This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Dolphin] Per-Mimetype Thumbnails

Votes
Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
This idea is that in Dolphin users should be able to turn thumbnails on and off on a per-mimetype basis. The Folderview plasmoid already has this, but Dolphin does not for some reason. A good example of the usefulness of this is *.desktop files used for shortcuts, which, when preview is on, show the contents of the text file instead of the shortcut it is supposed to be. So instead of seeing, say, an icon of a folder for your shortcut, you see a preview of a text file. This should be in the normal dolphin configuration dialog. It would work with the existing show/hide preview option. If you choose to show previews, it will only show the previews you allow it to show.

This is part of my series of Dolphin ideas

Last edited by bcooksley on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
Personally, I'd LOVE this even if only implemented for the .desktop files. Mainly because I've set Dolphin to ALWAYS show previews no matter what directory it's in. It would also make the applications:/ url a LOT more useful.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

RE: [Dolphin] Per-Mimetype Thumbnails

Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:40 pm
This has been implemented in trunk.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Implementation in trunk confirmed. Idea marked as Implemented.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Shouldn't this go in "done"?

-NASA in 1965
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Oops.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
eldarion
Registered Member
OS
Nice. I missed this feature. Thanks for making it happen.