Reply to topic

Sharing Plasmoids over Network in KDE 4.4

ChemBro
Registered Member
OS
Hi there!

I read that you're able to share your plasmoids over the network. I'm trying to understand, how to do that. I "enabled" my "now playing" for the network (don't know the right words, I hope, you understand me :-) ), but I don't know how to receive the information "on the other side" (meaning my netbook).

How do you do that?
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Apparently, you need to browse "network:/" find the computer in question then click on the plasmoids entry on the list that appears.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]http://forum.kde.org/content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
ChemBro
Registered Member
OS
Okay. But there is nothing. Do I have to configure something? Some Zeroconf-things (I don't know [now], what this is, I only guess)?
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You may need Avahi running ( potentially on both machines ) in order for this to work.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]http://forum.kde.org/content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
User avatar keystonerose
Registered Member
OS
I, too, have been trying to work out how to share a plasmoid over a network. I have Avahi running on both computers, and zeroconf:/ is populated as expected. However, there is still nothing under network:/.

I'd be grateful if anyone could help steer me in the right direction.
User avatar keystonerose
Registered Member
OS
Solved it -- restarting KDE after setting up Avahi caused shared plasmoids to be detected and announced accordingly (and also caused network:/ to be populated correctly).
mazter
Registered Member
OS
I'm trying this too, but when clicking on the button that says that "a new widget has become available on the network" to add it, nothing happens, nothing is added to the desktop.

Going to network:/ on dolphin will show the widget on the remote pc but clicking on it or dragging it to the desktop won't don anything either, and sometimes will crash plasma.

Is this the way this feature is supposed to be used ?

I'm on KDE 4.4.2
mazter
Registered Member
OS
Ok I just found that to be able to use this feature, you need to have kwallet enabled. Now with kwallet enabled, the widgets are added to the desktop, but they seem to be using local data engines and local data.

First I tried with a YawP weather widget which on the sharing computer is configured for my currenty city. When added to my laptop it shows the weather for Johannesburg, which is the default city for that applet instead of the city configured on the sharing computer.

Then I tried sharing a notes widget with some notes on it but it appears empty when added on my latop.

How can I change this behavior ? it doesn't seem very useful like this :P

And last, when I deleted the widgets on the sharing computer, they weren't deleted too on the laptop, is this the expected behavior too ?

Thanks
User avatar einar
Administrator
OS
Some of the sharing stuff (such as local vs remote data sources) should be fixed fro 4.5.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
mazter
Registered Member
OS
Ahh ok, thanks for the info :)
User avatar Skye
Registered Member
OS
It's been over a year so I've been wondering when will widgets sync?

I'd like a notes widget with synced content on two machines. At least on my configuration (server chakra 4.7, host opensuse 4.6) this doesn't seem to work.

So what does work beside announcing a widget instance over the network?

Reply to topic