Reply to topic

Kate: scripts or external tools

jerry1970
Registered Member

Kate: scripts or external tools

Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:06 am
Hi all,

I am trying to add functionality to Kate but although I see documentation I am missing some info to start.

As an example, I'd like to create a script to surround the selected text in the editor with underscores, so it's in italics in a Markdown document, and then assign a shortcut Ctrl-Shift-I to that script.

First of all, I am on Ubuntu 20 with XFCE, using Kate 19.12.3 with KatePart 5.68.0. The $XDG_DATA_HOME variable is not set and I cannot find anything on indentation. I have one instance of katepart5 and that is the folder /usr/share/katepart5 which has a sub folder scripts that is empty.

Under Tools > Scripts there are Emmet, Navigation, Quick Coding, and Editing. And there is Tools > External Tools, which I see are configured in the Setting > Configure Kate > External Tools.

My questions are:
Using the kjs/KateScript/javascript sounded easiest, but where do the files go?
I assume these will show up under Scripts. Is that correct? Is there a way to group any more scripts like Emmet, Navigation, etc.?
Shouldn't the scripts already in the menu be somewhere on disc?

I also read this: "Developing an indenter requires reloading the scripts to see whether the changes behave appropriately. Instead of restarting the application, simply switch to the command line and invoke the command reload-scripts."
That "the command line" - is that Tools > Focus Terminal? It will show a docked window but no terminal there. Reloading scripts without having to close and reopen Kate would be very nice, of course.

I hope someone can help give me a few tips on how to get started.
User avatar pvzh
Registered Member
OS

Re: Kate: scripts or external tools

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:09 pm
Hello! I also like to add commands to Kate.

Scripts (*.js files) must be placed in the directory ~/.local/share/katepart5/script/commands
For convenience, I created a link to it inside Documents folder.

You can of course create groups for your scripts. This is set in the script itself:
category [optional]: If a category is specified, the script appears in a submenu.

https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/applica ... pting.html
User avatar pvzh
Registered Member
OS

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:18 pm
jerry1970 wrote:I also read this: "Developing an indenter requires reloading the scripts to see whether the changes behave appropriately. Instead of restarting the application, simply switch to the command line and invoke the command reload-scripts."

This refers to the Command line from the View menu (F7). Try to press F7 and enter help or help list.
User avatar pvzh
Registered Member
OS

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:31 pm
jerry1970 wrote:I'd like to create a script to surround the selected text in the editor with underscores, so it's in italics in a Markdown document

I made a draft, saved it as a file ~/.local/share/katepart5/script/commands/markdown.js and run command reload-scripts - it works!

Code: Select all
var katescript = {
    "author": "Average user",
    "license": "LGPLv2+",
    "revision": 1,
    "kate-version": "19",
    "functions": ["mdItalic"],
    "actions": [{
        "function": "mdItalic",
        "name": "Italic style",
        "category": "Markdown",
        "interactive": "false"