This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

HOWTO Panel in KDE 4.1.2

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

HOWTO Panel in KDE 4.1.2

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:50 pm
After i saw that maybe some options of the new Panel in KDE 4 are not so obvious to new users i thought i should write a howto. So here it comes.

At first start you are presented with this nice black bar on the bottom of the screen. It fills the entire space and is maybe polluted with some buttons or a clock or whatever your distro chose to put in.

So how can i configure it?

Well, at the right side of the panel you should see something like this:

Notice the little cashew right from the clock? It's the plasma logo by the way...
Click on it and you are presented with a new bar on top of the panel.
If you don't the this logo, it is possible that your widgets are locked. Just right-click anywhere on your desktop and choose "Unlock Widgets". Now you should see it.

How can i change the height of the panel?

So let's assume you are not happy with the height of the panel, you want a bigger one. What to do?
On top of this new bar there is a handle.
Drag it to the height of your choice.

And what about the width?

A bit hard to see, so see this screenshot.

See this litte blue and green triangles on the right? The green one is for the minimum width of the panel, the blue one is for the maximum width.
Don't ask for the difference between them for now, i guess there is work going on.
For now just drag the blue one to make the panel smaller and the green one to make it bigger.
But that's not all. Maybe you are not satisfied with the aligment of the panel.
Then use this:

Here you have the choice to align the panel to the right, the left, or center.
And if you want a bit more finetuning, there is a third triangle in the center, a white one. With that you can put the panel on whatever position you want.

Ok, nice, but i don't like my panel on the bottom

Well, no problem. Simply drag the configuration bar above the panel to a position you want, left, right, top or bottom.

How can i add Widgets to my panel?

You maybe know the "Add Widget" dialog from the desktop. From there you can choose a widget and drag it onto a free place on the panel.
But maybe that is hard sometimes, as there aren't many free places at all.
So a better way can be this:
Again go to the configuration bar for the panel, choose "Add Widget".
Now select the widget you want. But don't drag it! Highlight it, and click the "Add Widget" button in the dialog. This way the widget automatically get's added to the panel, not the desktop.

Great, but the position is not what i wanted

No problem, that can be solved. When you are in the configuration modus (you clicked the cashew on he panel), hover over the different areas of the panel, and you will see a crosshair. with this crosshair you can move all currently active widgets on the panel to a position you want. And that was it.

Hope this was useful, if not, feel free to correct me. Any input welcome.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
einar
Administrator
OS

RE: HOWTO Panel in KDE 4.1.2

Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:36 am
This should go into UserBase as well, methinks. There are also videos on YouTube (some made by me, some by others) that show the resizing in action. When I get home I'll try to put the links here.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:05 pm
Yes, that was my original intention to put it later into userbase, if it's helpful.

Communicate.
Mark Ziegler
Registered Member
OS

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:21 pm
I can do that for you I you wish.
Right now I am writing on another tutorial and working with mediawiki feels very confident.

Another idea would be to just make a link in userbase to forum entry.
What do you think?

Cheers

Please visit http://userbase.kde.org as well to get an overview about what kde can do for you :-)
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:23 pm
Sure, feel free to add it if you want. I already added a comment to the talk page of plasma on userbase.

Communicate.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:38 pm
Mark Ziegler wrote:Another idea would be to just make a link in userbase to forum entry.

Well, a link might generate some traffic and PageRank...

Communicate.
Mark Ziegler
Registered Member
OS

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:49 pm
Right now I added a link to http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials

Later we have to decide if we want to have tutorials in Userbase and forum or if we just keep the tutorial in only one location and use links.

Cheers

Please visit http://userbase.kde.org as well to get an overview about what kde can do for you :-)
flying_stranger
Registered Member

Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:38 pm
Thanks for the FAQ, but...
how to change the panel height = how to make it smaller
It is incredibly huge, i want it at least twice as smaller, the "tiny" style, that was in kde3.

in kde 3 i could place two panels at bottom of screen, one above another, but in kde4 they both are docking to the edge of the screen, so they overlay
how can I avoid that?

what about the other options for individual panel adjustment - like transparency?

thanks. I hope i ask the questions in a proper topic...

flying_stranger, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:20 am
Well, at least other questions should be posted elsewhere as this is only for tutorials and tipps. See the plasma forum for example.
Nevertheless, your first question.
You can make it smaller the same way as you make it bigger. Just drag the handle to the bottom, not the top, and see if the resulting size fits your needs. Maybe i should add it to the howto.
Regarding your second panel, maybe that will work in 4.2, so just be patient.

Communicate.
Grizly
Registered Member

Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:03 am
I don't known if it's the proper topic ...

I think that in the panel of kde 4.1 you must add the 'auto-cache' function [the panel appear when we pass on the bottom of the display with the mouse and disappear if unused].

Also: in the function 'create a new panel' add the possibility to create a non-empty panel that include the defaults applets (clock, task manager, ....)
msoeken
Mentor
OS

Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:25 am
Grizly wrote:I don't known if it's the proper topic ...

I think that in the panel of kde 4.1 you must add the 'auto-cache' function [the panel appear when we pass on the bottom of the display with the mouse and disappear if unused].

Also: in the function 'create a new panel' add the possibility to create a non-empty panel that include the defaults applets (clock, task manager, ....)

Is this a wish?

[size=x-small]code | [url=cia.vc/stats/author/msoeken]cia.vc[/url] | [url=kde.org/support]donating KDE[/url] | [url=tinyurl.com/cto4ns]wishlist[/url][/size]
Grizly
Registered Member

Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:17 pm
msoeken wrote:Is this a wish?

Yes ... [an user feedback].
msoeken
Mentor
OS

Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:35 pm
The first wish 'auto-cache' seems to be the auto-hide panel wish. This feature is implemented in KDE 4.2. For the second issue you could file a bug report on http://bugs.kde.org. There it can be discussed with the plasma developers.

By the way. New features will only be added to a stable release as 4.1.* in very rare cases. But KDE 4.2.0 should be released in January 2009.

Cheers, m.

[size=x-small]code | [url=cia.vc/stats/author/msoeken]cia.vc[/url] | [url=kde.org/support]donating KDE[/url] | [url=tinyurl.com/cto4ns]wishlist[/url][/size]
johann_p
Registered Member

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:40 pm
Could you please add information on how to add a program to the panel which is not in the menu? I haven't found a way to do this while it is extremely simple to do in KDE3 and GNOME.

Overall I am quite disappointed about KDE4 so far ... I always preferred KDE over GNOME because it gave me more flexibility and more freedom to do what I wanted -- with KDE4 I know have the feeling of having even less freedom and flexibility in comparison to GNOME. Things got more difficult instead of easier (why would I have to search for a tiny visual hint when the same option could be clearly visible in a menu?).
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:53 am
Since you would probably want it in the menu anyway, use the menu editor to add it to the menu, then drag it to the panel from there. If you do not want it in the menu you could probably then delete it from the menu, but I do not know if the Plasma shortcut would still work.

Alternatively you could code your own *.desktop file, and drag that on to the panel ( I do not know how well that would work ) just make sure you do not delete the *.desktop file in question.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]