Reply to topic

Currency update and reports

mbeenham
Registered Member
OS

Re: Currency update and reports

Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:38 pm
Things are becoming clearer to me - I have been confused...

I recently imported all my accounts by QIF from MSMoney.

MSMoney has no record of the exchange rate at the time of entry of a transaction.

It seems to me that KMyMoney records the exchange rate at the time the transaction is entered.

Therefore importing by QIF means that I have bypassed all that so the exchange rate for imported transactions is garbage (seems to default to 1).

I have demonstrated that to myself by re-entering an imported transaction that had the wrong conversion to base currency, entering the correct rate when prompted. The report then displays the correct amount for the transaction converted to base currency.

So I have a whole lot of historical transactions that are wrong when expressed as base currency. Now that I know, this is not an issue - going forward everything will work out fine. The only way to correct this would be to go to every historical transaction and enter the correct rate I think I'll pass on that. I may just correct this year's transactions.

Not a KMyMoney problem - a deficiency of MSMoney/QIF import.

Editing Tools-Prices does not affect the transactions so I assume the rate is saved as part of the transaction record which makes perfect sense.

So I think three conclusions:

1. In the report the price column shows the latest price from the downloaded prices and not the transaction rate. It would possibly be better to show the transaction conversion rate, but that is not important to me.

2. There is still the issue of the report showing the converted value of a transaction whatever option is selected. I think that should be fixed.

3. I really would like to be able to turn off currency online updating for reasons already discussed.
:*

Linux Mint 17.2
KMyMoney Version 4.7.2
Using KDE Development Platform 4.14.2
User avatar ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:22 pm
Ok, we have understood the desire to turn off the auto D/L of conversion rates. Right now, we're in the feature freeze, so it won't happen until we released 1.0. After that, it does not seem to be too hard to add.

Did you already file a feature request on http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_i ... tid=354708

ipwizard, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney forum since its beginning. :-D
openSuSE Leap 15.0 64bit, KF5
User avatar Hei Ku
OS

Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:36 am
I think other people had no problem with the rates. Are you sure there is no way to export a QIF file that contains that information?

Hei Ku, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney Development Team since January-2008
mbeenham
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:37 am
Thanks for the steer - I've filed a request as suggested.

Does fixing the bug in the report also need some form of formal request?

Linux Mint 17.2
KMyMoney Version 4.7.2
mbeenham
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:54 am
Hei Ku wrote:I think other people had no problem with the rates. Are you sure there is no way to export a QIF file that contains that information?

No, I'm not sure - but AFAIK MSMoney doesn't keep historical currency prices. I just had a look at the QIF file that I exported from one of my foreign currency accounts and there's no exchange rate information attached to the transactions.

Linux Mint 17.2
KMyMoney Version 4.7.2
User avatar Hei Ku
OS

Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:37 am
mbeenham wrote:Does fixing the bug in the report also need some form of formal request?

No, you don't need to. I'm already looking at it, and I have a draft for a fix on my box. I am just going to take a couple of days to take a look at it and make sure it works. I'm going through some personal issues, so I want to make sure I don't commit anything without having a long look at it, trying not to break anything with this fix.

Hei Ku, proud to be a member of the KMyMoney Development Team since January-2008
mbeenham
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:03 pm
Thanks for your response - please take your time, this is not a big issue for me and in no way impacts on what I need to do with KMyMoney -everything is work-roundable.

The support in this forum is outstanding.
The application is outstanding.
I do not regret upgrading to KMyMoney from MSMoney.
I only regret not doing it sooner...

Linux Mint 17.2
KMyMoney Version 4.7.2
User avatar ipwizard
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:28 pm
mbeenham wrote:The support in this forum is outstanding.
The application is outstanding.
I do not regret upgrading to KMyMoney from MSMoney.
I only regret not doing it sooner...

I just had to drop this here: http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/user-comments.html
User avatar Hei Ku
OS

Re: Currency update and reports  Topic is solved

Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:11 am
Hei Ku wrote:No, you don't need to. I'm already looking at it, and I have a draft for a fix on my box. I am just going to take a couple of days to take a look at it and make sure it works. I'm going through some personal issues, so I want to make sure I don't commit anything without having a long look at it, trying not to break anything with this fix.

It is fixed in CVS now. You will have it available in the version 1.0 or a CVS package.

mbeenham
Registered Member
OS

Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:34 am
I just ran the report, first time in a while, and the problem seems to have gone so I guess your fix has made its way into the repository and one of the recent updates has installed it.

Thanks a lot for that, now all I need is a clean way of stopping EURO - GBP currency updates.

Linux Mint 17.2
KMyMoney Version 4.7.2

Reply to topic