Reply to topic

Kate & Windows 10 File Association

dryan
Registered Member

Kate & Windows 10 File Association

Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:24 pm
My normal system is Linux Mint, but now I'm working with a new Windows 10 pro box. Haven't worked with windows much in the last 10 years so bear with me.

I've installed Kate along with Filezilla. Kate is a windowsAPP, Filezilla is present with it's own .exe file etc.

Windows will recognize .pl files and open them automatically with Kate. But that's about it. If I try to open a php file, it gives me the 1 finger salute and it says to pick an app to open the file up with. Notepad etc is listed, but Kate is not. I see no way to make a symlink to the kate 'app'. If you put a shortcut on the desktop, there is no valid path presented in properties, just jumble script.

Any ideas? I've searched all throughout the forums and giggle online, but nothing. This 'app' business is infuriating.
Thanks!
Doug

PS: As a workaround, I installed bluefish, and was able to create correct file associations since it is stored as a 32 bit program in the Program Files (x86) directory. I'd rather have Kate though. Thanks again for any help.

Reply to topic