Reply to topic

How can I stop a "new activity" being created

north
Registered Member
OS
Hello. I don't understand activities and I am doing fine without them. KDE generates so-called new activities without my asking it to and I get a list of them in the window menu, on the desktop and in power settings. How do I stop that happening?

I have KDE 4.8.3.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Have you tried upgrading to KDE 4.9? I do know many bugs are still being fixed in activities.

System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer
User avatar lazylew
Registered Member
OS
north wrote:Hello. I don't understand activities ...
Same here; I haven't got a clue what an activity is or does/can do.
I watched some youtube videos where activities are shown, but it's totally unclear to me (I'm on KDE4.9.2 btw).
I don't mean to "steal" your thread, but if activities are explained from scratch, maybe you (we) will find them useful after all? 8)

PC-BSD
User avatar google01103
Manager
OS
User avatar lazylew
Registered Member
OS
Thank you!
I'll end up an expert - just glancing at those 3 pages quickly it looks thorough enough to keep me quiet for some time ;)

EDIT: So being on KDE 4.9.2 I might be out of luck for now and have a buggy activities thing, because "...click the New Activity button which will bring up a popup menu. In this popup menu you will have various types and numbers of Activities, depending upon your installation. Let’s make this simple, so select “Desktop”..." doesn't work; no options to pick from :-\

PC-BSD
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Hmm, you should have a list - even on 4.9.2. Can you reproduce that under a new user?

User avatar lazylew
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Hmm, you should have a list - even on 4.9.2. Can you reproduce that under a new user?
ehm...
Code: Select all
ludo@ludo-IXLs ~ $ sudo adduser
[sudo] password for ludo:
adduser: Only one or two names allowed.
ludo@ludo-IXLs ~ $
something strange happening?

PC-BSD
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The full invocation here would be:
sudo adduser <username>

Where <username> is the username you desire the new user to have. Depending on the distribution, utilities may also be available which provide a graphical user interface to this.

User avatar lazylew
Registered Member
OS
[quote="bcooksley"]The full invocation here would be:
sudo adduser <username>

Thanks bcooksley; the simplest things are sometimes easiest to overlook 8)
Meanwhile I've managed to make a new user and also start using activities.
I'll have to get the hang of it a bit more, but it looks handy already, thanks and sorry for the late reaction - I was abroad for 2 weeks and practically computerless.

PC-BSD

Reply to topic