Reply to topic

Strange, non-Plasma specific elements in Discover

tosky
Registered Member
Posts
194
Karma
3
raddison wrote:
It should be visible in Discover (it is on Fedora 25); K3b provides an appdata file (which is used by Discover.


With all due respect the K3B visible to me says:

K3b 2.0.3 (c) 1999-2010 Sebastian Trug et al.
(the good part is that it works although it's an old(er) version.

So this is not about Discover: it depends on which version is available for your distribution. This is not different from the version that you can get using apt.
Unless you use a flatpak package for your distribution, but still it is a matter of what is available. Discover does not get it magically from the air.

As explained above, this is irrelevant. They are packages available for your distribution.

In context with the Plasma Desktop, those packages lack any relevance whatsoever.


What is the limit of what is not relevant? I may want to install whatever package in my system. It is up to me to decide how to use it (I may want to install even a different desktop environment and try it).


tosky, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
tosky
Registered Member
Posts
194
Karma
3
raddison wrote:
tosky wrote:It should be visible in Discover (it is on Fedora 25); K3b provides an appdata file (which is used by Discover.


With all due respect the K3B visible to me says:

K3b 2.0.3 (c) 1999-2010 Sebastian Trug et al.
(the good part is that it works although it's an old(er) version.

Also, I fail to understand how reference to Fedora is relevant, as the present thread is dealing with Neon and not Fedora. "Should this or should that" is irrelevant.


[/quote]

Please don't edit your posts for something different than typos. It makes it more difficult to answer; for example my previous answer seems to be incomplete because you updated your post. It makes more complicated to miss replies too. Better add new posts.

Addendum to my previous answer:
  • you can install K3b, both on Neon and Fedora. The sentence seems to hint that K3b was not available at all, not that you didn't see an update for it, and I said that K3b is visible (in Fedora) and you confirmed that it is visible in Neon. That's correct and expected. You can't have a newer version, because a newer version is not available for your distribution. This is the same situation as in Fedora (K3b is available from Discover both in Fedora and Neon, in both cases it's the last version of that distribution.
  • Discover is a tool which relies on the packages available on the system; it works on Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and other systems in the same way, but it uses the underlying packaging system.


tosky, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
raddison
Registered Member
Posts
513
Karma
0
tosky wrote:
raddison wrote:
tosky wrote:It should be visible in Discover (it is on Fedora 25); K3b provides an appdata file (which is used by Discover.


With all due respect the K3B visible to me says:

K3b 2.0.3 (c) 1999-2010 Sebastian Trug et al.
(the good part is that it works although it's an old(er) version.

Also, I fail to understand how reference to Fedora is relevant, as the present thread is dealing with Neon and not Fedora. "Should this or should that" is irrelevant.




Please don't edit your posts for something different than typos. It makes it more difficult to answer; for example my previous answer seems to be incomplete because you updated your post. It makes more complicated to miss replies too. Better add new posts.

Addendum to my previous answer:
  • you can install K3b, both on Neon and Fedora. The sentence seems to hint that K3b was not available at all, not that you didn't see an update for it, and I said that K3b is visible (in Fedora) and you confirmed that it is visible in Neon. That's correct and expected. You can't have a newer version, because a newer version is not available for your distribution. This is the same situation as in Fedora (K3b is available from Discover both in Fedora and Neon, in both cases it's the last version of that distribution.
  • Discover is a tool which relies on the packages available on the system; it works on Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and other systems in the same way, but it uses the underlying packaging system.
[/quote]

Bro, give me some time to calm down. Thank you for your feedback.


Proud to be powered by Plasma
raddison
Registered Member
Posts
513
Karma
0
So this is not about Discover: it depends on which version is available for your distribution.


So you're telling me that Discover will pull in whatever is available in a distro's repo and as such it's distro agnostic, right?


Proud to be powered by Plasma
tosky
Registered Member
Posts
194
Karma
3
raddison wrote:
So this is not about Discover: it depends on which version is available for your distribution.


So you're telling me that Discover will pull in whatever is available in a distro's repo and as such it's distro agnostic, right?


Correct. It has backends which work with different packaging systems.


tosky, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
raddison
Registered Member
Posts
513
Karma
0
tosky wrote:
raddison wrote:
So this is not about Discover: it depends on which version is available for your distribution.


So you're telling me that Discover will pull in whatever is available in a distro's repo and as such it's distro agnostic, right?


Correct. It has backends which work with different packaging systems.


@tosky Thanks man. Your feedback made a difference. :)


Proud to be powered by Plasma
raddison
Registered Member
Posts
513
Karma
0
@Top Gardener
Addressing a big thank you to you as well. The world is full of ignorants ??? This thread is an example of what I call helpful.


Proud to be powered by Plasma

 
Reply to topic

Bookmarks



Who is online

Registered users: Baidu [Spider], Belliric, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], jmacleod, Kresimir, Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]