This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Alt-Tab list - add option to be like in Windows

Votes
Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
blindvic
Registered Member
OS
I have this:
System Settings -> Window Behavior -> Task Switcher -> Sort order: Recently used

Now, if i minimize a window and then immediately press Alt-Tab, i am not switched to the just minimized window, though it was the most recently used.

And there is no other setting except Staking Order, which i don't need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcClUyGlKAU

=======================
Related bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=61697
Related forum topic: viewtopic.php?f=111&t=99625

=======================
Would it be possible to make an option how minimizing a window affects sort order?
Option1 (default): Minimizing a window moves to the end of the window list.
Option 2: Minimizing a window leaves it as the most recently used.

UPDATE:
Being able to change Alt-Tab behaviour helps people coming to KDE from Windows. I am myself using KDE and WIndows in parallel, and for me its difficult to switch to different workflow in KDE, even if it is more logical.

Last edited by blindvic on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Philzen
Registered Member
OS
I'd love to second this request by voting which is unfortunately closed w/o any further decision or progress information. Since i finally made my move to linux (Kubuntu) not having this feature is an actual workflow slowdown for me.

I have no problem configuring the heck out of the system and here or there write a shell scripts that do little things for me that a series of clicks cannot do. Also, the whole Linux/KDE universe did such an enormous job on improving and providing a real user experience, i would at least like to read a sound argument while this shouldn't be easily configurable in some way (as so many other options already are) to ease the transition for users trying to move over from the M$ universe.
emoxam
Registered Member
Don't lunix developers want to come users from windows ? So most behaviour things must be exactly as they are in windows. I can't understand whats wrong with alt+tab for a long time! Do not be stubborn let it be optioanl, i guess it's not so hard.
P.S. There are so much useless options about alt+tab behaviour, but no so important option.
sir_herrbatka
Registered Member
could someone close this? this option is already here.
luebking
No, actually not.

For 4.11 the behaviour was "fixed" to preserve a general LIFO strategy, ie the last minimized window will be the first of all minimiized windows in the focus chain, but the minimized windows are (still) all behind all non-minimized ones.

The idea here is to (optionally) not pass the minimized windows any special treatment (with the only valid reason, that this is -apparently, not used for looong time- the MS Windows behavior)
sir_herrbatka
Registered Member
oh, sorry. i still use 4.10.
toad
Global Moderator
OS
emoxam wrote:Don't lunix developers want to come users from windows ? So most behaviour things must be exactly as they are in windows. I can't understand whats wrong with alt+tab for a long time! Do not be stubborn let it be optioanl, i guess it's not so hard.
P.S. There are so much useless options about alt+tab behaviour, but no so important option.

If you want windows style behaviour you are free to use that OS. Alternatively write the function yourself (after all, you guess it is not so hard) or pay someone to do it. And while you may not value the other options there are plenty people out there (myself included) who do.

Debian testing
Fri13
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:55 pm
emoxam wrote:Don't lunix developers want to come users from windows ?

Too bad that Linux (operating system) developers has nothing to do with KDE developed graphical user interface for Unix systems, nor they are not interested about ex-Windows users as KDE might be.

It is logical that if you minimize a window, you don't want to see it. It is not visible on your windowing environment but it is hided to taskbar.
Alt+Tab is used to switch between visible windows. If you want to again open the hided window, you need to do it in similar manner as you hided it, instead always prompting it back up when trying to focus on windows visible at that moment.
blindvic
Registered Member
OS
toad wrote:If you want windows style behaviour you are free to use that OS. Alternatively write the function yourself (after all, you guess it is not so hard) or pay someone to do it.

It's not so easy. Even if you have submitted a patch, which works and is easy to review, developers sometimes intentionally do not accept it, because they consider it redundant.

Last edited by blindvic on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
emoxam
Registered Member
Then do not complain about "Linux is not so common, as.." for example you particularly is against. There are bunch of things i don't like in Linux, and in spite of ease them to fix, no developer is even answers me. I don't understand how community built order of the forming interface, but i guess that was a wishlist of one. But without theese little fixes working in KDE particularly is torture for me. Thats why i'm back.
I wanted to make the FREE OS better, but what i hear from the community ? Pay someone. Thats realy funny.
And i don't answer to "make it by yout own", just because there is no sense in such statements and it's discussion.
Thats all.
Fri13
Registered Member
OS

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:47 am
emoxam wrote:I wanted to make the FREE OS better, but what i hear from the community ? Pay someone. Thats realy funny.

Then you have totally misunderstanded the word "FREE".

Free doesn't just mean "Free as beer" = You don't need to pay, as it as well means "Free as speech" = You need to pay but you can do what you like with it. Linux is a free operating system what anyone can download from the kernel.org and use it or modify it as long they do follow the GPLv2 license what is used on it.

And KDE (as any user interface) isn't part of Linux operating system, it is multiple layers above the operating system. You need operating system so you can have multiple program running on computer hardware.

If you want something, you are free to implement it and share it to others.
If you don't know how to implement it but you have idea, you are free to share that idea with others who could implement it.
If others are not willing to implement that feature, you are free to hire someone to implement it for you (and/or for others).

No one is stopping you as long you follow the license of the software what you are using or modifying.
blindvic
Registered Member
OS
I just checked the behavior in MacOS. If I minimize a window, a single Cmd+Tab switches to the just minimized window, though it stays minimized (but the global menu shows that the window is active).
intika
Registered Member
I always lose 2 or 3 seconds when i use ctrl+tab because of this...

The patch is simple tho to get this fixed.... here it is :D yaaay https://github.com/Intika-Linux-KDE/kwi ... ff8bb11402

So just rebuild kwin with this patch and install it...

I don't have the time to implement this as a feature on the kwin settings and PR KDE, i'll may be do it later on...
intika
Registered Member
or i'll add that as a kwin script if it is possible...
onetuser
Registered Member
Fix this please. I often minimize windows to get to below windows and then alt-tabing to the end of list is frustrating.