Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:44 am
We've just released 0.6.0, packagers are packaging it now. We've not announced it on any news sites yet, as we wanted the forums to be the first to know.
Let us know what you think. What do you like? What parts would you like to see improved?
Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 am
I am using Kubuntu daily ppa repo so some smail things might be different from the official (not yet) release.
I think it is a big improvement over 0.5 version!!
I would wish for call capacities in ICQ as I use that professionally and I know it works in "icq pure". Some way of "hooking in" Skype like I could in 0.5 (maybe that works but I have not been able) would be great.
Metacontacts ala Kopete would be awesome.
Smaller issues: when I disconnect an account I get an notification ala "there was a problem with account si-and-so. You disconnected it" (not quite like that but that is the core of it). Yes I know I disconnected an account, I do not need to be notified of that...
The systray icon: If I set it to "automatic" I expect it to stay hidden when I am offline and only be constant visibly when I am online. Today it is visible unless I set it to be hidden.
There is still some confusion in the message notification system, they can appear in the systray and the notifications even if I have the chat window open and am active in the discussion.
Keep up the work, it has really become much better in a very short space of time!
Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:08 pm
First of all I want to say that the kde telepathy project is one of the few projects that shows how to do it the right way. I've had an eye on it since 0.3 or even 0.2 and although it had not much features back then it was robust from the start; no annoying crashes, no popup-bombs, no hanging windows et cetera and I think this is because you have no problem to just delay features when they are not ready. I emphasize this because that is really not that common in kde sc releases as the last years have demonstrated (I don't want to give examples here but I think a lot of people agree). Thank you for this!
To your question: I only used 0.6 beta but assume that there is not much difference feature-wise.
* Of course first comes to mind meta-contacts. But I know this is work in progress.
* For my (and maybe other's) workflow it would be optimal to be able to communicate without the need of a mouse. At least answering messages without mouse is a must for me. The quick-chat applet seems to be the solution for this but it doesn't work for me yet (maybe just because of beta?). Starting conversations quickly without mouse would be a really nice plus.
* The command-line tool for sending messages seems really nice. Would be cool if that gets in a releasable state soon (just for my convinience actually because I'm too lazy to not use my package manager. :P)
* Sadly file transfers doesn't really work for me in jabber and in link-local-XMPP-networks. The link-local-xmpp-network seems to be largely broken anyhow. But I was told that this is telepathy's fault and not yours. I did a few bug-reports on its tracker but there is no response. Is this even actively developed?
* In the contact list it seems that contacts are always grouped no matter what. Is there a way to disable contact grouping at all?
This is what I recall right now. I will add things as soon as they catch my mind.