Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:06 pm
I'm running Kubuntu 14.04 on a 2-monitor fglrx (amd) configuration. Doing a run-through login and a few "get desktop ready for use" tasks.
Task 1: Login
* on login, there's a small white bar over the right monitor, it appears to be a task-manager floating over the desktop. Yes, it is a task-manager. It is, however, configured so as to be too short to actually show any icons/text, just some coloured lines.
* seems fine otherwise
Task 2: Get quick-launch icons setup for launching most-commonly-used applications
* let's get chromium added to the task-bar as a quick-launch button. Search in the menu, right click... no add to taskbar action. Okay, try to drag it to the (left) taskbar... it makes a *huge* space between the system tray and the clock, but no icon appears in that area. Seems I'll have to launch it from the menu for now?
* chromium starts, but somehow it doesn't have any of my settings? I'm guessing this is due to KDE wallet integration meaning that the identity/settings aren't accessible.
* see if I can get quick-launch working via the add-widgets option on the (left) task bar. Widgets pop up on the left of the *rightmost* screen, totally disconnected from the thing they are intended to edit. There doesn't appear to be any way to add an app-launcher icon from here
* giving up on quick-launch setup now
Task 3: Configure desktop background with images/slideshow
* Launch system settings.
* Weird flickering seen in the icon text. There's some hover-state that changes the text as the mouse hits the edge of an icon, it momentarily reformats the text and then returns to the previous text... very distracting and ugly. Specifically, in the "Hardware" section, if I hover just on the edge-pixel of "Multimedia" then the text in "Display and Monitor" is displayed in full, but hovering anywhere else has it showing "Display and Monit..."
* Don't see settings for wallpaper in the settings menu, start clicking through
* Desktop Effects section; Desktop Effects sub-section is just blank. Have to mouse-in/out a few times to make the form show up. Every time I tab away/back it's blank again.
* Desktop Effects section; Activities sub-section. There's a white flickering on the part of the form between the top controls and the "Blacklist" checkbox, particularly when the mouse moves over the left-side menu/icons.
* Back in the main menu, when a pop-up "Contains X Items" dialogue goes over the edge of the window (i.e. it's at the bottom of the settings window) the compositing effect for fading out is jerky/distracting. It looks like there's three different levels, but the effect is to flash 3 times getting more transparent each time rather than smoothly fading out.
* Okay, maybe I have to click on the desktop itself? Yes, that's it, okay, no problem setting it up from there.
Task 4: Configure window decorations to match OS-X/Ubuntu (close on left)
* Poke around settings, ah, it's in "Application Style"
* Window Decorations scrolling area is flickering/blank until it gets some sort of mouse input, comes back, then disappears again. Scrolling forces display, but then mouse-out seems to make it go blank again
* Ignore that and click configure buttons; configures as expected
Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:02 pm
Task 2 Add icons from application menu to panel can now be accomplished by drag-and-drop, lots of flickering and layout glitches, but it does work.
Task 3 text flickering bug is much reduced in latest Neon5 build, can still detect it, but it's not too distracting.
Task 3 fading bug can be avoided around by setting Display and Monitor > Compositor > Animation Speed = Instant