Reply to topic

Plasmoid doesn't appear in System Tray

User avatar MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
OS
Greetings. I'm having a problem with the development of a plasmoid; I'm trying to make it appear as an option in the System Tray (General -> Extra Items) but for some reason it refuses to show up there. I looked at the example of another Plasma widget that does get listed, yet for an inexplicable cause mine does not.

https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Develo ... oid_Status

I understand that I primarily need to add an extra line to my metadata.desktop file, which I have with no result:

Code: Select all
X-Plasma-NotificationArea=true

Any thought on how to fix this please? Thank you.
Rog131
Registered Member
It seems that the 'Extra Items' are read from the plasmoids kpluginindex.json. An example:

Making a dummy plasmoid, only the metadata.desktop. $HOME/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids/Dummy/metadata.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Dummy
Comment=Show Dummy
Encoding=UTF-8
Icon=drink-beer
ServiceTypes=Plasma/Applet
Type=Service
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name=Dummy
X-Plasma-NotificationArea=true
X-Plasma-API=declarativeappletscript
X-Plasma-MainScript=ui/main.qml

Executing command kpackagetool5 to generate the index file:
$ kpackagetool5 --generate-index -t Plasma/Applet
Generating /home/rog131/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids//kpluginindex.json
Generated  "/home/rog131/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids//kpluginindex.json"  ( 22  plugins)

Restarting the plasmashell.....

Now the System Tray Settings has an Extra Item:

User avatar MirceaKitsune
Registered Member
OS
Wow... so it was a Plasma caching issue all along. Running "kpackagetool5 --generate-index -t Plasma/Applet" and restarting plasmashell immediately caused my plasmoid's icon to appear successfully!

The developers should really think of a way to automate this, so that Plasma can automatically detect when system tray widgets are installed or uninstalled. I didn't even consider this might not be the case and you have to update it manually.

[EDIT] I created a bug report about this: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=386880

Reply to topic