Reply to topic

checking updates KDE Neon

mesoptafel
Registered Member

checking updates KDE Neon

Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:27 am
Does Neon automatically check for updates? Can I change the settings for checking updates?
I almost never see the icon in the panel that there are updates available. So I start Discover and type Ctrl-R. Then it will find updates.
User avatar anewuser
Registered Member
OS

Re: checking updates KDE Neon

Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:47 pm
Install synaptic or muon and open the "Software Sources" settings to change the frequency of automatic updates.
compatico
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:28 pm
mesoptafel wrote:Does Neon automatically check for updates? Can I change the settings for checking updates?
I almost never see the icon in the panel that there are updates available. So I start Discover and type Ctrl-R. Then it will find updates.

Yes Neon checks for updates (I think it's daily) and I get regular update notifications in the System Tray about once a week depending on how frequent a new update is pushed out. During the Christmas holidays there were no updates as I would expect, but I've had about 4 updates since Jan 1st. Sometimes I've had 2-3 update notifications in one week last year.
misswham
Registered Member

Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:05 pm
I always get updates on my desktop (non like the regular Ubuntu or Mint) but I have not once gotten an update on my laptop. They both have the same OS but one thing I DO notice is that with all the updates my system runs much more sluggish than my laptop does. Like yesterday, I got a notification on my desktop that there were 30 updates available but nothing on my laptop. I have synaptic on both. Does anyone know whats going on?
User avatar alideda
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:31 pm
Synaptic does not provide notification if there is aviable update,Neon plasma widget give notification , Maui 2 provides notification with Mint update. Mint update has a graduated system of what is available for update. Neon and Maui 2 are not the same distribution.
rollingstone
Registered Member

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:45 pm
I think there is no program running 'apt-get update' on a daily base even it is configured via muon.
I have two systems and got notifications after the installations but not again.
As far as I can see there are four files in /var/lib/apt/periodic/ and three of them are touched when the system starts.
But not update-success-stamp, this one is only touched when I call 'apt-get update' by myself.
Neon's package plasma-discover-updater does not the contain the program of the same name in /usr/bin while ubuntu xenial does.
So I see no program what performs an update until now.
But it would be really helpful to get an definitive answer, because I want to install my own script for this task and want to avoid that it is clashing with some other tasks.
Regards

Reply to topic