This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Folder Contents in Icon

Votes
Tags: dolphin dolphin dolphin
(comma "," separated)
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

[Dolphin] Folder Contents in Icon

Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:37 pm
This idea is for Dolphin that I think it is important because it adds a bit of polish to the program:

When you have thumbnails enabled for a folder, and that folder has subfolders, dolphin will go through the subfolders and grab thumbnails for a handful of files from each subfolder (just a few, there are three shown here). These are then placed inside of the folder as examples of the contents of that folder. Vista already has this.

If you have no files in the subfolder, you get something like this:

Notice that not only are there no icons shown, there is a big "Zero" on the folder. This is because it may be ambiguous whether the folder is not showing any previews because previews are turned off, or because there are no files to show previews of. The other thing that may not be apparent at first glance is that the icon for this folder is different than the normal one, even excluding the zero. The folder is closed tightly, in contrast to the normal icon that has the folder open somewhat. This is once again to show there is nothing there, but it is not as obvious as the zero. I do not believe Vista has this, but I think it is a nice touch.

This is part of my series of Dolphin ideas

Last edited by TheBlackCat on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
SeaJey
Registered Member
OS
This idea is already in work:

kubuntu 10.04 AMD64 - KDE 4.4
AMD - radeonHD - M-Audio revolution 5.1
Hans
Administrator
OS
In case you've missed it:

KDE for painters

Since this doesn't include the "zero on folder" idea, I'll leave this thread open for discussion.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
I would expand on this somewhat.

1. If the folder really is empty, the zero-icon should be used.
2. If the folder contains something but previews are turned off (or the content is of a kind that does not provide previews, i.e. MS Word documents) the folder is half-open.
3. In opposite of 2, when the folder contains previewable material with previews turned on it should use previews.

That would, imo, provide better visual feedback than a combined 1 and 2.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Kryten2X4B wrote:I would expand on this somewhat.

1. If the folder really is empty, the zero-icon should be used.
2. If the folder contains something but previews are turned off (or the content is of a kind that does not provide previews, i.e. MS Word documents) the folder is half-open.
3. In opposite of 2, when the folder contains previewable material with previews turned on it should use previews.

That would, imo, provide better visual feedback than a combined 1 and 2.

Yes, that is the whole point of having the zero icon, to differentiate between an empty folder and a full folder with previews off.

SeaJey wrote:This idea is already in work:

My idea looks better, IMO :-) It is at least a different appearance for the same idea, so even without the zero folder idea I think it is still worth keeping.

Last edited by TheBlackCat on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
TheBlackCat wrote:Yes, that is the whole point of having the zero icon, to differentiate between an empty folder and a full folder with previews off.

I really must learn how to read...somehow I got the impression that the zero could mean either "no files at all" or "no files that supports thumbnailing".

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.