Topic locked

[Design Help Wanted] Wallpapers

prosmaninho
Registered Member
Posts
50
Karma
0

Re: [Design Help Wanted] Wallpapers

Thu May 15, 2014 4:10 pm
Uri_Herrera wrote:Does mine qualify?



I really hope so. It's gorgeous.
User avatar daedaluz
Registered Member
Posts
85
Karma
0
OS

Re: [Design Help Wanted] Wallpapers

Thu May 15, 2014 8:39 pm
This is great.

Image

From https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-backgrounds/

It doesn't have author mentioned in AUTHORS, so I assume it's GPLv2.
User avatar jensreuterberg
Registered Member
Posts
590
Karma
3
OS

Re: [Design Help Wanted] Wallpapers

Thu May 15, 2014 11:12 pm
Deadalus: thats heavily based on the Ubuntu Gnome wallpaper so that would probably not be a good thing - although I totally agree it is wonderful


KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"
silencer
Registered Member
Posts
6
Karma
0

Re: [Design Help Wanted] Wallpapers

Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm
Uri_Herrera wrote:Does mine qualify?



Hi! What dock is that? looks amazing!
User avatar ivan
KDE Developer
Posts
829
Karma
14
OS

Re: [Design Help Wanted] Wallpapers

Fri May 16, 2014 8:42 pm
@daedaluz We can't really take gnome wallpapers.

p.s. GPL stuff also requires the author, just as any other copyright statement. (public domain, which is not legally recognized by all countries is "without" an author)


Image
User avatar Uri_Herrera
Registered Member
Posts
194
Karma
0
OS

Re: [Design Help Wanted] Wallpapers

Sat May 17, 2014 12:42 am
silencer wrote:
Uri_Herrera wrote:Does mine qualify?



Hi! What dock is that? looks amazing!


A panel, my icons, my Plasma theme and the icon tasks plasmoid.
16777216
Registered Member
Posts
8
Karma
0

Re: [Design Help Wanted] Wallpapers

Sat May 17, 2014 5:53 am
ivan wrote:p.s. GPL stuff also requires the author, just as any other copyright statement. (public domain, which is not legally recognized by all countries is "without" an author)


If I have done it incorrectly please point me in the right direction. Do I need to embed my name and/or other information in the files metadata or in an external file along side them?

I still have the original files and can embed any information in them for official use. So I guess just count what I have posted as high quality previews if that is the case.
User avatar ivan
KDE Developer
Posts
829
Karma
14
OS

Re: [Design Help Wanted] Wallpapers

Sat May 17, 2014 6:20 am
@16777216 My answer was directed at daedaluz who posted a gnome wallpaper with a note "It doesn't have author mentioned in AUTHORS, so I assume it's GPLv2."


Image
User avatar daedaluz
Registered Member
Posts
85
Karma
0
OS

Re: [Design Help Wanted] Wallpapers

Sat May 17, 2014 11:45 am
ivan wrote:@daedaluz We can't really take gnome wallpapers.

p.s. GPL stuff also requires the author, just as any other copyright statement. (public domain, which is not legally recognized by all countries is "without" an author)

If you ask them nicely? Isn't FOSS all about communities and sharing and collaboration etc etc? No?
User avatar ivan
KDE Developer
Posts
829
Karma
14
OS

Re: [Design Help Wanted] Wallpapers

Sat May 17, 2014 4:16 pm
> collaboration etc etc? No?

Heh, wish it was true.

We would not have a legal problem (if the wallpaper is gpl or any other open license), but more of a troll-hate-backlash problem, and a lot of bad publicity.


p.s. opensuse had quite a problem adopting the stripes wallpaper for their release [1] due to their gnome team and the fact that it came from kde.

[1] http://geeko.ioda.net/git/art/wallpaper ... 24x600.jpg


Image
Sogatori
Registered Member
Posts
194
Karma
0
OS

Re: [Design Help Wanted] Wallpapers

Sat May 17, 2014 5:07 pm
daedaluz wrote:
ivan wrote:@daedaluz We can't really take gnome wallpapers.

p.s. GPL stuff also requires the author, just as any other copyright statement. (public domain, which is not legally recognized by all countries is "without" an author)

If you ask them nicely? Isn't FOSS all about communities and sharing and collaboration etc etc? No?

Additionally to what Ivan said: I think it's also a bit tasteless to ship wallpapers that are part of another projects identity (The same/a very similar wallpaper was the default in GNOME 3.12 IIRC). It could be done, but I don't think it's a good idea.
User avatar ivan
KDE Developer
Posts
829
Karma
14
OS

Re: [Design Help Wanted] Wallpapers

Mon May 19, 2014 9:10 pm
Why am I the only one spamming the VDG gallery on DA?


Image
User avatar Uri_Herrera
Registered Member
Posts
194
Karma
0
OS

Re: [Design Help Wanted] Wallpapers

Mon May 19, 2014 9:52 pm
ivan wrote:Why am I the only one spamming the VDG gallery on DA?


What's the link?.
User avatar ivan
KDE Developer
Posts
829
Karma
14
OS
User avatar Fri13
Registered Member
Posts
381
Karma
4
OS

Re: [Design Help Wanted] Wallpapers

Tue May 20, 2014 7:57 pm
The theme "For Future" is pretty... wide theme to for photography. The "For Future" can be everything from babies to growing flora or from construction sites to libraries.

Examples these two fits to "for Future" category:

http://imgur.com/a/mvbBd#1
http://imgur.com/a/mvbBd#2

 
Topic locked

Bookmarks



Who is online

Registered users: americogobbo, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], davidemme, Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], jgreenbaum, koriun, La Ninje, Majestic-12 [Bot], michelmassoud, MSNbot Media, rv8ter, Uri_Herrera, YaCy [Bot], Yahoo [Bot], zakibob