This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] Full screen KDE 4.2 apps on opening

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mad4surfing
Registered Member
I've looked on Google and I couldn't find any answers, so I thought I'd ask here. Sorry in advance of this is the wrong place. I'm running KDE 4.2 beta 2 on Ubuntu 8.10. Ever since I installed KDE 4.2 my KDE apps, such as Konqueror, Okular, Dolphin etc are opening in full screen mode. Now either this is a bug or there is something I've missed in settings. If anyone knows about how to solve this or knows it's a bug, please could you let me know.
Thanks
Andrew.

P.S. KDE 4.2 is a massive improvement. Thanks to everyone who worked on it.
google01103
Manager
you could check systemsettings (aka configure desktop) -> window behavior -> advanced -> placement and see if it's set to maxamizing

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

mad4surfing
Registered Member
google01103 wrote:you could check systemsettings (aka configure desktop) -> window behavior -> advanced -> placement and see if it's set to maxamizing

Thanks for the suggestion. I have set my window placement to smart. When I open a window, it's full screen. Right clicking on the task bar shows the menu with the maximise box as checked as well as the full screen one. If I uncheck these two boxes and close the window, on reopening it opens with borders and no full screen. Closing this window and reopening again returns me to the full screen situation=(. Very odd.
BLeAm
Registered Member
I've faced with the same thing as you, so, I guess you use Compiz right?
If that so, you may need to disable(actually, I have uninstall it) Compiz and go back to use Kwin as Window Manager, it works for me!

PS. I was thinking that Compiz's effect is far better than Kwin, but in 4.2 RC1, Kwin's effect is fine for me.
sayakb
Administrator
OS
Right click on title bar, and uncheck Advanced -> Fullscreen.
Also, see inside Advanced -> Special application settings and under the "Geometry" tab, uncheck Fullscreen.

gunjan2307
Registered Member
OS
Here's how you can fix this issue

open Compizconfig settings manager.
Scroll down to utilities section, click on 'workarounds'
Uncheck the very first option 'Legacy fullscreen thingy' (dont remember the name :-S )

This should fix it
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Note: gunjan2307's workaround only works if you are using Compiz as your Window Manager. Using KWin is highly recommended.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
chris74
Registered Member
OS
I had the same problem with KDE I sorted it by right clicking on the desktop 'change desktop background > visual effects' and changeing normal to none, this worked but I was not very happy as I then lost avant window manager, just would not open.
I then re installed Ubuntu 8.10 from CD and KDE was fine but Firefox then only worked full screen [no radio buttons] tried Google browser and no problems so will use this as I care not what browser I:thumbs use. :thumbs_up:

Hallucigenia
jon513
Registered Member
at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1049107 I found this, and it worked for me:

you uncheck the checkbox located at:

System -> Preferences -> CompizConfig Settings Manager -> Utility -> Workarounds -> Legacy Fullscreen Support

This was also reported as a bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/324232
mad4surfing
Registered Member
Hey guys, thanks ever so much for the replies. The utility section solution has worked perfectly! Thanks again,
Moony
chris74
Registered Member
OS
mad4surfing wrote:I've looked on Google and I couldn't find any answers, so I thought I'd ask here. Sorry in advance of this is the wrong place. I'm running KDE 4.2 beta 2 on Ubuntu 8.10. Ever since I installed KDE 4.2 my KDE apps, such as Konqueror, Okular, Dolphin etc are opening in full screen mode. Now either this is a bug or there is something I've missed in settings. If anyone knows about how to solve this or knows it's a bug, please could you let me know.
Thanks
Andrew.

P.S. KDE 4.2 is a massive improvement. Thanks to everyone who worked on it.

This is in [sort of]reply to a post I made some weeks ago briefly I lost all the Minimize Maximize buttons on the top right, I have now solved this by selecting a lower screen resolution i.e. 1024x768 4x3 rather then [1280 x 800 16x10] not ideal but it does remove the problem.

Hallucigenia
sabshire
Registered Member
gunjan2307 wrote:Here's how you can fix this issue

open Compizconfig settings manager.
Scroll down to utilities section, click on 'workarounds'
Uncheck the very first option 'Legacy fullscreen thingy' (dont remember the name :-S )

This should fix it

THANK YOU!!!! You have no idea how long I have just put up with this behavior....