This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[RESOLVED] plasma panel settings (added widgets) not being saved

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
google01103
Manager
When ever I restart kde4 widgets previously adding must be re-added. Lancelot, quick launch, system tray, show desktop are not being started. The digital clock , system tray and device notifier show though not where I left them. Quick launch when re-added revert to the default icons, luckily I only use 4. Deleting plasma-appletsrc and rebuilding my preferences did not resolve this problem.

On the desktop all the added icons are still there but the sizes have reverted to the original and the positioning of my quick access plasmoids were not retained.

Also, maybe similar but my selected Kate plugins must be re selected each time also.

thanks,

Last edited by google01103 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

toad
Global Moderator
OS
Have you heavily modified your KDE4? It sounds as though you merely attempted it but nothing ever sticks...

If I were you I'd go into ~/.kde/share/config/ and examine plasmarc and plasma-appletsrc - especially with regard to write rights. Having said that, I cannot imagine how rights could have got borked there. If you find nothing untoward rename those files by sticking a ~ at the end and log in again. Now make a change, log out and log in again.

Did it stick?

Debian testing
google01103
Manager
toad wrote:Have you heavily modified your KDE4? It sounds as though you merely attempted it but nothing ever sticks...

If I were you I'd go into ~/.kde/share/config/ and examine plasmarc and plasma-appletsrc - especially with regard to write rights. Having said that, I cannot imagine how rights could have got borked there. If you find nothing untoward rename those files by sticking a ~ at the end and log in again. Now make a change, log out and log in again.

Did it stick?

I tried removing those tho files and reconfiguring and it did not help

toad
Global Moderator
OS
I'd also try the following:

1. log out
2. stop kdm
3. mv ~/.kde ~/.kde~
4. start kdm and log in
5. make changes and log out
6. log in again - did they stick?

If that doesn't work perhaps somebody else has a better idea.

Debian testing
google01103
Manager
so I am now using the 4.2 beta and still after removing the plasma rc files and recreating my panel every time I restart kde4 my plasma settings are lost

specifically
- all panel widgets must be re-added including kmenu, show desktop, task manager, system tray but NOT device plugins and digital clock
- appearance settings are recalled correctly
- desktop widgets are remembered but the location and sizings are incorrect

any ideas? this is a bit annoying

thanks,

Hans
Administrator
OS
Try
Code: Select all
kquitapp plasma && plasma

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
google01103
Manager
Hans wrote:Try
Code: Select all
kquitapp plasma && plasma

>kquitapp plasma && plasma
plasma(24028): Communication problem with "plasma" , it probably crashed.
Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "

RESTARTING PLASMA GIVES the following but it did restart as I had hoped, what was the command "kquitapp plasma" supposed to accomplish? Will restarting kde4 now keep my plasma settings? I will test restarting kde4 later in the week.

plasma
Object::connect: No such signal OrgKdeKephalConfigurationsInterface::statusChanged()
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QWidget "", which already has a layout
Object::connect: No such slot Kickoff::FavoritesModel::sortFavoritesAscending()
Object::connect: No such slot Kickoff::FavoritesModel::sortFavoritesDescending()
QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified
QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified
QGraphicsGridLayout::itemAt: invalid row, column 0, 0
QGraphicsGridLayout::itemAt: invalid row, column 1, 0
QGraphicsGridLayout::itemAt: invalid row, column 0, 1
QGraphicsGridLayout::itemAt: invalid row, column 0, 0
QGraphicsGridLayout::itemAt: invalid row, column 1, 0
QGraphicsGridLayout::itemAt: invalid row, column 0, 1
Object::connect: Attempt to bind non-signal TaskManager::TaskGroup::editRequest()
Object::connect: Attempt to bind non-signal TaskManager::TaskGroup::editRequest()
QObject::connect: Cannot connect KAction::triggered() to (null)::renameSelectedIcon()
QObject::connect: Cannot connect KAction::triggered() to (null)::renameSelectedIcon()
Couldn't resolve property: linearGradient3229
QGraphicsLayout::addChildLayout: layout already has a parent
QPainter::begin: Cannot paint on a null pixmap
QPainter::save: Painter not active
QPainter::setWorldTransform: Painter not active
QPainter::setRenderHint: Painter must be active to set rendering hints
QPainter::restore: Unbalanced save/restore
QPainter::end: Painter not active, aborted
QPainter::begin: Cannot paint on a null pixmap
QPainter::save: Painter not active

QPainter::restore: Unbalanced save/restore
QPainter::end: Painter not active, aborted
Couldn't find node center. Skipping rendering.
plasma(24039)/kdecore (KWin) KWindowInfo::windowClassName: Pass NET::WM2WindowClass to KWindowInfo

plasma(24039)/kdecore (KWin) KWindowInfo::windowClassName: Pass NET::WM2WindowClass to KWindowInfo

smiley@circus:~/MyTemp> plasma(24039)/kdecore (KWin) KWindowInfo::windowClassName: Pass NET::WM2WindowClass to KWindowInfo

QGraphicsLayout::addChildLayout: layout already has a parent

Hans
Administrator
OS
google01103 wrote:
RESTARTING PLASMA GIVES the following but it did restart as I had hoped, what was the command "kquitapp plasma" supposed to accomplish? Will restarting kde4 now keep my plasma settings? I will test restarting kde4 later in the week.

It tells Plasma "please save the settings and quit" (compare to the more forceful "I [font=Courier]kill[/font] you!").
It seems that Plasma won't quit peacefully, and this is probably what happens when you log out too: Plasma crashes and your settings aren't saved.

I would say that your config file is broken. What happens if you run [font=Courier]kquitapp plasma[/font] with a clean configuration?
(mv ~/.kde ~/.kde~ [or] mv ~/.kde4 ~/.kde4~
depending on your distro. Note that this will affect all your settings - you can try to first let Plasma create a new ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc)

I'm not sure how this would be different from toad's suggestion though.

Last edited by Hans on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
google01103
Manager
Hans wrote:
It tells Plasma "please save the settings and quit" (compare to the more forceful "I [font=Courier]kill[/font] you!").
It seems that Plasma won't quit peacefully, and this is probably what happens when you log out too: Plasma crashes and your settings aren't saved.

I would say that your config file is broken. What happens if you run [font=Courier]kquitapp plasma[/font] with a clean configuration?
(mv ~/.kde ~/.kde~ [or] mv ~/.kde4 ~/.kde4~
depending on your distro. Note that this will affect all your settings - you can try to first let Plasma create a new ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc)

I would agree with corruption because in a test user account the command kquitapp works correctly as does the menu item "switch user". Any idea what config file(s) could be corrupt? I'm assuming it's not the plasma rc's as I tried deleting them as well as the temp amd cache dir's and it didn't help.

thanks,

Hans
Administrator
OS
Unfortunately I have no idea. Does deleting (moving) all your kde settings fix the issue for your original user account?

google01103
Manager
I did a semi-mass removal of older rc files in ~/kde4/share/config as well as any rc file that might be relevant and then restarted kde4 and almost everything was as it was supposed to be (yes!!!) - except the kmenu widget was not in my panel. My folder view, quicklaunch and system tray were as configured so I'm pretty much fixed (at least relative to the beginning of the day).

Any clue why "switch user" isn't working for only my account using the kmenu but will using the kde3 kmenu? Any idea what the actual command is so I can see the error messages?