Reply to topic

New Internal Partition: I need write permission

User avatar ianp5a
Registered Member
Hi. I have just created a new partition on my internal SSD using KDE Partition Manager. But I cannot write files to it in Dolphin which says I do not have permission. In Dolphin Right-Click-Properties-Permissions is set to root. And the fields are greyed out and can't be changed.
Is there any easy GUI way for normal users to fix this?
Or is there a better way to create a partition so that I can use it with the right permissions right away?
thanks
User avatar Mamarok
Manager
OS
What kind of partition did you create, which file system?

Currently running Kubuntu Hirsute Hippo, Plasma 5.21.4, Frameworks 5.81.0, Qt 5.15.2, kernel 5.11.0-13
FWIW: it is always useful to state the exact Plasma version and distribution when asking questions, makes it easier for us to help ...
User avatar ianp5a
Registered Member
Primary, EXT4 , not LUKS encryped. On Kubuntu 20.10
But I'd be happy to wipe it and do it some other way if it helped.
User avatar claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Once you have created an ext4 file system, it needs to have non-root permissions set, either in the mounting or of the directories created on it. This is true of most Linux file systems, afaik.

One quick and simpler way:
https://itsfoss.com/set-write-permissio ... ntu-linux/
If you intend to have this mounted as a particular directory (such as /home) you can do this via creating a line in your /etc/fstab file for it, and creating the directory if needed. But the above works well for most cases. You can easily find the path by clicking on the drive in Dolphin's side bar, then click on the address area above the directory window to reveal the full path needed to set the permissions. This is less confusing and is often more clear than using the blkid command.

fat32 or exfat file systems, such as found on flash drives and older Windows installs, don't have permissions functionality, so you would not get this error. But they are not anywhere near as robust as ext4 or NTFS

Windows NTFS does have permissions capabilities, but they are not enabled out of the box, or at least in Linux when I create them. This is a good option if you need to use a directory in both Windows and Linux

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
User avatar ianp5a
Registered Member
Thanks but I'm looking for a solution for non IT experienced users. I'm worried a long series of hacks is going to scare people off of using KDE.
It turns out that where Dolphin fails, the Krusader program can change the permissions using Right click ->Properties.
I also understand the Gnome Disks program can create the partition with the user permissions already set. But this really needs a fix, as normal users can manage most other things easily in Plasma.

Last edited by ianp5a on Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar ianp5a
Registered Member
This problem seems to be a known bug:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=407192

Reply to topic