Reply to topic

KDE neon Rebased on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

timonoj
Registered Member
Posts
11
Karma
0
Rather a **** show of an upgrade here. Asus UX303 with Nvidia prime. Firefox went to perform at 10fps. Reinstalled the driver to ensure a proper install...and then got a black screen. Installed from scratch, still get 10fps on firefox when using nvidia drivers. What gives?
Akela
Registered Member
Posts
30
Karma
0
Legion wrote:I upgraded 25 hours ago and, oh dear, what a disaster.
Discover isn't working at all, Synaptic won't let me do anything with repos, just keeps showing fault.
Firefox has regressed to about 1996 in looks and has no scroll bar.
All desktop settings have gone haywire, look and feel and desktop look horrible.
I thought OK, upgrade, it'll probably need a few tweaks. Fail. Can't tweak when half the required tools don't work.
Even Konsole isn't working correctly, it has gaps in the lines making them unreadable.
I had high hopes for Neon after using openSUSE for many years, but if this is an indication of an Ubuntu upgrade I might go back to openSUSE.
How to I roll back?


My Upgrade had some flaws with Nvidia drivers and SMB not working. I am on a dual boot machine with a bunch of partitions on 7 drives with 3 displays, i expected everything from bad to worse but Neon works again without problems.

If i have your problems, i would start fresh. Next time - maybe timeshift is an option.
https://itsfoss.com/backup-restore-linux-timeshift/
brandolf
Registered Member
Posts
2
Karma
0
Upgrade went extremely well on my XPS13! :) I was expecting problems with my encryted user home but even that was no problem. Rebooted and had 18.04 and everything fine. Thanks!!!
User avatar Legion
Registered Member
Posts
31
Karma
0
OS
Akela wrote:
Legion wrote:I upgraded 25 hours ago and, oh dear, what a disaster.
Discover isn't working at all, Synaptic won't let me do anything with repos, just keeps showing fault.
Firefox has regressed to about 1996 in looks and has no scroll bar.
All desktop settings have gone haywire, look and feel and desktop look horrible.
I thought OK, upgrade, it'll probably need a few tweaks. Fail. Can't tweak when half the required tools don't work.
Even Konsole isn't working correctly, it has gaps in the lines making them unreadable.
I had high hopes for Neon after using openSUSE for many years, but if this is an indication of an Ubuntu upgrade I might go back to openSUSE.
How to I roll back?


My Upgrade had some flaws with Nvidia drivers and SMB not working. I am on a dual boot machine with a bunch of partitions on 7 drives with 3 displays, i expected everything from bad to worse but Neon works again without problems.

If i have your problems, i would start fresh. Next time - maybe timeshift is an option.
https://itsfoss.com/backup-restore-linux-timeshift/


Yes I did. After a few hours trying to fix the half broken upgrade I downloaded the iso and did an upgrade from a USB. After the usual grub issues which I fixed with boot-repair from the live CD I finally managed to get a working system. The Firefox issue was the setting of GTK applications had been reset by the upgrade, a quick tweak on that and it's OK. Discover and synaptic now working, which I would expect after a clean install. Two major problems are: My dual boot Windows 10 has disappeared and I no longer get a grub menu and for some unknown reason - I have some desktop items, links to my server; they show up but won't show the icons I have chosen for them on the desktop. The icons shown are more of a generic Text icon. Checking properties the icons are selected, they just won't show. I expect to have to reinstall a few things with an upgrade, but this continual faffing about is something I though Linux would have been past by now. Not just this distro but many have the same problems. openSUSE went from being easy to upgrade to a complete nightmare, hence I moved to something else.


People who give up freedoms for security deserve neither
Akela
Registered Member
Posts
30
Karma
0
Sounds not good. On my side i have just discovered that there is nothing to discover in my steam library. Complete empty.
And wine is also missing.
So, upgrade was not really without problems. But not so serious like yours.
Btw, the updates in the last years were good, i had nothing to complain except some trouble with 3dparty ppa's. Thats why i try to avoid them if possible. time to snap

oh and dual boot, no problems here. I expect accidents when windows is updating >:(
You should bugreport that.
Akela
Registered Member
Posts
30
Karma
0
meh! :-(

32 bit: steam client and wine need that.
32bit not supported anymore ? How can i get that up und running again ?
cbridge
Registered Member
Posts
4
Karma
1
cbridge wrote:
yurigu wrote:I received a notification (step 3).
I clicked "upgrade", but nothing happened.
Release notes were not displayed (step 4).
:'(


I'm having the same issue. I click the notification, put my password into the pop-up, it is accepted and the pop-up disappears but then nothing happens. Have repeated this several times now. Very frustrating. Don't really know how to start to debug. Any ideas?


For the benefit of others who may have the same issue, the fix in my case was simple: just run
Code: Select all
do-release-upgrade
from a terminal instead of trying to start via the graphical interface. After that everything appears to have gone fine as far as I can tell
User avatar Legion
Registered Member
Posts
31
Karma
0
OS
My 'upgrade' seems to have settled down a bit. I fixed the dual boot by running Boot-Repair which retrieved the Windows 10 boot ability, but now my grub screen looks awful, a blue screen of death vibe, but at least It is usable, I can live with that. The main issue is the desktop, less than half the icons are showing and the 'text' icon issue is still there, regardless of any changes I make to the theme. The first time I installed Neon I had an issue with the desktop which fixed itself with an upgrade so I am hopeful the same think may happen this time.


People who give up freedoms for security deserve neither
User avatar Penguinclaw
Registered Member
Posts
14
Karma
0
OS
No complaints at all here on AMD based hp laptop. All running good and very smoothly. So in case any devs are lurking about; thank you very much. :)
Akela
Registered Member
Posts
30
Karma
0
@legion your problems sound weird. This should not happen with a fresh install at all.
List your specs, perhaps some one can say something useful

I've got steam working again.
So wine and long boot times remains as problems
User avatar kdeoldster
Registered Member
Posts
29
Karma
0
OS
Upgraded laptop #2 over the weekend and I have NEVER had a base upgrade go so well! It was as if I rebooted into my familiar Xenial based version but with a new Bionic base. I have been a linux "hobbyist" for 8 years and have tried many distros and none have been as much as a pleasure to do a new base upgrade on and have everything "just work".
j8a
Registered Member
Posts
110
Karma
0
OS
Akela wrote:Sounds not good. On my side i have just discovered that there is nothing to discover in my steam library. Complete empty.
And wine is also missing.
So, upgrade was not really without problems. But not so serious like yours.
Btw, the updates in the last years were good, i had nothing to complain except some trouble with 3dparty ppa's. Thats why i try to avoid them if possible. time to snap

oh and dual boot, no problems here. I expect accidents when windows is updating >:(
You should bugreport that.


Hi, Akela.
Please, check this posts in order to solve the mentioned problems by you.

viewtopic.php?f=225&t=154020

viewtopic.php?f=309&t=153454

Regards
j8a
Registered Member
Posts
110
Karma
0
OS
Akela wrote:@legion your problems sound weird. This should not happen with a fresh install at all.
List your specs, perhaps some one can say something useful

I've got steam working again.
So wine and long boot times remains as problems


Hi again, Akela.
Please take a look at this post, which I think it could be useful for problem.
viewtopic.php?f=309&t=153983
yurigu
Registered Member
Posts
2
Karma
0
cbridge wrote:
cbridge wrote:
yurigu wrote:I received a notification (step 3).
I clicked "upgrade", but nothing happened.
Release notes were not displayed (step 4).
:'(


I'm having the same issue. I click the notification, put my password into the pop-up, it is accepted and the pop-up disappears but then nothing happens. Have repeated this several times now. Very frustrating. Don't really know how to start to debug. Any ideas?


For the benefit of others who may have the same issue, the fix in my case was simple: just run
Code: Select all
do-release-upgrade
from a terminal instead of trying to start via the graphical interface. After that everything appears to have gone fine as far as I can tell


Thank you, bro!
I had a file error (/usr/bin/do-release-upgrade):
Code: Select all
File "/usr/bin/do-release-upgrade", line 135, in <module>
"%(url)s\n") % { 'url' : url })
ValueError: unsupported format character '?' (0xa) at index 55

update started after deleting the file code in line 135-136:
Code: Select all
print(_("For upgrade information, please visit:\n"
"%(url)s\n") % { 'url' : url })

p.s.: sorry for my english.. ^_^
rangel
Registered Member
Posts
13
Karma
0
cbridge wrote:
cbridge wrote:
yurigu wrote:I received a notification (step 3).
I clicked "upgrade", but nothing happened.
Release notes were not displayed (step 4).
:'(


I'm having the same issue. I click the notification, put my password into the pop-up, it is accepted and the pop-up disappears but then nothing happens. Have repeated this several times now. Very frustrating. Don't really know how to start to debug. Any ideas?


For the benefit of others who may have the same issue, the fix in my case was simple: just run
Code: Select all
do-release-upgrade
from a terminal instead of trying to start via the graphical interface. After that everything appears to have gone fine as far as I can tell


Same issue here but
Code: Select all
do-release-upgrade
or even
Code: Select all
do-release-upgrade -d
produce:
Code: Select all
Checking for a new Ubuntu release
Get:1 Upgrade tool signature [819 B]
Get:2 Upgrade tool [1,260 kB]
Fetched 1,261 kB in 0s (0 B/s)
authenticate 'bionic.tar.gz' against 'bionic.tar.gz.gpg'
extracting 'bionic.tar.gz'

But nothing else happens

Any ideas how to debug this?

 
Reply to topic

Bookmarks



Who is online

Registered users: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], lueck, Sogou [Bot]