Reply to topic

[Idea] New window style for KDE 5

rkay
Registered Member
I prepared a svg base of my concept. If anyone wants to use it, it's here: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/ ... 7eyb4n.svg
I think it's mostly completed, but maybe you have some good ideas. If so, then feel free to modify it.
User avatar Hans
Administrator
OS
I really like everyone's suggestions in this thread, please keep it up!
I think my current favorite is this one:

garthecho wrote:Also, here's the updated version of what I posted earlier, using the grey instead of black, and changing the border style.

and blue

It's minimal yet not too boring. I like the old-school ("Windows") button icons, because I find them clearer than ^ and v.
How about making making the active window blue and passive windows gray?
That way the titlebar text color would better match the decoration color as well.

The only thing I would change is the spacing to the left of the titlebar text - what's the rationale behind that?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
User avatar garthecho
Registered Member
OS
The only thing I would change is the spacing to the left of the titlebar text - what's the rationale behind that?

No rationale, just liked it spaced. :) I'll do an update with some of those changes.

Here's another with better shadows and smaller button spacing.

removed left spacing

User avatar scummos
KDE Developer
OS
Quite pretty. I think I like the round buttons better than the rectangular ones.

User avatar garthecho
Registered Member
OS
Another working version of the above shot. Just install it like you would any Aurorae theme.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/318 ... -round.zip
User avatar jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS
This is brilliant! Ok so I'm trying to get a feel for all the different finished Aurorae version so we can post them (I'd really love to get them all up on the blog as they are working examples.

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
User avatar garthecho
Registered Member
OS
Let me get them together and I'll post them here in a bit.
User avatar garthecho
Registered Member
OS
Here's what I have so far. Let me know about anything! :) I am very much ineterested in collaborative work and do not mind criticism.

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=164722

White buttons version (my personal favorite)

example of what a dark theme could look like

User avatar industrie13
Registered Member
OS
The blue buttons do have a stronger contrast and therefor they are faster recognisable, however I also like the white buttons more because they are more decent and don't interfer with the rest of the design.
One could argue, that this introduces a third color ...

In the dark theme, it works a bit better, because you can take the color of the grey line above for the buttons ...

I'm undecided ... :D
User avatar garthecho
Registered Member
OS
industrie13 wrote:In the dark theme, it works a bit better, because you can take the color of the grey line above for the buttons ...

On a hunch, I've applied that idea to the light button theme. Obviously, because it's white, it's perceived as a lighting effect, but I think it's actually my favorite so far! :) It solves my perceived delmna of having too much blue, but keeping enough to be considered trademark "KDE".

Last edited by garthecho on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar colomar
Registered Member
OS
I personally still like the one with the square buttons most because the one with the round buttons looks a bit like a flattened version of Oxygen. It certainly doesn't look bad, but the one with the squares appears more "unique" to me.

This thread shows once more how wonderful community design is, I love it!
User avatar lazyit
Registered Member
OS
garthecho wrote:

If you ask me, I do not like the icons and the words together, and the icons seem too big
User avatar lazyit
Registered Member
OS
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/ ... 7eyb4n.svg
This is my favorite, i like the clear line and i like don't have a blue glow around the window
User avatar colomar
Registered Member
OS
lazyit wrote:If you ask me, I do not like the icons and the words together, and the icons seem too big

We're talking about the window decoration, not the toolbar. And the toolbar labels are just a setting (they are shown by default), so we do not need to decide about them.
User avatar garthecho
Registered Member
OS
One more with new button icons. This one moves away from the Oxygen look.

Mouse over highlights

Reply to topic