This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] Survey for users to effect behavior of File Transfe

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sreich
KDE Developer
OS
Hello my fellow KDE users,

I am a KDE developer that currently needs help in trying to determine the best behavior of an option in the KDE File Transfer Dialog, for usability's sake.

This dialog is seen when you copy, move, delete, or do any real operation on files or directories, in a file manager, i.e. Dolphin, Konqueror, etc.

The outcome of this survey, i.e. the percentage of people who use it, will effect 1.) the default setting when it is opened, and 2.) whether or not it is hidden by default, or shown by default (when the dialog is expanded or collapsed (latter is default)).

http://picasaweb.google.com/predator106 ... 7509417314

The above is the checkbox that I am talking about.

Now, please take this poll and post to the thread with the answer following question (basically only if you use this feature, or want to):

[size=medium]If you will use this option, or do.. Explain to me why you would use this option. What is the situation that you are in, when you use this? Prove to me why this option should be here.[/size]

Hopefully there will be enough responses and opinions to come to a decision on which should be the default, and if this option should be hidden or not(to unhide it you would have to click a second button, to expand the dialog). So, tell everyone you know. :)

I am hoping that I was clear enough and explained this correctly.

Thank you for your time,

Shaun Reich

Last edited by sreich on Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
I never used this option simply because the only info i need is the action's progress. Everything else can be handled in dolphin for me.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I use this to keep tabs on large file transfers, or ones that I need to ensure complete.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Ahmad Samir
Registered Member
OS
I sometimes use especially when things go hectic and I am doing a 100 things at the same time, I just forget if I copied the files/folders or not. :D
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS
I cannot remember ever using the option you refer to.

However, I have noticed that the entire dialogue does not always stay visible to the end of the transfer in KDE4.2 whereas it always used to in KDE3.

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
sreich
KDE Developer
OS
medo3891 wrote:I sometimes use especially when things go hectic and I am doing a 100 things at the same time, I just forget if I copied the files/folders or not. :D

Yeah, I know what you mean, typically when you have to switch HDD's or something like that, or move tons of data around.
Primoz
OS
Does this even exists still? I use KDE4.2.1 and frankly I haven't seen this windows since the KDE4.1.
I have a notification instead it has all the data that I need. I'm just not sure if that isn't one of few backported things that Arch has.
So not only that I don't use check box, I don't use the whole thing.
I might have use it on KDE4-4.1 but as I said before I haven't seen it since KDE4.2 came out.

Primoz, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
sreich
KDE Developer
OS
Primoz wrote:Does this even exists still? I use KDE4.2.1 and frankly I haven't seen this windows since the KDE4.1.
I have a notification instead it has all the data that I need. I'm just not sure if that isn't one of few backported things that Arch has.
So not only that I don't use check box, I don't use the whole thing.
I might have use it on KDE4-4.1 but as I said before I haven't seen it since KDE4.2 came out.

Yes, this is the plasma notification. This was defaulted to for some odd reason, and it seems like from what I heard they were thinking about changing it back (I know quite a few people that like the dialog better, it has what a plasma notification could never have).

You can also disable it by right clicking the system tray, then the dialog will take over.

I like the dialog better, this is why I am revamping it, and I think I will always like the dialog better (not to sound arrogant or anything), but it brings a lot more to the table, just by it being a dialog...
alk
Registered Member
OS
Well I do use it.
While writing on removable disk it's critical to know if the transfer complete.
And it is annoying when you need to click on tray to keep notification on top.
frisil
Registered Member
OS
I think it's a must have, if it was taken out entirely I would even stop using KDE!
I want to know how long it'll approximately take for data to be copied to external drives, and I want to know when it's finished! If I copy tons of data at the same time, I'll feel like I lose control over my actions if there is not a single progress window for each operation I started. Especially when setting up new computers for friends or customers with there data backed up to an external drive, and I have to copy back multiple folders to multiple locations. Or after having created encfs-folders and moving data there, I want to know when I can unmount them.
Manolete
Registered Member
OS
Totally agreed!
I too think this is a must; at least to have a configurable option to make it visible all the time the copying process is running if the user wants. I even wrote a post about it: knotify-visibility-t-35696.html