This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

New Plugin - Jabberbot

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

New Plugin - Jabberbot

Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:34 am
Hello,

i made a new plugin for mybb. It's a jabberbot. It notifies you about new replies in threads you are subscribed or about new threads in forums you are subscribed.

How does it work? At first you need a valid jabber id in your user cp. Then under "user cp" -> "edit options" there is a new field under "Messaging and Notification" called "Enable Jabber Notifications for subscriptions".

Currently i have already tested it but i need some live feedback if it really works like expected.
So please tell me your opinion and if it is helpful.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
Alec
Registered Member
OS

RE: New Plugin - Jabberbot

Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:14 am
Sounds great!

I now added a Jabber account but none of my subscribed threads have been updated yet... :)

Get problems solved faster - get reply notifications through Jabber!
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:15 am
Hah, and i got your response over jabber. You should get mine too, if you are subscribed.

Communicate.
Alec
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:26 am
It seems I forgot to save after checking the checkbox :(

neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:27 am
Ok, then a next try. ;)

Communicate.
Alec
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:31 am
Cool, it worked this time!

I guess this is a much better idea than the RSS feed, since it gives instant notification! :)

Thanks a lot!

neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:33 am
That was the intention, yes. :)
Ok, i will wait another day for feedback before i release it as real plugin for mybb.

Communicate.
JLP
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:31 am
I've already been using this feature on some phpBB3 forums and it is nice to see it here too. Thank you very much for this!

ImageImage
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:32 pm
Due to a security hole i needed to disable it until it was fixed. Now it works again, but whoever has set "Enable Jabber Notifications..." needs to enable it again.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Communicate.
Githzerai
Registered Member
OS

Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:23 am
Works over-perfectly.

With that "over" I mean that there is one slightly devastating thing about it.

I saw the jabberbot thing last night, enabled it, and subscribed few themes.... to see how it works....

Well, I don't have Kopete running all the time, so when I started it today, my screen was overflowed with notify messages from jabberbot. It sent a separate notify for every new post instead of just sending a single notify "new post(s) in $THEME".

This might not look as a big problem, but imagine someone doesn't turn on jabber for a few days, and when that person finaly does turn it on...... well, you can imagine how would it fell to hear that 'new message' sound in kopete for 50-60-170 or even more times. (I subscribed only 3 themes and got 17 messages :) ), without being able to do anything else because of those f@#$%$ messages covering half of the screen. :)

And that sound ....I'll never ever turn it on again i swear...

ding,ding,ding,ding,ding,ding,ding,ding,ding,ding,ding,ding,......

Last edited by Githzerai on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stercus accidit
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:37 am
Something that happened to me, too. And i have way more subscriptions... So, yes, i will look into that further. For now i disabled the notify messages in kopete for myself, blinking is enough... ;)

Communicate.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:05 pm
This might be difficult, since the server cannot save messages and then check every so many minutes who's online; this would eat to many resources.

Maybe you (Ingo) could do something with expiration or transient messages http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0079.html#examples-time; this would not be ideal, because notifications would be lost to users who are not online, but it would prevent the screen from being cluttered by notifications...

I can imagine Jabber notifications are only interesting to users who are online at the time the message is posted; others should be fine with email notifications.

Communicate.
tkoski
Registered Member
OS

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:33 pm
Can I ask what XMPP server you use?

Last edited by tkoski on Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Attitude before intelligence.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:36 pm
OhReally wrote:This might be difficult, since the server cannot save messages and then check every so many minutes who's online; this would eat to many resources.

Maybe you (Ingo) could do something with expiration or transient messages http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0079.html#examples-time; this would not be ideal, because notifications would be lost to users who are not online, but it would prevent the screen from being cluttered by notifications...

I can imagine Jabber notifications are only interesting to users who are online at the time the message is posted; others should be fine with email notifications.

The only thing i need to do is check the timestamps of the last unvisited post, just like it is done with the email system.
I need to take a look at that, hadn't much time left. But it will be done, i promise ;)

Communicate.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:41 pm
tkoski wrote:Can I ask what XMPP server you use?

I don't know, sorry. Currently we use the one driven by KDE, kdetalk.net, but which server it really is, no idea.
The bot is written in a way, that you can configure the account to be used by the bot. So it doesn't depend on a specific server. Every server corresponding to the xmpp specification should do the trick.

Communicate.