Reply to topic

Grub -> Boot Loader -> Login Screen -> Kicker -> Session ->

User avatar andreas_k
Registered Member
Posts
561
Karma
0
status update:

we have a wiki page https://community.kde.org/KDE_Visual_De ... fied_Login problem is that the wikis are locked at the moment.

GRUB THEME
here is the grub theme you can download and install it (testers are very welcome)
video https://share.kde.org/index.php/s/XaqpgyiTbzua3oT
repository https://projects.kde.org/projects/kdere ... repository


Plymounth Theme
the plymounth theme is work in progress but is also available for testers
repository https://projects.kde.org/projects/kdere ... repository


SDDM Login theme

and for domain or remote login


Splash Screen
we can use the kde or an plasma logo. as the plasma desktop use the kde logo for start
I would use the kde logo, but whatever the dev's prefere.


User Switch


That's are the sections for unified design so what do you think? do we miss something some sugestions?

If possible we add some USEFULL animations (most of them are to reduce the "waiting time")
User avatar alake
Registered Member
Posts
591
Karma
3
OS
User avatar notmart
KDE Developer
Posts
220
Karma
1
OS
I think we'll end up still having to provide the option for a wallpaper (and in that case fallback to the dark stripe for readability) since you know users...

but as default, it's really growing on me ;D
User avatar elvisangelaccio
Registered Member
Posts
38
Karma
0
OS
This is so cool, although I don't use grub. Looking forward to it!
User avatar andreas_k
Registered Member
Posts
561
Karma
0
notmart wrote:I think we'll end up still having to provide the option for a wallpaper (and in that case fallback to the dark stripe for readability) since you know users...

but as default, it's really growing on me ;D


phil already think about the contrast. the round icon had an dark and light boarder and the light text had an dark outline. in addition there is an dark gradient on bottom to give more contrast. so everything is well designed (thanks phil). you can see the result with the default wallpaper.
kbroulik
KDE Developer
Posts
130
Karma
0
OS
This is good stuff! What happened to the "neon" GIF with all the fancy animations when logging in? :)

Shortcomings of the current infrastructure/design which we should overcome:
* No way to input a custom username in SDDM, this makes it completely useless for corporate environments. I don't think "Remote Login" is an appropriate name though (makes me think of XDMCP *cringe*)
* No keyboard layout switcher on SDDM (a patch for it was just merged though)
* No network config in SDDM
* No guest user functionality

I would really like to improve the user switcher experience, I don't think we should allow the user to log into the same graphical session multiple times, instead, we should just switch to the current session if we're on the login screen. I think there's even some concepts that show "Unlock" instead of "Login", and the mockups already indicate "Logged in". Also, I'm not sure if we actually need the progress bar on the splash screen, on my laptop it basically shoots to 90% just to sit there for a while until Plasma is loaded; on slower machines it usually sits at 10% for a while and then speeds to 100%.

I'm not a huge fan of the blue tbh but maybe I start to like it over time. But yes, we need an option for the wallpaper; possibly even route that through the steps. Plymouth cannot do this but then SDDM starts up with a blue gradient which then fades to the wallpaper, so you get a nice experience. KSplash then also uses this wallpaper.

There were ideas of showing the user's wallpaper, probably blurry, Ubuntu and OSX do this and while I like this idea I'm not too sure we should do this due to privacy. Moreover, wallpapers in Plasma are much more complicated than just an image so we probably cannot do this easily anyway.
User avatar andreas_k
Registered Member
Posts
561
Karma
0
kbroulik wrote:This is good stuff! What happened to the "neon" GIF with all the fancy animations when logging in? :)


thanks animations are available and will come :)

kbroulik wrote:Shortcomings of the current infrastructure/design which we should overcome:
* No way to input a custom username in SDDM, this makes it completely useless for corporate environments. I don't think "Remote Login" is an appropriate name though (makes me think of XDMCP *cringe*)
* No keyboard layout switcher on SDDM (a patch for it was just merged though)
* No network config in SDDM
* No guest user functionality


in the bottom panel is the place to move additional information if something is not possible it is not there. I will only show center is the focus bottom additonal stuff like in plasma center is your application bottom the panel where you get additional things.

kbroulik wrote:I would really like to improve the user switcher experience, I don't think we should allow the user to log into the same graphical session multiple times, instead, we should just switch to the current session if we're on the login screen. I think there's even some concepts that show "Unlock" instead of "Login", and the mockups already indicate "Logged in".


It would be awesome if we can talk about user switcher at CERN Sprint.


kbroulik wrote:Also, I'm not sure if we actually need the progress bar on the splash screen, on my laptop it basically shoots to 90% just to sit there for a while until Plasma is loaded; on slower machines it usually sits at 10% for a while and then speeds to 100%.


kinit or how it is called need at my computer longer than the linux boot. I was thinking why we need plymouth. but as you can see in the screenshot of kplash you see only an waiting icon in the center and only on bottom the progress bar.

kbroulik wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the blue tbh but maybe I start to like it over time. But yes, we need an option for the wallpaper; possibly even route that through the steps. Plymouth cannot do this but then SDDM starts up with a blue gradient which then fades to the wallpaper, so you get a nice experience. KSplash then also uses this wallpaper.


it's plasma blue and if you use it some time it will be beter and beter I'll promise. in additon about wallpaper yes, but our design guide was no user specific wallpaper (privacy). In addition we talk about an unified design for plasma so the default thing is plasma branded. if the user want his wallpaper, he is welcomed but by default it's distro brand than plasma brand. we "sell" plasma and not a user specific design.

kbroulik wrote:There were ideas of showing the user's wallpaper, probably blurry, Ubuntu and OSX do this and while I like this idea I'm not too sure we should do this due to privacy. Moreover, wallpapers in Plasma are much more complicated than just an image so we probably cannot do this easily anyway.


sorry the design guide was no wallpaper (privacy). simple by default powerfull when needed. when the user want a wallpaper, the user can change it.

see you soon.
User avatar david_edmundson
KDE Developer
Posts
359
Karma
1
OS
Questions:

- what would clicking on the buttons at the bottom bring up. Is there a mockup of that? or normal menu popup?
- what does the search page look like?
- what does should happen when a username is really long (elide somewhere?)
User avatar david_edmundson
KDE Developer
Posts
359
Karma
1
OS
* No way to input a custom username in SDDM
* No keyboard layout switcher on SDDM (a patch for it was just merged though)


SDDM has had both of those things since forever.
User avatar andreas_k
Registered Member
Posts
561
Karma
0
david_edmundson wrote: - what would clicking on the buttons at the bottom bring up. Is there a mockup of that? or normal menu popup?


normal menu popup or do you think on something specific

david_edmundson wrote: - what does the search page look like?




david_edmundson wrote: - what does should happen when a username is really long (elide somewhere?)


same than now. As I would reduce to show only the last 3 (5) users there is enough space for 3 (5) user names. If you like we can make two lines. nothing is defined in stone and as you can see there is enough space in the center. the clue is to reduce the information in the center.
kbroulik
KDE Developer
Posts
130
Karma
0
OS
david_edmundson wrote:
* No way to input a custom username in SDDM
* No keyboard layout switcher on SDDM (a patch for it was just merged though)

SDDM has had both of those things since forever.
Yes but our Look and feel package did not.
crutchcorn
Registered Member
Posts
1
Karma
0
OS
The long shadows on the question mark (see remote login) are horrible... Not only that, but they are (seemingly) inconstant with the other ones being shown on the placeholder user pictures. They should have the same qualities as to ensure uniformity.

Also, I will ask. Why is it that it seems like the user's profile picture will be hidden until they log in? I always think to myself - is this something that my mother can understand and adapt to? The answer in this case is no.
First problem that I have with it comes from a user customization standpoint. Why else would I set a account profile picture if not to have it displayed for my own sake?
Second issue that I have with it comes from a user recognizably standpoint. Where is my face so that I can log in to my account? Granted, this could be sat down and explained to any user that would have this question, but good UI I feel shouldn't be explained. My mom can understand on say Windows that her account is the picture that she chose. The same should be said here.
User avatar andreas_k
Registered Member
Posts
561
Karma
0
User search is a good point. Will work on it.

About the user avatar is there when you select one. If you dont set one the blue ones are yours.
louis94
Registered Member
Posts
97
Karma
1
OS
crutchcorn wrote:Why is it that it seems like the user's profile picture will be hidden until they log in? I always think to myself - is this something that my mother can understand and adapt to? The answer in this case is no.

If we limit the number of visible accounts, we need to make *very* clear when some of them are hidden. Some users think they don't have an account if they don't see their name.

Louis
User avatar andreas_k
Registered Member
Posts
561
Karma
0
http://www.photosnack.com/AndreasK_25/unifiedlogin.html

Update. As the sddm theme and everything else will come with 5.8 we have now 1.5 months to find the design.

 
Reply to topic

Bookmarks



Who is online

Registered users: agentx, alisamii, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], jonzn4suse, techuser