Reply to topic

has anyone installed amarok?

gfielding
Registered Member
OS

has anyone installed amarok?

Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:55 am
Amarok was working fine on my system until recently.

There is now no sound backend shown (amarok / settings / configure amarok / playback / configure phonon / backend) although the gstreamer and vlc backend packages are still installed. I suspect that some recent system updates has caused the problem.

Is it just me?

Thanks
User avatar claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Re: has anyone installed amarok?

Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:57 pm
It does not work in Neon at least, possibly Kubuntu 18.04 as well. My guess is that it is due to Amarok being KDE 4 (and Qt 4), and the Ubuntu 18.04 package that is available may be too old for our Plasma. Basically, bit rot may be setting in. I think being KDE 4, it needs KDE 4 specific systems, and newer Plasma things probably broke whatever compatibility with the long-unsupported KDE 4/Qt 4 that was left.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
User avatar acheronuk
KDE Developer

Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:08 pm
Qt4 phonon support was removed in the latest Phonon version, which is now in Neon. Only Qt5 support remains.
gfielding
Registered Member
OS

Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:50 pm
Thanks very much for posting.

Rolling back the package phonon-backend-vlc to the previous version re-stored sound to amarok. Perhaps time to move to clementine though.
User avatar waynes
Registered Member

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:46 pm
If You like Clementine, take a look at Strawberry. It's based on Clementine as you will see after install, but seems to be more actively developed. Works great on my system.
https://www.strawberrymusicplayer.org/
gfielding
Registered Member
OS

Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:38 pm
Thanks I will give Strawberry a go too.
nicolaf
Registered Member

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:05 pm
Hi, I'm here for the same problem.
Thanks you for the advice about Strawberry, I never heard of it and it looks interesting

Another promising player is Elisa, it is even probably available in your distro repository:
https://community.kde.org/Elisa
But for now I'm using Clementine because with Elisa I cannot make it see the music I have on a NFS network share :< .

I will follow this thread for any positive developments.

Reply to topic