This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Lancelot brainstorming

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jrick
Registered Member
OS

RE: Lancelot brainstorming

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:37 pm
How about tooltips for the items that fade out because they are too long to display?

Type Colemak!

Proud, Conservative Republican

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
--President Merkin Muffley, Dr. Strangelove
buu700
Registered Member

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:34 pm
An option to have every item in the menu squished together so that no scrolling is ever required, and a further option within that one to limit each list to a specifically defined maximum number of items to be displayed at a time, so that scrolling is required if more than the specified number of items is present.
jrick
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:44 pm
How about moving the arrows so that there's more room for the text?

Type Colemak!

cybertaz
Registered Member

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:58 pm
How hard would it be to include an option to configure menu sorting? For example: sort alphabetically.

cybertaz, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
anachreon_
Registered Member

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:24 pm
Maybe this has been fixed, but last time I tried I could not drag a program icon from Lancelot onto the quicklaunch bar of my panel. Apologies if this has been fixed or it's a plasma issue, but it's really frustrating.

Thanks for the great work!
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:03 pm
@google01103
I have to say "no" for this. Keeping the window open is not the solution. I could make the search not clear itself though... I'll think about what can be done.

@motopicco85
Yes, clearing will be possible :)

@jrick
Yes, I really do think this should be done. The problem is that when you develop widgets from scratch, you often forget the small things like these.

@buu700
No. Lancelot now tries to squeeze the items to fit without scrolling, and if there are too many items, then the scrollbars are activated. Removing the limit on the minimum item height is not an option since you could get items that are narrower than 10 pixels which is useless. And making it all configurable is also not an option, at least not from the GUI. Ill have to consider making it a power-tweak as in edit-the-config-file-manually, but you shouldn't count on it.

@jrick
Move them where exactly?

@cybertaz
Sorting is already planned. I really didn't think it was such a big deal, but since there are a lot of you who want it, who am I to object :)

@anachreon_
It should work for quite some time now (at least since Lancelot 1.0). Make sure you have the desktop /unlocked/ when trying to add items.

jrick
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:43 pm
ivan wrote:@jrick
Move them where exactly?

I mean, move them so that they look like they do in that (edited) screenshot. I moved them over in The GIMP so they are now directly over the circled arrow. Before, they were pressed up against the text. If they are moved over like shown, than there will be more space for the text.

EDIT: Actually, I can see why you would not want this to change. If the arrows were at the far end of the item, then you could accidentally select the item when the mouse was coming from the right side. With its current implementation, you have to move the mouse to the left (over the arrow) and then move it to the right again in order to get the circled arrow.

Last edited by jrick on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Type Colemak!

Registered Member

Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:50 am
1: The timeout for no-click launching programs is great but the timeout for moving into the next submenu is too long. ( User settable )

2: The scrolling of menus too long to show at once is also too slow but, I suppose this is fixed with the scroll bars.

3: Drag and drop rearranging of the favorites section items.

And I belive you are working on Lancelot following the plasma theme.

That is all I can think of at the moment thank you for Lancelot it's a great menu system.
google01103
Manager

Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:53 am
ivan wrote:@google01103
I have to say "no" for this. Keeping the window open is not the solution. I could make the search not clear itself though... I'll think about what can be done.

Your decision but why not? Why shouldn't a user be able to launch multiple apps from a single search or from a single walk through to a app directory without reloading Lancelot and rewalking to that app directory? Maybe it's a habit from using Tastymenu but it is (though not a kde4) an interesting applet/menu.

thanks,

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Don
Registered Member

Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:43 am
Hi,

I think lancelot has big potential as a remix/asus-launcher replacement in subnotebook's. It arranges all most used things in a very intuitive way. So I think that the google01103 sugestion is useful in this case. And I whish give more ideias think in this use case.

1. The option to remove "Lock Session", "Switch User" and "Logout" Buttons, they can be replaced by a widget in the kicker replacement (I don't know how it calls now, sorry)

2. Some user feedback when a message/email arrives in contact icon.

3. The kmail part of contacts could list the email's title of the unreaded messages.

4. I think that arrows to scroll itens are more easy to use in touchscreens it will be good to keep it.

5. another vote to move the directory arrows sugested by jrick.
sathiskumarmsk
Registered Member
OS

Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:37 am
i am using KDE 4.1.2..in lancelot apps arrangement (tree list) is ugly and displayed in very small space..i couldnt alter that. i dont know whether it is fixed in current svn..you should provide option to enable disable every tab..

sathiskumarmsk, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
Sebastiano
Registered Member

Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:29 am
in the contacts tab there's a mail section. There should be a possibility to remove this mail section given that lots of people use web-based email clients.

Generally I'd also put some work into making it look better, for example the scroll arrows often overlap with text.

Thanks for the great work, I happily have the online contacs lancelot-part on my desktop.
Dryfit
Registered Member
OS

Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:21 am
ivan wrote:@Dryfit
Uh, I'm afraid I haven't understood you well. Do you want to be able to change the order of the section buttons? Or to be able to move the inner categories (Places, ...) left or right...

@blueget
Yes, that was the plan from the beginning. The red was only a temporary thing - just to show the idea on blog. But, as Aaron says, temporary things tend to stick for a long time. :(

On the left side you now have the category's section like application , computer etc for me its more handy if i can drag that whole part on the right side. Its a bit like you can do in dolphin where you can drag places from left to right our another part in dolphin

Dryfit, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:47 am
@jrick
You are right (concerning the reason it can't be done like that)... maybe the extender could cover the next list though...

@16777216
1. I'll see about that.
3. Yes, at one point
(4). Plasma theme related: http://lancelot.fomentgroup.org/faq#feature-theme

@google01103
Because most of the time you don't want to launch multiple applications, and in those cases it would be annoying to have to close L manually. What do you think about:
1. Menu keeps open if Ctrl is pressed (like when selecting multiple items in a file manager)
2. Adding 'Keep menu open' option to the lancelot-icon-context-menu

@Don
1. Ok, I think I'll also make the buttons configurable (I had requests to make it possible to replace any of the buttons with, for example, a direct 'Shut down' button or smth)

2. Was planned in the era when L was only a mockup done in Inkscape. But I never really started to make it.

3. That idea lost the war compared to the current implementation because some (many) users have hundred unread messages and having a list that long in L would render it unusable. What I could do, though, is to show message titles and senders when the unread count in that folder is less or equal to 3 or 5, and when there are more messages, to show just the folder.

4. Too late. :(

@sathiskumarmsk
You can limit the number of columns in the app browser to two, this way you'll get the lists wide enough.

@Sebastiano
Wouldn't you rather want L to show the unread messages on your webmail? If not, what would you want instead of the mail list?

@Dryfit
Ok, I understand now. I'm not sure about that - the section buttons are meant to be the nearest to the mouse cursor. For example, if you place Lancelot's applet in the right corner of the screen, you'll get the section buttons on the right side. I'll have to think about it.

google01103
Manager

Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:39 pm
ivan wrote:
@google01103
Because most of the time you don't want to launch multiple applications, and in those cases it would be annoying to have to close L manually. What do you think about:
1. Menu keeps open if Ctrl is pressed (like when selecting multiple items in a file manager)
2. Adding 'Keep menu open' option to the lancelot-icon-context-menu

@ivan thanks for reconsidering and true this is not the most used case
re: 1) not real intuitive with a menu system unless the there was a message/hint displayed, but workable
re: 2) yes, but better I think would be a "keep visible" button sort of like kde4's "keep above others" button so the decision could be made on the fly
or maybe
3) an option to have Lancelot keep focus until another window selected or hovered
4) an option to keep lancelot open x seconds after an item is selected

thanks,

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x