This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] Apps have a problem remebering their window size

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Rettich
Registered Member
OS
Since the latest update of KDE4.1.3 (openSuse) it looks like all KDE4 applications have a real problem remembering there window size. (KDE3 and other apps working still well.)

This mostly occurs, when my second monitor isn't connected.

Murphy's Law is recursive. Washing your car to make it rain doesn't work.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
This does not happen under 9 hour old trunk from yesterday. The only thing I can recommend is updating to the latest in the KDE:KDE4:Factory repository, trying under another user and then finally reporting the problem to the maintainers of the KDE:KDE4:Factory repository, if you still cannot get it to work.

If it works under another user then your profile in ~/.kde4 will need to have some files removed.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Rettich
Registered Member
OS
I had some time now and I tried the following:

1. Moved ~/.kde4 to ~/.kde4_old
2. Loged in (with to 2 monitors/TwinView). Everything worked fine.
3. Loged out, removed the 2. monitor and loged in again. Still everything worked fine. (All applications remembered there size correctly)
4. Set Compiz as the default window manager. Closed and opened Konqueror again. Still everything okay.
5. Loged out and in again (with one monitor) and "boom" ... same problem as before. All KDE4 applications started in fullscreen mode.

Btw: When I set Compiz as the default window manager and log in, ALT+F1 (open K-Menu) doesn't work. I have tried some different configurations but nothing helped.

Hans
Administrator
OS
Wait, so the window manager is Compiz when this happens?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
Rettich
Registered Member
OS
Jup, forgot to mention it in the first post.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You will find that it is Compiz breaking this then, since applications are restored and controlled by the window manager. You will probably find that when you switched initially to Compiz, KWin remained running just not being the Window Manager to assist applications. Of course, when you log out and back in again, KWin does not return, and the functionality breaks.

KDE Sysadmin
Rettich
Registered Member
OS
But it worked and I thought I didn't upgrade Compiz ...

So the question is: Is there a solution, or should I just wait for some more updates?

waldelf
Registered Member
OS
kde-apps-forget-th ... 16536.html

i've got a similar problem.. and i am using kwin!
if only the apps would open maximized (as that is what i want most of the time)

no solution yet.. for now i configured every window separately (forced to maximize it)

Last edited by waldelf on Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kubuntu 12.04 x64 | KDE SC 4.8
Nvidia 8800 GTS | Core2Duo E6600 | 4 GB RAM
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
@waldelf: do you have any particular applications which are affected by this problem? I checked both Kopete, KMail, KGet, Amarok 1.4 under KDE trunk and cannot reproduce. Maybe the problem has already been fixed in trunk?

KDE Sysadmin
Zarin
KDE Developer
OS
bcooksley wrote:@waldelf: do you have any particular applications which are affected by this problem? I checked both Kopete, KMail, KGet, Amarok 1.4 under KDE trunk and cannot reproduce. Maybe the problem has already been fixed in trunk?

Nothing in KWin has changed that would affect this in over six months, if there is a change it's not in the window manager.
Poliander
Registered Member
OS
I think I have a similar problem. It affects all KDE and/or QT based application on my installation. I'm using latest KDE SVN on a Debian Lenny/Sid installation, with some packages from the experimental branch, QT 4.4.3 e.g. (but tried also the qt-copy installed by the kdesvn-build script with no difference). The problem existed already with 4.1.x packages from kde4.debian.net. Window effects are disabled, but the problem occurs also when I enable them.

I give some examples (but I repeat, all apps suffer from this problem):

- Click on the wpagui icon in the system tray; window appears in the upper right corner of my display; I move the window to another position and click on the close button. Opening wpagui again, it opens in the upper right corner. Same effect with any KDE program.

- KMail does not remember the column headings (date, subject, sender) - really annoying! The first time I start KMail I have to resize the columns and change the order, everytime.

- Resizing or replacing Lancelot - after the menu is closed, it will open using the default position and size again (ok not so important )

...and so on. Is that a QT related problem? I have no idea what could be wrong on my installation, I appreciate any hint I can get. I tried also to delete my .kde* folders in my home directory, thought there were some configuration file related problems, with no effect...

:-(

Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 | Kernel 2.6.27.6 | KDE 4.3 SVN
Nvidia 8600M GS | Core2Duo T7300 | 2 GB RAM
waldelf
Registered Member
OS
i just upgradet to 4.1.80.. (wow what an adventure.. that was hard work :-) ) it's definitely not "fixed" in trunk (if there is something to fix) maybe purging mei .kde dir would help ^^

one app is kontakt.. i use the allways in tray option and everytime i minimize to tray it looses it's windowsize information... so i force it to maximize.. works for me..

Kubuntu 12.04 x64 | KDE SC 4.8
Nvidia 8800 GTS | Core2Duo E6600 | 4 GB RAM
Rettich
Registered Member
OS
The problem is not really that they forget the size. At least they don't forget everything.

I have some KDE4 applications (such as Konqueror, Kwrite, Okular) which start maximized (how they should) when I have to monitors (with TwinView). But if I have only one monitor plugged in (and this is quite offen because the system runs on a laptop) these applications start in fullscreen mode and this quite annoying.

This happens only to KDE4 applications which are maximized by default. KDE3 and other applications such as Firefox start maximized as they should.

I also think this is not a problem of KWin because I'm using Compiz as the default window manager (and with KWin it works), but it's not a problem of Compiz either, rather a problem of the combination KDE4 - Compiz - TwinView

And I'm pretty sure this worked before and the problem came with one of the KDE4 updates.

The ALT-F1 is another problem ... this key combination didn't work from the beginning of KDE4. But we should solve one problem after the other.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The reason KDE 4 is broken with Compiz may have something to do with Kephal now being used for Screen Management by both Plasma and KWin, which is why they work and Compiz doesn't.

This could explain why it would have been broken by a update to latest trunk, because that would have been when Kephal was added. Normal applications do not interface with Kephal as far as I am aware though.

KDE Sysadmin
Rettich
Registered Member
OS
But I'm do not use the trunk. I've installed the KDE 4.1.3

But I think the best thing is to wait and maybe if I have some time looking through the bugs.