Reply to topic

Can't use plasma-desktop cause sddm...

User avatar kde-feelgood
Registered Member
Posts
32
Karma
0
hi folks !

can't use KDE 5 because if I install sddm can't enter as root !

I know how to deal it with KDM: [
Code: Select all
# sed -ie 's/AllowRootLogin=false/AllowRootLogin=true/' /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
]

the question... HOW TO ALLOW ROOT LOGIN IN sddm ???

THAT'S ALL FOLKS !
User avatar eliasp
Registered Member
Posts
19
Karma
0
OS
It's simple! You should never login as root.

Running an X session as root is generally considered a rather bad idea as it increases the attack surface on your system tremendously.
Are there any specific reasons why you want to do that?
User avatar kde-feelgood
Registered Member
Posts
32
Karma
0
thx 'pal'(thus b/w qm) ...

What's that have to do with the question?
User avatar david_edmundson
KDE Developer
Posts
359
Karma
1
OS
SDDM maintainer here, eliasp is right you can't log in as root.
It's explicitly banned and we won't add it in the future.
User avatar kde-feelgood
Registered Member
Posts
32
Karma
0
well... ok man... mystery solved!
User avatar kde-feelgood
Registered Member
Posts
32
Karma
0
david_edmundson wrote:SDDM maintainer here, eliasp is right you can't log in as root.
It's explicitly banned and we won't add it in the future.


then... how to startin plasma-next or plasma-desktop virtual console; add
Code: Select all
exec plasma-desktop
to Xinitrc ?

tia!
User avatar david_edmundson
KDE Developer
Posts
359
Karma
1
OS
just:

Code: Select all
startkde
User avatar kde-feelgood
Registered Member
Posts
32
Karma
0
[solved]

Last edited by kde-feelgood on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar kde-feelgood
Registered Member
Posts
32
Karma
0
I could resolve by MYSELF !!!
User avatar kde-feelgood
Registered Member
Posts
32
Karma
0
david_edmundson wrote:just:

Code: Select all
startkde


NOpe !!!

>:(
User avatar timnicholson
Registered Member
Posts
2
Karma
0
OS
OK I get the very good reasons for not allowing root desktop login, and generally I support the notion.
However I have had one very good reason for logging in once to a root desktop.

If in 'System Settings' you change, for example, the mouse behaviour to say 'reverse scroll' or 'double click', you also want this behaviour on any desktop apps that you run su, say 'File Manager - Super User Mode'.

It can also be helpful to change the window colours so that it is clear that a particular window is running elevated privileges.

This used to be easily achieved by an initial root desktop login and running 'System Settings' in this desktop. This now not possible

Which begs the question. How can these setting changes now be easily achieved?
User avatar google01103
Manager
Posts
6668
Karma
25
timnicholson wrote:OK I get the very good reasons for not allowing root desktop login, and generally I support the notion.
However I have had one very good reason for logging in once to a root desktop.

If in 'System Settings' you change, for example, the mouse behaviour to say 'reverse scroll' or 'double click', you also want this behaviour on any desktop apps that you run su, say 'File Manager - Super User Mode'.

It can also be helpful to change the window colours so that it is clear that a particular window is running elevated privileges.

This used to be easily achieved by an initial root desktop login and running 'System Settings' in this desktop. This now not possible

Which begs the question. How can these setting changes now be easily achieved?


Code: Select all
kdesu systemsettings


OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

wolfi323
Registered Member
Posts
1128
Karma
11
OS
timnicholson wrote:OK I get the very good reasons for not allowing root desktop login, and generally I support the notion.
However I have had one very good reason for logging in once to a root desktop.

I just noticed today that it is actually possible to login as root using sddm.

The root user is just not displayed by default. Add this to /etc/sddm.conf and _all_ system users including root are displayed:
Code: Select all
[Users]
MinimumUid=0

That setting is available in the SDDM systemsettings module, but unfortunately changes there aren't saved:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=347942

You can hide specific users with the "HideUser=" option btw.

Another option would be to change to a different theme that has a username text input field, like Circles, Elarun or Maledives. You should be able to login as root then as well.

But as google01103 already wrote, you can run systemsettings as root in your user's session too like always. No need for running the whole desktop as root...
For Plasma5 you'd need to run "kdesu systemsettings5" though.
User avatar david_edmundson
KDE Developer
Posts
359
Karma
1
OS
That will display it, you won't be able to log in though. There are additional security checks.
User avatar timnicholson
Registered Member
Posts
2
Karma
0
OS
wolfi323 wrote:But as google01103 already wrote, you can run systemsettings as root in your user's session too like always. No need for running the whole desktop as root...
For Plasma5 you'd need to run "kdesu systemsettings5" though.


I tried
Code: Select all
 xdg-su -c systemsettings5
as that su style matched other menu items, but thought it hadn't worked. But this turned out to be something to do with Dolphin, it didn't show the colour change. However the mouse settings had stuck, as had the colour change on other windows. Thanks for the confirmation.

Now to see why Dolphin isn't taking the change of coiour...

 
Reply to topic

Bookmarks



Who is online

Registered users: Alexa [Bot], Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], claydoh, dbergstein, farid, ferchoj, gfielding, Google [Bot], koffeinfriedhof, kyrawertho, lagunacreek, magkoc, matemat, nickless, quisimodo, raphaelra, Sogou [Bot], steveblezy, Yahoo [Bot]