Reply to topic

Notifications when temperatures / fans exceed given values

User avatar MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
Posts
306
Karma
0
OS
I added several temperature and fan sensors to custom panels in KSysGuard. To know when everything is within normal parameters, I also set alarms to some of the displays. Although the numbers turn red when a value is exceeded, I also want to be notified in the system tray of ill temperatures or fan speeds. To do this, I went in Notifications -> System Monitor and enabled "Show a message in a popup" for the Sensor Alarm event. However, even if values over the limit are reached, I see no notifications.

Why doesn't that work? And how do I make temperatures going out of specified bounds trigger a notification?
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
Posts
19765
Karma
87
OS
It is possible that System Monitor is not providing any text - which might explain why no popup was made. Does enabling one of the other types of notifications have any effect?


KDE Sysadmin
[img]http://forum.kde.org/content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
User avatar MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
Posts
306
Karma
0
OS
bcooksley wrote:It is possible that System Monitor is not providing any text - which might explain why no popup was made. Does enabling one of the other types of notifications have any effect?


Sure, all other notifications work fine. Also, notifications which provide no text still cause an empty popup IIRC... I saw that once with something else.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
Posts
19765
Karma
87
OS
Indeed. One thing I do note is that System Monitor does not seem to provide the ability to configure notifications within the application - which indicates it may not be setting things up properly internally. Is this the same on your system?


KDE Sysadmin
[img]http://forum.kde.org/content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
User avatar MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
Posts
306
Karma
0
OS
bcooksley wrote:Indeed. One thing I do note is that System Monitor does not seem to provide the ability to configure notifications within the application - which indicates it may not be setting things up properly internally. Is this the same on your system?


All I know is that I can set alarms to some displays, and the text on that display turns red as expected when the value is exceeded. But if I enable notifications for the "Sensor Alarm" event, it still doesn't generate any. I don't know any other way to get KSysGuard to trigger sensor notifications, nor another program that can do so for KDE's notification system... so I haven't tested anything else.
User avatar google01103
Manager
Posts
6668
Karma
25
try gKrellm, it will trigger a multitude of alerts but you will need to have it visible on your desktop as the alerts don't display in the task manager (iirc). it's not a KDE app but works fine and uses minimal resources

you could also search kde-look.org for monitor widgets that alert but I don't recall seeing any that do


OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

User avatar MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
Posts
306
Karma
0
OS
google01103 wrote:try gKrellm, it will trigger a multitude of alerts but you will need to have it visible on your desktop as the alerts don't display in the task manager (iirc). it's not a KDE app but works fine and uses minimal resources

you could also search kde-look.org for monitor widgets that alert but I don't recall seeing any that do


If I am to use another process, I don't want something that needs to be kept on the desktop or draws its own notifications. More like a hidden process which can send DBus or native KDE notifications. Though I'd like to fix this in KSysGuard directly if it's possible.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
Posts
19765
Karma
87
OS
Unless you can investigate the code in KSysguard, you'll need to file a bug report at bugs.kde.org i'm afraid.


KDE Sysadmin
[img]http://forum.kde.org/content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]

 
Reply to topic

Bookmarks



Who is online

Registered users: Baidu [Spider], beerislife, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], pasis, Sogou [Bot], YaCy [Bot]