Reply to topic

KDE decision to switch to Qt

wlisik
Registered Member
Posts
22
Karma
0

KDE decision to switch to Qt

Mon May 22, 2017 12:17 pm
Why KDE devs selected Qt? Qt can be fast, but not reliable. Qt has some strange bug(s) thgat it takes whatever amount of RAM/cpu cores it can find and - as a result - its **** slow to compile even on the fastest Xeon's based platform.

Dont get me wrong. There is (probably huge) potential within Qt thing, but its wrongly certed.

What are alternatives to Qt? 2 major:
- GTK/GTK+ (not webkit-gtk as it has qt as dependency, so its ****)
- OxygenMASS (BSD/Unix) - independently mapped SAS API

I understand transition can (and will) be nightmare, but once done, KDE will be ::
- faster
- more reliable
- easy to maintain
- and much more.......

Steps to make KDE Qt-free?

1. Freeze release circle for KDE (no new version from start onwards)
2. Merge kdecore together again (delete kdelibs as it will be empty afterwards),
3. Scan sourcecode file-per-file to cross out any reference to qt* and rebuild all ui elements using GTK(+) - it will take ages but its worth it.
4. Unfreeze release circle and release KDE qt-less (when its ready).

Thats pretty much it. Can take care of it if you like.
User avatar Mamarok
Manager
Posts
3452
Karma
10
OS

Re: KDE decision to switch to Qt

Tue May 23, 2017 9:38 am
Sorry, but on what planet do you live? The KDE community has not "switched" to Qt, it has always used Qt, since over 20 years now :-)


Mamarok, hanging out in the Amarok forum since August, 2007
Currently running Kubuntu Zesty 17.04, Plasma 5.10.5, Amarok 2.8-git of the day
wlisik
Registered Member
Posts
22
Karma
0

Re: KDE decision to switch to Qt

Tue May 23, 2017 5:59 pm
Mamarok wrote:Sorry, but on what planet do you live? The KDE community has not "switched" to Qt, it has always used Qt, since over 20 years now :-)

Maybe I titled this topic in wrong way. I wanted to ask why KDE originaL author decided to go with Qt?
airdrik
Registered Member
Posts
989
Karma
1
OS

Re: KDE decision to switch to Qt

Tue May 23, 2017 6:28 pm
A quick search leads to https://www.kde.org/community/history/qtissue.php which should address your question.

As for the current state of Qt (5), as I understand it, the 5th iteration of the toolkit has received its fair share of criticism for being rather troublesome, buggy, unstable, etc. Even with that I would guess that it is probably in the KDE devs best interest to continue using Qt as switching to anything else would likely entail a multi-year investment ending in a new iteration of KDE which like iterations 4 and 5 would still require a couple of years to return to feature/stability parity with the previous iteration. All that just to get off of a toolkit that has historically been superior to most/all other toolkits available and would likely trigger objections around the KDE community.
On the other hand sticking with Qt that investment can be put towards making Qt and KDE all the better.

Have you tried investigating those performance problems to see if there is something you can do about them (even if just to submit bug cases to Qt's backlog)?


airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
wlisik
Registered Member
Posts
22
Karma
0

Re: KDE decision to switch to Qt

Wed May 24, 2017 6:24 pm
airdrik wrote:A quick search leads to https://www.kde.org/community/history/qtissue.php which should address your question.

As for the current state of Qt (5), as I understand it, the 5th iteration of the toolkit has received its fair share of criticism for being rather troublesome, buggy, unstable, etc. Even with that I would guess that it is probably in the KDE devs best interest to continue using Qt as switching to anything else would likely entail a multi-year investment ending in a new iteration of KDE which like iterations 4 and 5 would still require a couple of years to return to feature/stability parity with the previous iteration. All that just to get off of a toolkit that has historically been superior to most/all other toolkits available and would likely trigger objections around the KDE community.
On the other hand sticking with Qt that investment can be put towards making Qt and KDE all the better.

Have you tried investigating those performance problems to see if there is something you can do about them (even if just to submit bug cases to Qt's backlog)?

First off - when was linked page created? Exact date please.
Second - I dont agree with even single word there.
Third - Yes Ive tried investigating problems and it seems that Qt logs some data in tricky way (not plain text; like hashed or sth). Looks like they (Qt company) wants to earn money by forcing you to buy licence (otherwise they will not decode logs).
User avatar Shaddar
Registered Member
Posts
10
Karma
0
OS

Re: KDE decision to switch to Qt

Wed May 24, 2017 7:17 pm
Sorry I can't understand the problem you believe to have with Qt or the KDE project itself.

wlisik wrote:First off - when was linked page created? Exact date please.

I don't know the release date but a quick search let me find this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20100301000000*/https://www.kde.org/community/history/qtissue.php
The webarchive has its first savepoint from that page on the 15th June 2010 so it's nothing really new - updated maybe but not new.

 
Reply to topic

Bookmarks



Who is online

Registered users: alfredod, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], boudewijn, Capitain_Jack, capslock, Exabot [Bot], formyfriday, gerdeg, Google [Bot], gui-m, La Ninje, Majestic-12 [Bot], Sogou [Bot], TheraHedwig, Tromzy, vpinon, Yahoo [Bot], zhanxw