Reply to topic

Kalarm Menu from tray icon is not showing up

COKEDUDE
Registered Member
Posts
57
Karma
0
Whenever I click the the tray icon the menu does not show up. This should help
give you an idea of what I am talking about. If you look closely you can see my
mouse is on the kalarm icon and the menu is not showing up.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh13 ... shot-1.png

I don't have that many settings or alarms so I don't care if I have to reset my
setting so I tried that already. I tried to purge my settings and then I
searched my computer for anything on it that said kalarm and I also deleted it.
sudo apt-get purge kalarm

Then I reinstalled kalarm and I still had the problem of my menu not showing up
when I clicked my tray icon.
User avatar google01103
Manager
Posts
6668
Karma
25
if you create and log in as a new user does it show?

did it ever work correctly? did you recently do a major upgrade, like from 4.5 to 4.6?

you should include the distro and version of it and kde that you are running, I'm assuming Mint 10 because of the web page shown in the pic


OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

COKEDUDE
Registered Member
Posts
57
Karma
0
google01103 wrote:if you create and log in as a new user does it show?

did it ever work correctly? did you recently do a major upgrade, like from 4.5 to 4.6?

you should include the distro and version of it and kde that you are running, I'm assuming Mint 10 because of the web page shown in the pic


The program works but the tray icon the menu does not show up.

Yes it has worked correctly for several months. I always apply mintupdates whenever they show up. Do you know of a way that I can check if I updated kde? I am currently using:
kde 4.4.5
kalarm 2.4.10

I am using Linux Mint 9. Linux Mint uses Ubuntu's repository in case you are not familiar with Mint. I plan on switching to fedora kde whenever I get time to back up all of my data.
User avatar google01103
Manager
Posts
6668
Karma
25
when you hover over the icon in the system tray does the upcoming events window popup?

my suggestion is to determine if it is a problem with KDE or your config is to create a new user and test there, I know you tried cleaning up the kalarm config files but maybe it's a plasma/panel issue


OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

COKEDUDE
Registered Member
Posts
57
Karma
0
google01103 wrote:when you hover over the icon in the system tray does the upcoming events window popup?

my suggestion is to determine if it is a problem with KDE or your config is to create a new user and test there, I know you tried cleaning up the kalarm config files but maybe it's a plasma/panel issue


I already tried with a new user account. Thats what I was saying when I said The program works but the tray menu does not show up.

What would you recommend next?

Any idea how to downgrade to KDE version 4.4.2? I found a previous bug that I filed in the kde bugs and I was using KDE version 4.4.2.
User avatar google01103
Manager
Posts
6668
Karma
25
I'd upgrade to 4.6.1 which is due out today - 4.4.5 is a bit old

downgrading can be problematic if the config files/layouts have changed, though 4.4.2 shouldn't be a big leap

no idea how to downgrade in Mint but in openSuse 1st thing I'd due is change all the repositories to the earlier version


OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

COKEDUDE
Registered Member
Posts
57
Karma
0
google01103 wrote:I'd upgrade to 4.6.1 which is due out today - 4.4.5 is a bit old

downgrading can be problematic if the config files/layouts have changed, though 4.4.2 shouldn't be a big leap

no idea how to downgrade in Mint but in openSuse 1st thing I'd due is change all the repositories to the earlier version


How do I reset all of my kde config files?

Does openSuse use deb, rpm, or something else for program updates?
User avatar google01103
Manager
Posts
6668
Karma
25
if you rename ~/.kde it will change everything back to a the defaults, it should probably be done when you're not running kde as yourself, but I wouldn't worry too much about going from 4.4.2 from 4.4.5

openSuse uses rpm's and has it's own package management sw, I have no idea how Mint/Kubuntu does it - you could as the question "how do i downgrade from 4.4.5 to 4.4.2" in a new thread.

I repeat 4.4.x is old, lots of bugs have since been fixed - you should go forward not back


OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x


 
Reply to topic

Bookmarks



Who is online

Registered users: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Lachu, Mamarok, MarkJamesDolanArt, mcoudert, raphaelra, rblackwell, Snudl