Reply to topic

How to stop packagekit (Discover) from auto-update

pa
Registered Member
on the latest neon (18.04 based), every time i log in, after a few minutes, i get notified about updates.
I would like to prevent packagekit to auto spawn an apt-get update on its own.
Is this possible? if not, can it be made possible?
gfielding
Registered Member
OS
Right-click the triangle (bottom right next to the clock), select 'configure-system-tray' and take the tick-out of the box
pa
Registered Member
Does this really stop the apt-get update running in the background?
gfielding
Registered Member
OS
Yes it works.

Switched on today, then ran 'discover' manually and there are lots of vlc updates. If it was still running (despite the tick being removed) these would have been shown after boot.
User avatar kdeoldster
Registered Member
OS
Discover, by default, doesn't use apt/apt-get commands. It uses the pkcon refresh command to look for updates since it is based on packagekit and the apt or apt-get commands might not pull all packages needed for a "full" update/upgrade. Quote from FAQ on KDE neon homepage:

How do I Update to the Latest Software?
KDE neon does continuous deployment of the latest KDE software which means there are nearly always new versions of our software to update to. We recommend using Plasma Discover's updater which appears in your panel:

If you prefer to use the command line you can use the pkcon command:

pkcon refresh
pkcon update
This will install all new packages and uses the same PackageKit code as Plasma Discover. Some uses of apt do not install new packages which makes it less suitable for KDE neon.
pa
Registered Member
AFAIK packagekit uses apt in some form (obviously). So i don't see how apt-get, apt or aptitude can't upgrade the same packages as packagekit.
In any case, it would be good if Discover could be configured not to fire its automatic pkcon refresh on its own.
It also so happens to do it *always* at the wrong time
User avatar alideda
Registered Member
OS
Discover just doing auto-update but not upgrading. I do not see why the problem is to be seen in the panel. It may be a problem if someone does not have an internet connection, so there is an announcement of a crackdown.
pkcon refresh
pkcon update
=airplane
and discoveri
=like bicycle
pa
Registered Member
The problem arises when i am on a paid connection. I do not want something to auto pull stuff from the internet on my back. Thank you for understanding.
User avatar alideda
Registered Member
OS
We all pay for an internt connection, I have a contract with the provider and I pay the internet. I have unlimited data flow. You most likely have a limited data flow, a limited quota as much as you can dowload and everything over the limit is charged much more. Some mobile providers are doing this in my country.
If I can give advice if you have a facebook stop using it and find, for example, in browsers (Firefox, Opera, Chrome), these programs bring you a bunch of data without your knowledge and push ads that pop up on the screen, even if you do not use the browser at that time. My wife is using my mobile phone for facebook, I delete 700-800MB of data each day from a facebook.
pa
Registered Member
Thanks for your advices. I pay internet per MB. I do not use facebook and i keep data counters.
So it would be wise if the developers of "Discover" would at the very least offer a checkbox where to disable the auto updating of the catalogs.
I have seen this has generated many complaints already by people claiming it was even upgrading their system.
So, also to avoid misunderstanding, just have a "fully manual operation" option there. SHouldn't take long to add, should it?
(Please note, if some of the developers would come to say this is "by design", i would very much appreciate it. So i can stop using plasma without regrets)

Reply to topic