ‘exec bash --login’ will replace the current shell with a Bash login shell. See Bash Startup Files, for a description of the special behavior of a login shell

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

pietroreale
Registered Member

Re: re: terminal login for kate

Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:33 pm
google01103 wrote:did you try running the command "bash -l" in the Kate terminal? that should be the same as "konsole -ls" I think.

I have to agree with Scummos, you should post on the Trinity forum as this is not a KDE4 problem and no one here can test any possible solutions.

from the GNU Bash manual
When the shell is not interactive, the login shell startup files will be executed. ‘exec bash -l’ or ‘exec bash --login’ will replace the current shell with a Bash login shell. See Bash Startup Files, for a description of the special behavior of a login shell

thank you very much anyway. I will try what you suggest

Reply to topic