Reply to topic

Krename Find & Replace expressions

fozziebear
Registered Member

Krename Find & Replace expressions

Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:22 am
I have several hundreds podcasts which I want to transfer to an mp3 player but the format and title of the file name is too long/complicated. Here is an example of such a file:-
The_Grenfell_Tower_Inquiry_Podcast_-_27_Firefighter_OBeirne_and_Senior_Fire_Safety_Officer_Egan_p06csh8y_podcast.mp3

I need to remove the underscores and title so that it sorts numerically and also the word podcast and the PID e.g.

27 Firefighter OBeirne and Senior Fire Safety Officer Egan.mp3

I have used the Find and Replace option of Krename but don't know what to use in the Replace With field other than a space (ie using the spacebar) but that puts unwanted spaces in the file name and occasionally wont work for strings of characters.
How do you remove characters or text and replace them with nothing?

Secondly each file has its own PID identifier that varies but is in the format p06csh8y. Is there a way of stripping these out when the characters are variable bt fit a standard format? More on the BBC Program Identifier below. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Programme_Identifier#:~:text=A%20BBC%20Programme%20Identifier%20(PID,iPlayer%20viewers%2C%20and%20internal%20databases.

I am aware this issue is not limited to Krename but is a general programming/File Management routine but don't know where to ask questions as Krename doesn't appear to be developed or supported any more. If there is a specific source of information perhaps someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction.
User avatar Mamarok
Manager
OS
Why not use Kid3 for this? It will do exactly what you want and you can also get the proper ID3 tags for your mp3 format.

Currently running Kubuntu 20.04, Plasma 5.18.5, Frameworks 5.68.0, Qt 5.12.8, kernel 5.4.0-40
FWIW: it is always useful to state the exact Plasma version and distribution when asking questions in this forum, makes it easier for us to help ...
fozziebear
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:Why not use Kid3 for this? It will do exactly what you want and you can also get the proper ID3 tags for your mp3 format.

Thank you Mamarok but these are podcast files in m4a format which i'll convert to mp3 to be compatible with my mobile player. The software you have directed me to is specifically for mp3 music files and wont work with my podcast files as they dont have ID3 Tags.
I have been using Krename sucessfully for months to rename movie and other files I have downloaded but I am stuck on removing spaces and unwanted characters such as the 8 character PID. I am sure there must be a way of doing this but I am not a programmer and don't know the syntax.
Krename seems to use "Tokens" for advanced file name edits including " "\ which is supposed to remove trailing and leading spaces but I only want to remove a space before the extension.I am not sure how to even load tokens in the software.
I really need to hear from someonewho uses Krename regularly with complex file names.
Many thanks
Fozzie
visone
Registered Member
OS
Hi!
find --> any valor you want to change
replace with --> if you want a space, just press space or leave it blank por nothing
fozziebear
Registered Member
visone wrote:Hi!
find --> any valor you want to change
replace with --> if you want a space, just press space or leave it blank por nothing

Thanks Visone. I have tried this and if I put nothing in the Replace field the file remains unchanged. Also I am trying to remove spaces too.

Fozzie

Reply to topic