This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Recursive Folder Information

Votes
Tags: dolphin dolphin dolphin
(comma "," separated)
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
This is an idea for an improvement for the information panel in Dolphin. Look at the top panel below:

The idea here is that the information panel should show information for folders recursively, including their subfolders. So for instance it should show the size of all files in a folder and all of its subfolders. The same should be true for the "details" view in dolphin, the "size" column should show the total size of all items within a folder, including the contents of subfolders not just the size of the folder "file". This is infeasible right now but should be possible with Nepomuk down the road.

This is part of my series of Dolphin ideas

Last edited by TheBlackCat on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
waldelf
Registered Member
OS

Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:24 pm
wouldn't this make the info panel very very slow?

Kubuntu 12.04 x64 | KDE SC 4.8
Nvidia 8800 GTS | Core2Duo E6600 | 4 GB RAM
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:36 pm
That is why I said it is infeasible without nepomuk. Obviously recursively searching through every folder would be way to slow, but using nepomuk's metadata store should make it reasonably fast.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
nerdopolis
Registered Member
OS

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:50 pm
I voted this up because I could use this

BTW: how did you get that actions panel in Dolphin? I could really use that too...
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:02 pm
The actions panel is another mockup. I generally combined several mockups into one for simplicity.

-NASA in 1965
Lukas
Registered Member

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:59 am
Nepomuk does not index all directories :( Also this info is not always used :(

But having a button More info or similar to count sizes on demand solves both. It could even be used by directly hitting hard drive (and I think its better way to go, since nepomuk can go out of sync for new files) :D