Reply to topic

Separate X sessions on dual screens for KDE4

karthikp
Registered Member
OS
I have a somewhat related problem. If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it. In what follows, I'll try to keep things as distro-agnostic as possible. Should it be important, I run an up-to-date Arch system with vanilla kde packages.

My xorg.conf is as follows (I've excluded the Files section):
Code: Select all
Section "ServerLayout"                 
        Identifier      "My Server Layout"
        Screen  0       "My Screen"     0       0
EndSection                                       

Section "Module"
        Load            "ddc"
        Load            "dbe"
        Load            "extmod"
        Load            "glx"   
        Load            "bitmap"
        Load            "freetype"
EndSection                       

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option          "AllowMouseOpenFail"            "true"
        Option          "Xinerama"                      "false"
EndSection                                                     

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "My Monitor"
        VendorName      "Acer"     
        ModelName       "Acer P223WA"
        HorizSync       31.0 - 84.0 
        VertRefresh     56.0 - 77.0 
        Option          "DPMS"                          "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "My Video Card"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        VendorName      "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName       "GeForce 9800 GT"
        Option          "Logo"                          "false"
        Option          "DPI"                           "72 x 72"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "My Screen"
        Device          "My Video Card"
        Monitor         "My Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option          "TwinView"                      "true"
        Option          "metamodes"                     "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0"
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth       24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option          "Composite"                     "Enable"
EndSection

As you can see, the setup is a dual monitor with auto-detected resolution on both monitors and things work great. However, DFP-1 is my projector. I'd love to set up two metamodes - one with only DFP-0 active and the second with the projector active. This is because although the projector is connected and on standby at all times, I only turn it on when I watch movies. I want to use krandrtray to switch between the two modes. For reference, the only change I need to make is to change the metamodes line from this:

Option          "metamodes"                     "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0"

to this:

Option          "metamodes"                     "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-1: NULL; DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0"

However two things break if I make this simple change and I'd like to know if it's a KDE 4.2 thing.

1) At login, on the KDE login screen, I get a panning display on DFP-0 which is as wide as the two screen put together. DFP-1 stays disabled. The panning screen disappears when I login (I get a properly sized screen only on DFP-0).

2) When I switch to the second metamode, the second screen becomes active (as it should), but stays black. I can drag a window to it, but when I maximize it, it maximizes on the first screen. This completely defeats the purpose of activating the second mode (to fullscreen a movie on the projector screen). ( As an aside, I can't right click on the second screen to set a wallpaper there as well. Should I add an activity for this?)

Does anyone else have similar issues with dual-head setups? Will this be fixed in KDE 4.3 (if it's a 4.2 issue) or is it nvidia's fault and I should basically wait for the latest drivers from them?

If you need more info, I'll gladly help.

Thanks

karthikp, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The meta modes could be confusing the problem. If the NVidia drivers have XRandR 1.2 support, then it is a KDE bug ( please report ) otherwise you will need to wait for NVidia to implement XRandR version 1.2.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]http://forum.kde.org/content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
labralabra
Registered Member
Are there any news on fixing the support for multiple X sessions on kde4?
User avatar Zarin
KDE Developer
OS
No developer; no fix.

Last edited by Zarin on Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
max63
Registered Member
I understand the fact that KDE4 not implement le dual desktop at this time, but is it possible to start in the second screen an other window manager (like xfce) on the second X session ?
If yes, how ?
User avatar Zarin
KDE Developer
OS
max63
Registered Member
It's exactly what I need ! and it's work !

thanks thanks thanks !!!!!
max63
Registered Member
I know it's really the good place to talk about this problem but I try.... when I start the icewm manager in my second screen (KDE 4.2 on the first screen) the font of application launch in icewm are really little, unreadable...
If icewm is launch as primary wm all is Ok... it's only when I use kde4 + icewm ....
Have you any idea about this ?
topus
Registered Member
You're talking about "separate x screens"?
User avatar Zarin
KDE Developer
OS
topus wrote:You're talking about "separate x screens"?

Yes, this is multi-monitor by using multiple X "screens".

Last edited by Zarin on Wed May 13, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
topus
Registered Member
sorry and thank you, I replied the wrong thread.....
labralabra
Registered Member

This is exactly what I am looking for!

Now the only problem is that I have 1680x1050 LCD as my main display and 1920x1080 TV as the secondary display. Now the plasma on my main display somehow thinks that the display is 1920x1080 (see pic: http://kuvaton.com/k/hwt.png ) and puts the main panel "under" the display. Any ideas?
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
That is probably a bug. Can you reproduce on Trunk?

KDE Sysadmin
labralabra
Registered Member
I updated my test environment to kde 4.3 beta2 (http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2.90) and the behaviour is the same.

I have nvidia as the the display driver (and using nvidia-settings to set up the displays).
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
There have been no changes as far as I am aware with regards to Multi Head at this time. Only Xinerama, MergedFB, et. al are supported currently since other modes are unmaintained.

KDE Sysadmin

Reply to topic