Reply to topic

[Idea] New cursor theme

User avatar Kver
Registered Member
Posts
325
Karma
2
OS

Re: [Idea] New cursor theme

Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:01 am
Sogatori wrote:@Kver
There's still one icon missing for me, unfortunately.
Image
But the rest looks fantastic already! :)


Hmmm... I'm having a bit of trouble finding exactly what's missing, all the pointer-cursors appear to be in order.

While I figure that out, I've put this project on GitHub: any future issues should go on there; I should have done it a while ago, anyway. I'm getting nervious that I'm overstepping in this thread. :-\

GitHub: https://github.com/Ken-Vermette/Bridge-Cursor


Reformed lurker.
Sogatori
Registered Member
Posts
209
Karma
1
OS

Re: [Idea] New cursor theme

Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:25 am
Kver wrote:
Sogatori wrote:@Kver
There's still one icon missing for me, unfortunately.
Image
But the rest looks fantastic already! :)


Hmmm... I'm having a bit of trouble finding exactly what's missing, all the pointer-cursors appear to be in order.

While I figure that out, I've put this project on GitHub: any future issues should go on there; I should have done it a while ago, anyway. I'm getting nervious that I'm overstepping in this thread. :-\

GitHub: https://github.com/Ken-Vermette/Bridge-Cursor

It's this Hand thingy with extended index finger - you've called it "pointer" on your preview picture, I believe.
User avatar alake
Registered Member
Posts
591
Karma
3
OS

Re: [Idea] New cursor theme

Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:54 am
Great stuff from everyone!

I'll put together the submission for the Plasma team this week. Such fantastic work. Even though I didn't lift a finger here, I'm super proud to be a VDG member with the quality of work like this thread is producing!

Much respect!
User avatar jensreuterberg
Registered Member
Posts
598
Karma
3
OS

Re: [Idea] New cursor theme

Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:40 am
Yeah ok so I introduced Bridge to the Plasma Dev during the monday meeting and got a mass of "+++" etc. So all is go ahead as long as we can solve whatever technical issues involved.

So that will be the new cursor theme for Plasma Next as it is - the other one will be presented next monday (I don't want to overwhelm the devs ;) )

Awesome work everyone!


KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
User avatar colomar
Registered Member
Posts
944
Karma
2
OS

Re: [Idea] New cursor theme

Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:28 pm
I can only agree with Andre and Jens: This is awesome work!

And @kver: I really like the name "Bridge"! It reflects the fact that it takes the Oxygen theme and transfers it into a new design age pretty well, and it fits with the name of the default Plasma theme, "Breeze", really well, too!
sir_herrbatka
Registered Member
Posts
212
Karma
0

Re: [Idea] New cursor theme

Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:01 pm
Well, http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Pe ... ent=164507 Here you can download perspective if you want it.
User avatar jensreuterberg
Registered Member
Posts
598
Karma
3
OS

Re: [Idea] New cursor theme

Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:09 pm
Darn it! I may need to explain myself here.

Ok so I just saw Bridge and it was the one I could show during the monday meeting. That does NOT mean that Perspective is excluded or something. Rather that I didn't have it available. I will of course introduce it too and if everything goes as planned - both will be in. I'm sorry if it looks strange when Andrew says one thing and I another.

Just so everyone knows the plan is to have BOTH and let the user decide.


KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
sir_herrbatka
Registered Member
Posts
212
Karma
0

Re: [Idea] New cursor theme

Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:30 pm
Just so everyone knows the plan is to have BOTH and let the user decide.

Actually everyone seems to love bridge ;-)

At this point i think it is more about if we want to keep kde classic cursor or replace it with something that does not look like it was made in the 80s ;-)
User avatar flying sheep
Registered Member
Posts
54
Karma
0
OS

Re: [Idea] New cursor theme

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:00 pm
Kver wrote:
Sogatori wrote:@Kver
There's still one icon missing for me, unfortunately.
Image
But the rest looks fantastic already! :)


Hmmm... I'm having a bit of trouble finding exactly what's missing, all the pointer-cursors appear to be in order.

While I figure that out, I've put this project on GitHub: any future issues should go on there; I should have done it a while ago, anyway. I'm getting nervious that I'm overstepping in this thread. :-\

GitHub: https://github.com/Ken-Vermette/Bridge-Cursor

unfortunately i don’t have time to fix it all, but left_side is still missing, and the links for the following are still broken:
  • cross
  • crossed_circle
  • dnd-link
  • forbidden
  • h_double_arrow
  • hand1
  • hand2
  • sb_h_double_arrow
  • sb_v_double_arrow
  • size_all
  • v_double_arrow

when creating links on the command line, they’ll link to exactly what you enter, e.g.:

ln -s foo/bar baz

creates a link to foo/bar. so when creating the "cross" link, don’t do

ln -s /home/kver/Downloads/bridge/cursors/crosshair /home/kver/Downloads/bridge/cursors/cross

but

ln -s crosshair /home/kver/Downloads/bridge/cursors/cross
User avatar Kver
Registered Member
Posts
325
Karma
2
OS

Re: [Idea] New cursor theme

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:28 pm
flying sheep wrote:unfortunately i don’t have time to fix it all, but left_side is still missing, and the links for the following are still broken:
  • cross
  • crossed_circle
  • dnd-link
  • forbidden
  • h_double_arrow
  • hand1
  • hand2
  • sb_h_double_arrow
  • sb_v_double_arrow
  • size_all
  • v_double_arrow

when creating links on the command line, they’ll link to exactly what you enter, e.g.:

ln -s foo/bar baz

creates a link to foo/bar. so when creating the "cross" link, don’t do

ln -s /home/kver/Downloads/bridge/cursors/crosshair /home/kver/Downloads/bridge/cursors/cross

but

ln -s crosshair /home/kver/Downloads/bridge/cursors/cross


*laughs*

I just loaded the cursors onto my computer at work and found exactly what you *just* pointed out - that they were all pointing to files on my computer. Explains why it all looked good to me at home; though I'm curious as to how they got linked like that, since I'm sure they were linked properly at one point.

Anyway, I was literally coming here to post that I fixed that issue and uploaded the revision.

I've also added the left_side; I just noticed that this stuff got onto PlanetKDE so I'm aiming to get these issues ironed out before people start putting deffective cursor sets onto their computers. :<

Thanks a lot btw; if left to my own devices I'm pretty sure computers would be catching fire if they tried to load these cursors.

Last edited by Kver on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Reformed lurker.
sir_herrbatka
Registered Member
Posts
212
Karma
0

Re: [Idea] New cursor theme

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:41 pm
hm, you pushed png files to the git repo. It is not a good idea.
User avatar Nuc!eoN
Registered Member
Posts
38
Karma
0
OS

Re: [Idea] New cursor theme

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:58 pm
@sir_herrbatka:
The cursor pack you've uploaded lacks an "index.theme" file.
To the design: In my opinion the main cursor is a bit to small/compressed, maybe it should be a bit longer? Also I don't like the diagonal approach for the pointer cursor (the palm, but maybe I'd just need to accustomize..). The text cursor hm... looks a bit old fashioned ;) And maybe it would be nicer for the cursor contours to have some shade of grey instead of black, to make it look a bit "smoother" (just an idea though).
Ah and then, shouldn't the the hand "grab" windows in order to move them instead of just touching them (fist instead of palm)? :P

What I especially like though, are the small status icons (top right: red cross, etc)!

All just my personal impression though! ;)
User avatar flying sheep
Registered Member
Posts
54
Karma
0
OS

Re: [Idea] New cursor theme

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:10 pm
sir_herrbatka wrote:hm, you pushed png files to the git repo. It is not a good idea.
why not?
User avatar flying sheep
Registered Member
Posts
54
Karma
0
OS

Re: [Idea] New cursor theme

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:16 pm
Kver wrote:*laughs*

I just loaded the cursors onto my computer at work and found exactly what you *just* pointed out - that they were all pointing to files on my computer. Explains why it all looked good to me at home; though I'm curious as to how they got linked like that, since I'm sure they were linked properly at one point.

Anyway, I was literally coming here to post that I fixed that issue and uploaded the revision.

I've also added the left_side; I just noticed that this stuff got onto PlanetKDE so I'm aiming to get these issues ironed out before people start putting deffective cursor sets onto their computers. :<

Thanks a lot btw; if left to my own devices I'm pretty sure computers would be catching fire if they tried to load these cursors.

it’s not fixed on github though :)
sir_herrbatka
Registered Member
Posts
212
Karma
0

Re: [Idea] New cursor theme

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:28 pm
The cursor pack you've uploaded lacks an "index.theme" file.

Well, should be added but it works even without it, right? ;-)

To the design: In my opinion the main cursor is a bit to small/compressed, maybe it should be a bit longer?

I would rather not. This curor is already rather large when compared to the DMZ.

Also I don't like the diagonal approach for the pointer cursor (the palm, but maybe I'd just need to accustomize..).

It feels a bit odd at first but i really like it!

The text cursor hm... looks a bit old fashioned

Because it was actually modeled after the X.org default cursor. It is my favorite text cursor approach.

And maybe it would be nicer for the cursor contours to have some shade of grey instead of black, to make it look a bit "smoother" (just an idea though).

I tried it. It just does not feel right.

Ah and then, shouldn't the the hand "grab" windows in order to move them instead of just touching them (fist instead of palm)?

Actually it should be cross directional arrow according to specs. I just like the palm to much.

What I especially like though, are the small status icons (top right: red cross, etc)!

Glad you like it!

why not?

Git is ill-suited for compresing anything other than a text file. And repository actually contains not only the last file versions but all files, from all branches so adding graphics is usually not the best idea (unless you know that it won't be changed – not the case here).

 
Reply to topic

Bookmarks



Who is online

Registered users: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], cya, davide445, Google [Bot], janpla, jeffgila, jmacleod, Majestic-12 [Bot], Mamarok, TechnoJunky, TheBeheader, wind_rose_2