Topic locked

Baloo kcm q's and a "search for" q

User avatar google01103
Manager
OS

Baloo kcm q's and a "search for" q

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:54 pm
Fyi - the "desktop search" module did not show in system settings, so I found and ran it manually, removing ~/.kde[4]/share/config/kcmshellrc fixed this

The baloo kcm is more limited then the Nepomuk one as only folders/drives to not index is available, will this be enhanced in a future release?

The file selector for folders to not index is more cumbersome them the Nepomuk one iirc, here each file has to individually selected whereas previously (iirc) a tree with check boxes (like Amarok's collection) was used, is this to be changed?

"search for" documents in Dolphin only shows files with extensions (doc, pdf, ods) but not text files without extensions even though they are indexed, is this a bug or is it handled the same as it was under Nepomuk

Comments re baloo: even though I don't index much the indexing seems quite fast and Dolphin's search functionality seems to work fine

OpenSuse 13.2 x64, KDE 4.14.x & Plasma 5.x

User avatar einar
Administrator
OS
google01103 wrote:Fyi - the "desktop search" module did not show in system settings, so I found and ran it manually, removing ~/.kde[4]/share/config/kcmshellrc fixed this

I couldn't reproduce this since I started using this system (a month or so ago), maybe it is a packaging issue.

The baloo kcm is more limited then the Nepomuk one as only folders/drives to not index is available, will this be enhanced in a future release?

I think it's by purpose, though the UI can be definitely improved.

"search for" documents in Dolphin only shows files with extensions (doc, pdf, ods) but not text files without extensions even though they are indexed, is this a bug or is it handled the same as it was under Nepomuk

I think it was a straightforward port, so that may have been always the same in Nepomuk. Nevertheless, you may want to file a bug report against this particular issue (I would say against the search component - baloo - itself).

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
User avatar vHanda
KDE Developer
OS
google01103 wrote:The baloo kcm is more limited then the Nepomuk one as only folders/drives to not index is available, will this be enhanced in a future release?

The file selector for folders to not index is more cumbersome them the Nepomuk one iirc, here each file has to individually selected whereas previously (iirc) a tree with check boxes (like Amarok's collection) was used, is this to be changed?

I'm not sure I understand. You cannot choose files, only folders. Could you please state exactly what all you were trying to do. The KCM is a lot more limited, but that's cause we were trying to keep stuff very simple. Is there some feature that you are missing? The backend code still supports all the options the Nepomuk KCM had.

google01103 wrote:"search for" documents in Dolphin only shows files with extensions (doc, pdf, ods) but not text files without extensions even though they are indexed, is this a bug or is it handled the same as it was under Nepomuk

This is intentional. It's hard to differentiate between Documents and text files. Specially since source code is also in text files. Do you use a lot of text files?
User avatar google01103
Manager
OS
vHanda wrote:
google01103 wrote:The baloo kcm is more limited then the Nepomuk one as only folders/drives to not index is available, will this be enhanced in a future release?

I'm not sure I understand. You cannot choose files, only folders. Could you please state exactly what all you were trying to do. The KCM is a lot more limited, but that's cause we were trying to keep stuff very simple. Is there some feature that you are missing? The backend code still supports all the options the Nepomuk KCM had.

sorry obviously meant folders not files, but I have a folder with lots of sub folders and selecting a bunch for exclusion means I must click "+" then select the folder, say ok then repeat whereas the chooser in Amarok displays the whole folder tree with check boxes for each folder and sub folder making the process quicker and easier

of the things missing I would the the selecting which file types not to index would be the most useful. I did appreciate the status and pause buttons and think that there that lots of people would rather have the option to not file index but yet have the meta capabilities

google01103 wrote:"search for" documents in Dolphin only shows files with extensions (doc, pdf, ods) but not text files without extensions even though they are indexed, is this a bug or is it handled the same as it was under Nepomuk

vHanda wrote:This is intentional. It's hard to differentiate between Documents and text files. Specially since source code is also in text files. Do you use a lot of text files?

I use a lot of text files for various notes using Kate (small files, small app footprint, a habit for back in the day) and don't dev so for me source code not an issue

User avatar vHanda
KDE Developer
OS
google01103 wrote:
vHanda wrote:

sorry obviously meant folders not files, but I have a folder with lots of sub folders and selecting a bunch for exclusion means I must click "+" then select the folder, say ok then repeat whereas the chooser in Amarok displays the whole folder tree with check boxes for each folder and sub folder making the process quicker and easier

of the things missing I would the the selecting which file types not to index would be the most useful. I did appreciate the status and pause buttons and think that there that lots of people would rather have the option to not file index but yet have the meta capabilities

vHanda wrote:This is intentional. It's hard to differentiate between Documents and text files. Specially since source code is also in text files. Do you use a lot of text files?

I use a lot of text files for various notes using Kate (small files, small app footprint, a habit for back in the day) and don't dev so for me source code not an issue

- You're quite right, adding multiple folders was easier with the previous KCM. However, how many folders do you actually need to add? 3? 4?

- File type based indexing is slightly expensive, but it is still possible. I'll try to write an indexing tweaking application which exposes all the functionality of the previous KCM. It was our belief that most users don't really need the added functionality.

- Pausing / Resume indexing was specially removed, because indexing is much faster and the user typically shouldn't have to care when files are being indexed. This is a remnant from the Nepomuk days where indexing took a lot of CPU and was slow. The idea is that most users won't even notice the indexing. If you do notice it, then we are doing something wrong.

- Text files - Yeah. I'm not sure what the solution is. I suppose we could categorize plain text files as Documents. Do you want to file a bug for this? That way it can be discussed.
User avatar google01103
Manager
OS
vHanda wrote:- You're quite right, adding multiple folders was easier with the previous KCM. However, how many folders do you actually need to add? 3? 4?
I'm an outlier have 16 due to bad folder structure but once it's initially set up it's done

vHanda wrote:- File type based indexing is slightly expensive, but it is still possible. I'll try to write an indexing tweaking application which exposes all the functionality of the previous KCM. It was our belief that most users don't really need the added functionality.
I think people would appreciate that

vHanda wrote:- Pausing / Resume indexing was specially removed, because indexing is much faster and the user typically shouldn't have to care when files are being indexed. This is a remnant from the Nepomuk days where indexing took a lot of CPU and was slow. The idea is that most users won't even notice the indexing. If you do notice it, then we are doing something wrong.
Think people will want the option to pause or disable this no matter how light the process is

vHanda wrote:- Text files - Yeah. I'm not sure what the solution is. I suppose we could categorize plain text files as Documents. Do you want to file a bug for this? That way it can be discussed.
I'll file a bug

User avatar google01103
Manager
OS
google01103 wrote:
vHanda wrote:<snip>- Text files - Yeah. I'm not sure what the solution is. I suppose we could categorize plain text files as Documents. Do you want to file a bug for this? That way it can be discussed.
I'll file a bug

bug filed https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=332021 and solution implemented (thanks vHanda)

Topic locked