This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
The Discussions and Opinions forum is a place for open discussion regarding everything related to KDE, within the boundaries of KDE Code of Conduct. If you have a question or need a solution for a KDE problem, please post in the apppropriate forum instead.

What's your favourite KDE distro?

Favourite..

Arch
17%
Debian
11%
Fedora
4%
Gentoo
6%
Kubuntu
25%
Mandriva
10%
OpenSUSE
17%
Other Linux
8%
Other Platform (bsd, windows etc.)
2%

Total votes : 331

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
super.rad
Registered Member
OS
widux wrote:
super.rad wrote:Arch at the moment but Kubuntu seems to be catching up, I'm dual booting at the moment and have the testing version of kubuntu (Jaunty Jackalope) so hopefully will see some big improvements soon.
Although I will be trying Chakra as soon as it's released and is looking very promising at the moment http://chakra-project.org/

Is there any release date available concerning Chakra - sounds cvery interesting!

No official date but it's supposed to be soon, keep an eye on this thread on the KDEmod forums for any news about it

super.rad, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
R_Rios
Registered Member
OS

RE: What's your favourite KDE distro?

Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:32 am
Kubuntu, a little time ago, seemed to be secondary distro, but it grew up.

But I always liked Kubuntu.
widux
Registered Member
OS
super.rad wrote:
widux wrote:
super.rad wrote:Arch at the moment but Kubuntu seems to be catching up, I'm dual booting at the moment and have the testing version of kubuntu (Jaunty Jackalope) so hopefully will see some big improvements soon.
Although I will be trying Chakra as soon as it's released and is looking very promising at the moment http://chakra-project.org/

Is there any release date available concerning Chakra - sounds cvery interesting!

No official date but it's supposed to be soon, keep an eye on this thread on the KDEmod forums for any news about it

Thanx!

Scholars.de
sidux "aether" KDE 4.2.4
Kernel: 2.6.30-1-686
Box: Lenovo 3000 N100
Graphics: nVidia G72M [Quadro NVS 110M/GeForce Go 7300] - NVIDIA 185.18.14
WLAN: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

widux, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
kaismh
Registered Member

Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:04 am
I have finally tried Arch + KDEMod and they are great. The setup was not as difficult as I previously thought as the instructions are very clear, and the wiki is amazing. Also, both the package manager (pacman) and the QT-based GUI (shaman) are great. There is a noticeable speed improvement on Opensuse/Mandriva and Kubuntu. I have previously voted for Opensuse, any one knows if I can change it to Arch.

What I like about the wiki is that it does not only tells how to do something but also explains the concepts so you are learning while tweaking.

kaismh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Sorry, at this point I do not believe Mybb supports changing your vote after you have voted.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Chrysalis
Registered Member
OS
Arch because it gives you many choices... vanilla kde, vanilla svn, kdemod, kdemod unstable or build your own vanilla split kde, hell you can even run kde with tiling windows link.

I just cant find anything bad about archlinux. Some people say bleeding edge is bad, but noone is forcing you to update every day, and if you do and eventually get burned you'll probably fix it in no time because you've learned a bunch about your computer/linux from installing/using arch... how many people restart ubuntu thinking its windows in hopes to fix something stupid or reinstall ubuntu when they dont know how to fix it?. I cant sit here with a straight face and call arch 'unstable' because its been rock stable here thanks to its kiss philosophy only rebooting for kernel updates unlike other 'stable' and 'easy' distros who introduse more problems then they fix by staying 6 months behind.

The only real con imo is that you have to edit config files by hand verses clicking check boxes with some gui. I dont expect my parents to ever get the hang of it. It requires some reading, but if you maned up to ubuntu, with some reading i expect you will figure this out too and realize how much power you get over your system this way. Everything is neatly organized in /etc with comments in most files thanks to BSD style init system most of which you configure only once or not at all.

All the above, the very well written and complete arch website/wiki, the power of pacman/makepkg/abs, kdemod (split kde with unique buildsystem), kiss philosophy make archlinux head and shoulders above everything else that i know of. But thats just my opinion and one vote.
Moult
Global Moderator
OS
I agree with the first bloke who shouted "GENTOO FTW" in this thread :)

Mix and Match, extreme configuration.

Moult, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
thinkMoult - source for tech, art, and animation: hilarity and interest ensured!
WIPUP.org - a unique system to share, critique and track your works-in-progress projects.
changturkey
Registered Member

Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:24 pm
Arch or Debian? I am trying to decide between Chakra and Mepis. I head Kubuntu is just terrible this time around.

changturkey, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
XiniX
Registered Member
OS

Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:11 am
Voted for Arch, since it is the best KDE4 implementation so far for me. However, I am still having doubts.

Arch is the best distro when it comes to a combination of bleeding edge and stability. However, you can get burned every now and then. So far it has been mostly details, but even they can be important. Some examples:

1. Arch introduced KDE4 and did away with KDE3 when KDE4 still missed a lot of features.
Yes, I know you can run KDE3 apps, but it just does not always work right. Running Quanta with KDE3 libs in KDE4 gives poor performance and plugins do not work. Kvpnc is half functional. Smb4k has quirks. Gwenview has no kipi-plugins, service menus (e.g. Kim) no longer work or need to be tweaked. So all in all, the KDE4 environment still lacks many features that may be important for many users. That is no criticism towards the KDE4 developers, but a result of the open source development model and the KDE ecosphere. BTW: I am aware of KDE3mod. But I am talking about the official distro policy, which in my opinion was a bit too early in forcing a major upgrade on users. I think KDE4 should have been offered via KDE4mod and KDE3 should have been maintained as the official KDE version until KDE 4.2 was officially released.

2. Some packages are buggy and do not get fixed
I used guidance-power-manager until one day it was updated and now errors out on a python dependency. This was 3 weeks ago and it still has not been fixed. This does not happen much, but be prepared to be creative when using Arch.

I am not complaining. Arch is fast and transparent, but for a solid, stable work environment it is tricky. An update _may_ cause small problems, and if that happens at 23.00 when the following day you have a business presentation, that is not so nice.

I have always used MEPIS on a number of machines, and its KDE3 implementation is rock solid. If you truly want a hassle free KDE desktop, nothing beats MEPIS. If you want to be ahead of the crowd on a well constructed and relatively easy to maintain system, Arch is a very good option.

XiniX, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
sayakb
Administrator
OS

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:57 am
Kubuntu! Kubuntu!! Kubuntu!!!

Erik
Registered Member
OS
One word — Gentoo.

Erik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since the very beginning.
RyanMcCoskrie
Registered Member
OS

Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:07 am
Fedora. There's been issues over the last couple of releases but
10 is still an improvement over 9.

The thing that I love about Fedora is that my family know how to use
it no trouble (my mum learnt computing on it) but it has no objections
to me messing with it the way the *untus do.

RyanMcCoskrie, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
assassin66
Registered Member
OS
In one word; kubuntu. I have tried others, but at the minute I am happily running kubuntu 8.04 and KDE 3.5. No doubt I will move up to KDE 4.1 and kubuntu 8.10 one day, but not yet!

assassin66, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
ivan
KDE Developer
OS
I tried to switch from Debian to Kubuntu a while ago (the benefit of calling the system /stable/ while having the newest packages), but found each new version to be worse than the one before. As I once had the opportunity to tell Mr Shuttleworth in person, I considered the Kubuntu far better than Ubuntu because it got less attention, so it was closer to Debian.

Well, that stopped to be true, so I decided to switch back to Debian (testing/unstable/experimental mix) and I haven't had any complaints since. :)

BTW, I compile my own KDE :)

akoskm
Registered Member
OS
openSuSE since 2006 (SUSE before). :thumbs_up: