Hello
I have an important (for me) question:

I have two kmy files,
Code: Select all
accounting-2017-plus.kmy
and
accounting-up-to-2016.kmy

Unfortunately I have not realised when I started with the tax return, that I started the 2017/18 input in the the wrong file (accounting-up-to-2016.

Is there a way to transfer my data (accounting-2016/17-up-to-2016.kmy) into the correct place, (accounting-2017-plus.kmy»?

I would also like to bar further changes to the older file, but not deleting it. Is there a way to do this?

And sorry, but I use KMyMoney not too often, mainly just for the Tax Return.

Thanks to any detailled help.

Arran

Best greetings from Scotland's nicest holiday island.
Kubuntu 14.04-5 & KDE neon, 64 bits, Nvidia 4800GS, 4MB Ram, 4 core, HP Monitor 2550 x 1600 pixels.
User avatar ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS
Arran wrote:Is there a way to transfer my data (accounting-2016/17-up-to-2016.kmy) into the correct place, (accounting-2017-plus.kmy»?

Besides fiddling with the raw data in the XML file (which I would not recommend to a regular user at all) your best bet is to use the QIF export on the source file and QIF import on the destination file. Exporting allows to select a date range. I would recommend to use the most recent version to do that (possibly the AppImage version if you are on 5.0+). I would also expect some manual cleanup work afterwards. YMMV.

Arran wrote:I would also like to bar further changes to the older file, but not deleting it. Is there a way to do this?

I am afraid that this is currently not possible but certainly a good point to think about. Here's an idea though which would work on *NIX systems: create a separate directory, move your data file there and make the directory write protected. That would go as follows:

mkdir quarantine
mv your-data-file.kmy quarantine
chmod 555 quarantine

Then KMyMoney cannot write into the directory and the file is save.

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.0 64bit, KF5
User avatar Arran
Registered Member
OS
Thank you very much, ipwizard.
I think I continue to finish the TaxReturn in the present way and once done and sent off, I will do the transfer later.

Best greetings from Scotland's nicest holiday island.
Kubuntu 14.04-5 & KDE neon, 64 bits, Nvidia 4800GS, 4MB Ram, 4 core, HP Monitor 2550 x 1600 pixels.

Reply to topic