Reply to topic

Plasma Wayland locks up immediately on sign in

DemonLoliEtna
Registered Member
Hi, I have a problem with Plasma (Wayland) as per topic. It's always reproducible by doing the following:
  1. Boot computer
  2. Sign in to Plasma (Wayland) at SDDM
  3. Bam, instant lockup

Hardware in use is a dual Xeon workstation with an Nvidia GT 610 graphics card using the Nouveau driver. Distribution is OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 with Plasma 5.12And I'm quite certain it's not a nouveau issue as I have done the following:
  • Upgrade the default OpenSUSE kernel to a vanilla 4.18 kernel from kernel.org. Lockup still occurs upon sign in
  • Tested a Wayland session with Gnome successfully
  • Upgraded Plasma to 5.14 and lockup still occurs
  • Booted with nouveau.noaccel=1 and Plasma Wayland successfully loads but with terrible performance

Any help?
DemonLoliEtna
Registered Member
Seriously nothing? This is honestly unacceptable in 2018.

It was a lot more understandable in 2015 when most distributions were experimenting with Wayland sessions.

Especially after Martin Graesslin's rant on how kDE will not adopt Nvidia's EGLStreams used by the proprietary driver and that he will focus exclusively on GBM, it's ridiculous how Plasma on Wayland won't even play nice on the open drivers it is supposed to support.

Reply to topic