Reply to topic

KDE 4: I lost my apps!

twixter
Registered Member

KDE 4: I lost my apps!

Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:35 am
I recently upgraded from Kubuntu Linux 8.04 to 8.10, which finally forces me to use KDE 4. The application icons I created under KDE 3.6 were collected in a window. I clicked on an unusual looking icon at the bottom right corner of this window. The window disappeared, taking all my icons with it.

Is there a relatively easy way for me to get that window back, or will I have to build the data (command line options, etc.) for each icon all over again?

Who puts a kill button in the bottom right corner of a window, anyway?

Thanks for your time.
User avatar neverendingo
Administrator
OS

RE: KDE 4: I lost my apps!

Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:15 am
I guess you meant 3.5, there never was 3.6
And if you are talking about the folderview plasmoid, don't worry, your icons aren't lost. The folderview plasmoid only displays the content of a given directory, defaults to the Desktop directory, where your old icons from 3.5 were located. It's no kill button, only a "close this plasmoid" button.

Just right-click on an empty place on the desktop and select "Add Widgets...".
From there drag the "Folderview" to the desktop. And your icons should reappear.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
User avatar JontheEchinda
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:23 am
I would note that by default the folderview plasmoid shows the /home directory. To get it to show the contents of ~/Desktop, click the wrench on the handles that appear when you hover over folderview. From that configuration dialog you can tell the folderview widget to display the contents of your Desktop folder. (Or any folder you want really)

JontheEchinda, proud to be a member of the Kubuntu team since July 2008.
User avatar neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:23 am
Ah yes, my mistake, sorry.

Communicate.
twixter
Registered Member

Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:01 am
Thanks!
User avatar neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:41 am
If it is solved, then please add a [SOLVED] to the title of your initial post. Thanks.

Communicate.

Reply to topic