This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Global-Shortcuts] assign mouse buttons to keyboard shortcuts

Votes
Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
steampoweredlawngnome
Registered Member
OS
With most modern mice coming with many more buttons than the standard five, it would be nice if there were a way to assign those extra mouse buttons to specific keyboard shortcuts. Even better, allow combinations of key + mouse button events.

Examples:

I have an extra thumb button on my mouse that I would really like to function as Alt+Button1, so I can just use the thumb button to drag windows from anywhere on the window

Compiz by default zooms the desktop by Meta+scroll wheel, it would be nice to have the ability to duplicate this functionality in KDE.

Maybe a user might want to map ctrl+alt+esc to a mouse button to have one-click access to the process manager.

This may already exist, but I have not yet found an easy or reliable way to do it. Maybe it could added into the Keyboard & Mouse panel in System Settings.

Last edited by bcooksley on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

steampoweredlawngnome, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
alex789
Registered Member
OS
yes, need to make shortcuts for mouse (6-button mouse too)))
and with two scroll wheel

and use special keybord button for shortcuts: power, sleep, wake, turbo

and allow to recognize ALT_L and ALT_R, etc (if user want it)

Last edited by alex789 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
I would prefer that we be able to use the mouse directly in shortcuts, rather than having to map them to keyboard preses.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Primoz
OS
I agree with TheBlackCat. I would like to see that you would have a choice to use only mouse buttons, and mouse+keyboard buttons.

Primoz, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
alex789
Registered Member
OS
Primoz
+1
steampoweredlawngnome
Registered Member
OS
Good call TheBlackCat, it would definitely be better to be able to make direct shortcuts using mouse buttons or mouse+keyboard, rather than mapping keyboard combos to mouse buttons.

Either way, I just want to be able to put all the random, currently useless extra buttons on my mouse to good use.

Last edited by steampoweredlawngnome on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steampoweredlawngnome, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
Digit
Registered Member
yes, lovely idea.

sometimes we just want to slouch back and use only one hand, and still be productive. this would greatly increase the potential for such productivity. i can already envision myself pulling up a window list or application menu list with a simple mouse button press from the two side buttons.

wow that could really free up alot of desktop retail space.
rhasselbaum
Registered Member
Definitely agree. I have low vision, so I rely on the Zoom Desktop feature a lot. One thing I miss from Compiz is the ease of activating this with Meta+MouseWheel.

Short-term, is there a way to achieve this using Xmodmap or something similar?
Solid1986Snake
Registered Member
You can assign your Shortcut Keys via xbindkeys very easily to mouse buttons at the moment, so this shouldn't be a problem.

But the direct assigning from mouse buttons to actions would be very interesting I think! For example i am really missing the feature to close windows in scale-windows effect by pressing middle mousebutton over it....

I didn't find a solution to realize this with xbindkeys at the moment!

I opened a new thread with pointing more to extended mouse button implementation... if it would be accpeted I will post link here...

Greetz Solid

@rhasselbaum: if there is a keyboard shortcut for zooming out or in you could map it via xbindkeys... another solution would be if there is a dbus call for zooming... just have a look for it

Last edited by Solid1986Snake on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Xbindkeys is far from a user-friendly approach, nor is it part of KDE.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
XmontanaroX
Registered Member
+1

i want to go back and forward with dolphin by using the two buttons on the left side of my mouse. this already works with firefox
Rms-Mit
Registered Member
OS
This is an area that is going to need a lot of work in the next year or two. X-windows now supports multiple mouses and multiple keyboards.

Also new input meathods are coming=> touch screen, Wii remotes, web cam gestures, Infa-Red remotes etc . . .

We need an input device config page that incorporates all of this in a flexible but extendable maner that allows linking of keyborad 1 with mouse 1 and keyboard 2 with mouse 2 etc.

With input device setup being so flexable we need a INPUT shortcuts to be just as expandable and flexable. It should then be posible to link an InfaRed remote action to a function as easy as it is to link a keyboard shortcut. Or make a key combo on one of keyboard do something different to the key key combination on a second keyboard on the same computer. Wii remote button 'A' activate the same action as ALT-Tab or a mouse gesture or mouse key etc. . .

In short Global shortcuts should cover all input devices not just mouse and keyboard. :-D

Last edited by Rms-Mit on Thu May 07, 2009 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
@ Rms: There is already an idea about that: Plugin-based shorcut system (keyboard, mouse, lirc, joysticks, etc.)

-NASA in 1965
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Idea marked as duplicate of plugin-based-shorc ... 38921.html

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]