Reply to topic

Plasmashell desktops freeze after short time

Malaber
Registered Member
Hello,

I am using KDE on Arch Linux and since I got a new Laptop, I cannot really use external Monitors. After some time (ranges from a few minutes to a few hours) my desktops start to freeze, that is the taskbar and the desktop icons and background just freeze and cannot be clicked anymore. The applications run fine and I can also change them by ALT+TAB or start new ones with ALT+F2 although the start menu doesn't come up if I press SUPER. All desktops freeze individually and not all at the same time, which can easily be seen as the clock in each monitors taskbar is stuck at a different time. I can't find a solution for my problem and I don't know how to start debugging it. I haven't noticed that problem when only using the laptop without a external monitor.

When this happens, my workaround is a
Code: Select all
killall plasmashell && plasmashell
in a Konsole window, which then restarts the desktops/taskbars, making them usable again for a few minutes/hours.

When it happens while the screens are locked, I have to change the TTY, kill kscreenlocker_greet, which fortunately gets restarted automatically.

Can someone help me debug this?

I am running the following:

plasmashell 5.17.5
xorg-server 1.20.6-3
linux 5.4.10-arch1-1

Laptop Dell Latitude 7480 (i5-7300U CPU @ 2.60GHz, no discrete graphics)
Dock Dell WD15

Thanks in advance for any help or tips :)
codingkoi
Registered Member
I don't have a solution. I just want to give this a bump because I'm also seeing this issue on NixOS. I've looked at what plasmashell prints out to console when this happens, and nothing jumps out to me as an obvious error, but maybe I'm missing something.

I'm running:
Code: Select all
plasmashell 5.17.8
X.Org X Server 1.20.8
Linux kernel version 5.4.48

If there's anything else I can provide to help get to the bottom of it, don't hesitate to ask.
User avatar Mamarok
Manager
OS
Hoe about updating first? Especially on Arch, 5.17.x is pretty old now, the most recent Plasma release is 5.19.2

Currently running Kubuntu 20.04, Plasma 5.18.5, Frameworks 5.68.0, Qt 5.12.8, kernel 5.4.0-42
FWIW: it is always useful to state the exact Plasma version and distribution when asking questions in this forum, makes it easier for us to help ...

Reply to topic