Reply to topic

Plasma Crashes, black screen "qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect"

orlfur
Registered Member
Hi!
I started my laptop and after splash screen there is no desktop, all is black and only the nextcloud syncing windows pops up. So it's completely dead. What should I do?

UPDATE:
ok, I manage to access the terminal where i tried to restart plasmashell (I am running Kubuntu 20.10), and i get the message:

qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display
qt.qpa.pluigin: could not load the qt platform plugin "xcb" in """ even though it was found
this application failed because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem
User avatar Mamarok
Manager
OS
You can always restart plasma in this manner:

Code: Select all
killall plasmashell
plasmashell --replace &

FWIW: did you try using a different kernel? I had this a few times and had to disable Kdeconnect which triggered the issue, since the current -38 kernel it runs without glitches.

Currently running Kubuntu 20.10, Plasma 5.19.5, Frameworks 5.74.0, Qt 5.14.2, kernel 5.8.0-43, AMD RENOiR Graphics
FWIW: it is always useful to state the exact Plasma version and distribution when asking questions, makes it easier for us to help ...

Reply to topic