Reply to topic

Google Gadgets in Kubuntu, KDE 4.2

User avatar Nate
Registered Member

Google Gadgets in Kubuntu, KDE 4.2

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:33 pm
I'm still unable to find google gadgets support in Kubuntu 8.10 with KDE 4.2. Am I missing something or is there a reason why this would not be included with Kubuntu?

Thanks.

Nate, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
User avatar JontheEchinda
KDE Developer
OS
To compile Plasma with Google Gadgets support we would have to move the google-gadgets package from the Universe repository (community-maintained) to Main (Canonical-guaranteed support). Components from Main cannot depend on universe components. Unfortunately, google gadgets has been deemed to not live up to the standards for inclusion in main. Therefore Plasma, a component that lives in a package in the Main archive, cannot depend on google-gadgets, a component in universe.

See: https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ ... bug/314778 for more details.

JontheEchinda, proud to be a member of the Kubuntu team since July 2008.
User avatar Nate
Registered Member
Thanks for the details. Does this mean that google gadget support is unlikely for a long time to come?

Edit: Okay, I see in the bug that it may involve a licensing issue that could potentially be resolved. Thanks again for the info.

Last edited by Nate on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nate, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
KDE Developer
OS
The licensing issues can be worked around, but google-gadgets doesn't have a stable API/ABI policy. Google gadgets probaby won't pass main inclusion until it has one.

mathiasbrito
Registered Member
There is some workaround?
KDE Developer
OS
Well, I guess you could use google-gadgets-qt the old-fashioned way. (I've not tried this personally) There isn't a way to get it all nicely integrated into Plasma though. :(

User avatar aseigo
KDE Developer
JontheEchinda wrote:To compile Plasma with Google Gadgets support we would have to move the google-gadgets package from the Universe repository (community-maintained) to Main (Canonical-guaranteed support). Components from Main cannot depend on universe components.

The Google Gadgets ScriptEngine is, like all other Plasma components, a stand-alone plugin. Which means you could very easily make a package that contains just the GG engine and put that into Universe.

There are two ways of doing this, depending on how sophisticated your packaging build systems are: set kdebase/workspace/plasma/scriptengines/google_gadgets to be a separate package and build kdebase with google gadgets installed _or_ pop the four lines into the google_gadgets CMakeLists.txt necessary to build it independently and use that new and independent source package to build from.

However, seeing as its a separate plugin with only a dependency on libplasma in kdelibs, the "but google gadgets is in universe" reason isn't valid. It may be a matter of a bit more work for you, but not much and it's completely doable.

Other distros manage to do it, after all.

aseigo, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
nightfrost
Registered Member
This is one of the top hits when googling for "plasma google gadget kubuntu".
I'd like to recompile the kdebase-workspace package with ggl support for plasma. Does anyone know what additional dependency I need to add? I have a hard time it'd be the ggl package...

Thanks.

nightfrost, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
rincewind
Registered Member
nightfrost wrote:This is one of the top hits when googling for "plasma google gadget kubuntu".
I'd like to recompile the kdebase-workspace package with ggl support for plasma. Does anyone know what additional dependency I need to add? I have a hard time it'd be the ggl package...

Thanks.

Hi! I just installed Jaunty beta today, and if you are using KDE4.2 you might want to do the same. With this version, google gadgets are in the repository, and therefore it is quite easy to compile the appropriate part of kdebase. in practice, you need these two packages: libggadget-qt-1.0-dev, libggadget-1.0-dev.

I've published a short howto on how to enable google plasmoids without recompiling the whole kdebase package, you can find it here: http://www.francescosantini.com/files/g ... jaunty.txt

I also packaged a deb file with the binaries, in case you are looking for a simple solution (following aseigo's hint). Check the main page: http://www.francescosantini.com/index.php?page=linux

HTH

Francesco
User avatar MountainX
Registered Member
OS
rincewind wrote:
nightfrost wrote:This is one of the top hits when googling for "plasma google gadget kubuntu".

Thanks.

Hi! I just installed Jaunty beta today, and if you are using KDE4.2 you might want to do the same. With this version, google gadgets are in the repository, and therefore it is quite easy to compile the appropriate part of kdebase. in practice, you need these two packages: libggadget-qt-1.0-dev, libggadget-1.0-dev.

I've published a short howto on how to enable google plasmoids without recompiling the whole kdebase package, you can find it here: http://www.francescosantini.com/files/g ... jaunty.txt

I also packaged a deb file with the binaries, in case you are looking for a simple solution (following aseigo's hint). Check the main page: http://www.francescosantini.com/index.php?page=linux

HTH

Francesco

Thank you! Is this still the best approach with Kubuntu Karmic?
rincewind
Registered Member
MountainX wrote:
Thank you! Is this still the best approach with Kubuntu Karmic?

Hi!

I guess so, the Launchpad bug (https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/google-gadgets/+bug/314778) seems stale... But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,

Francesco
aiiee
Registered Member
OS
This doesn't work in 9.10.

Running it seems to have woofed my desktop a bit, still sorting that out.

Can anyone try to install google gadgets under 9.10? It would be nice......
jajaX
Registered Member
OS
hi (sorry for my bad english)

you can found google packages in KPackageKit =>

- google-gadgets-common
- google-gadgets-qt
- etc...

under kubuntu karmic ;)

regards
jaja
--------
abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI/Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600/6041 Mo DDR2/2 Asus silent 8600 Gt 512Mo & ACER Aspire 5612 WLMI : kubuntu Maverick Meerkat 11.04 (32 bits) & KDE SC 4.7 - amarok 2.4.1 - kmail2
aiiee
Registered Member
OS
jajaX wrote:hi (sorry for my bad english)

you can found google packages in KPackageKit =>

- google-gadgets-common
- google-gadgets-qt
- etc...

under kubuntu karmic ;)

well good grief! Thank you jajaX!
rincewind
Registered Member
@aiiee: In my upgrade Jaunty->Karmic the package did not give any problem, but I'll recompile a Karmic version soon, to be sure. What architecture are you using?

@jajaX: those are the usual packages for google gadgets, but they don't provide plasmoid integration (which needs recompilation of kdebase-workspace). They were included in Jaunty as well.

Cheers,

Francesco

Reply to topic