Reply to topic

[Design Project] System Settings

User avatar Heiko Tietze
Registered Member
OS
colomar wrote:...Date and Time KCM. It's probably always read from the locale settings...

The interesting question is how we handle those settings that are related to more than KCM. We can either a) just show the value, or rather use a link to have it just a click away, or b) we replicate it and inform the user that something else have been changed as well, or c) we forbid those duplicates. Option a) has the disadvantage that 'back' should go to the calling page instead of the home page, b) could result in UX problems and might be difficult to code (or, in case we do not inform, may have unexpected results), and c) is not what we want with the new SySe. IMHO a) is the best option, and works as extension to 'See as well'.
User avatar ken300
Registered Member
Heiko Tietze,

Is the 'network time protocol' you talk about different from the 'Set Date & Time Automatically' tick box with the 'Time Server' drop down box below it? I simply copied the settings that were on the current 'Date & Time' & 'Time Zones' pages and put them on my single page (and added the '12/24 hour' selection to see what comments & suggestions were made about it).

Do i understand your response to Colomar's post just before this one that you prefer the option of just leaving the 12/24 hour option on the new 'Formats' page ONLY (that will replace the about the 'Country/Region & Language' page)?

If so would you put a very clear link to the 'Formats' page, replacing the current 12/24 hour radio buttons, saying something like '12 hour format' or '24 hour format' & link to the 'Formats' page when it's clicked on or just have the link to the 'Formats' page in the 'See also' links if we have them?

If we just have the link in the 'See also' list of links then i don't really see the point in having something in place of the 12/24 hour radio buttons in my mockup to tell users that they're in '12 hour mode' or '24 hour mode', i think people would just click on it and be confused when nothing happens - maybe just get rid of anything to do with 12/24 hours next to the clock?

Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated
User avatar colomar
Registered Member
OS

Re: [Design Project] System Settings

Mon May 26, 2014 10:35 am
I've just confirmed with a developer that it's not possible to set 12/24h separately, instead the user can only set a locale for "Time", so duplicating that setting in the Date and Time KCM would be weird (since it wouldn't read "24 Hour" but e.g. "German - Germany").
Therefore I'd personally vote for having a "See also" link to the Locale KCM.
User avatar ken300
Registered Member
Colomar,

cool - i'll make the 12/24 hour thing vanish in a puff of smoke & make a note that one of the 'See also' links should be to the 'Formats' page, thanks!
User avatar ken300
Registered Member
A quick one this time - what do you think of allowing setting the clock time not only by clicking on the '+' & '-' above and below the clock but also allowing the numbers to be increased/decreased with the mouse scroll wheel whilst hovering over the numbers or is that just making things things unnecessarily overcomplicated code-wise just to make it look fancy?
User avatar Heiko Tietze
Registered Member
OS
ken300 wrote:...setting the clock time not only by clicking on the '+' & '-' above and below the clock but also allowing the numbers to be increased/decreased with the mouse scroll wheel...
Did you know the HIG about date/time pickers? http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usabil ... me_Pickers
User avatar ken300
Registered Member
Heiko Tietze,

Thanks.

I did, but that refers to how things are done now and if we're going to just stick rigidly to doing things how they're done now then we'll end up with something that looks like (and has the usability of) what we've got now - i thought the idea was to see if we could improve things & make them easier to use.

I was just asking whether having the ability to use the scroll wheel to adjust the numbers was an idea worth putting in there or whether you all thought it was needless, unnecessary fluff that would just make the code more complicated and should be left out.
User avatar Heiko Tietze
Registered Member
OS
It was meant to support your idea. Take from this page whatever you need.
We should have direct access, of course, but mouse wheel is too imprecise in my opinion. And I have no idea about the use case, why it needs to be accessible via wheel.

PS: You can call me just Heiko ;D
User avatar ken300
Registered Member
Heiko,

I've just had a play (which i should have done before) and i wasn't aware but the mouse scroll wheel can be used to change the numbers as i described already in the 'Date & Time' module, it's just not obvious because the clock is so small! So NOT having the numbers changed by the scroll wheel would mean removing features so unless there's objections i think maybe we should do it!!!!!
User avatar colomar
Registered Member
OS
If the functionality is already in there now I see no reason to remove it, either. As long as it's not the main way to change the values but only a convenience function, it doesn't hurt.
User avatar ken300
Registered Member

Tue May 27, 2014 11:01 am
Colomar,

I agree, that would come under 'change for changes sake' & that's stupid! Doing that will only make us enemies & i don't think we need any of them!!!!!
User avatar colomar
Registered Member
OS

Tue May 27, 2014 12:11 pm
ken300 wrote:Colomar,

I agree, that would come under 'change for changes sake' & that's stupid! Doing that will only make us enemies & i don't think we need any of them!!!!!

No need for all the exclamation marks, Ken, we're all on your side ;) I assume Heiko wasn't aware that this function is already there and I agree with him that implementing a small convenience function in a settings dialog might not be worth the effort to implement if it wasn't already there. Given that it's already there, I don't think anyone would argue for removing it :)
User avatar anditosan
Registered Member
OS
I wanted to show what I have been working on about a new system settings. See how you like it. The idea here is to minimize the impact the categories have on the visual for the System Settings. Adding a sidebar with all the main categories makes it easier for a user to find their way into what they look for. What is easier, to choose 1 thing among 100 or 1 thing among 10? That's the logic behind this proposal. Also, the main window will contain a short list of the most recently used KCMs for quick access. If you want to follow more about this design, I am posting KCM ideas in a new thread http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=121387. This one can be for the main window and the new thread only for KCM design.

User avatar alake
Registered Member
OS
anditosan wrote:I wanted to show what I have been working on about a new system settings. See how you like it. The idea here is to minimize the impact the categories have on the visual for the System Settings. Adding a sidebar with all the main categories makes it easier for a user to find their way into what they look for. What is easier, to choose 1 thing among 100 or 1 thing among 10? That's the logic behind this proposal. Also, the main window will contain a short list of the most recently used KCMs for quick access. If you want to follow more about this design, I am posting KCM ideas in a new thread http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=121387. This one can be for the main window and the new thread only for KCM design.

You already how much I love this! :-) Probably worth posting to viewtopic.php?f=285&t=121052 instead since that's where the top level system settings work is happening.
User avatar ken300
Registered Member
anditosan,

That's brilliant!

The only (tiny) thing that i would say is that there seems to be quite a lot of text below the big 'System settings' in the middle of the page but i'd be really happy to start using that exactly as it is tomorrow :)

To repeat it again - it's brilliant.

Reply to topic