This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[solved] UI elements appear too large

Tags: dpi, scale, scaling, icons, ui, scrollbar, plasma, desktop, workspace, 5 dpi, scale, scaling, icons, ui, scrollbar, plasma, desktop, workspace, 5 dpi, scale, scaling, icons, ui, scrollbar, plasma, desktop, workspace, 5
(comma "," separated)
iuno
Registered Member
Hello,
I have an issue with my Plasma 5 desktop. Some icons are ridiculously big, please see the image linked below. Also notice the bold 'lines' in the taskbar and the weird scrollbar.

screenshot:

There might be something wrong with a dpi setting? But I found nothing to align it but a dpi setting for fonts (which had been alright already).
I'm using Arch Linux with the latest packages out of the official repos and aur. The screen resolution is 1920x1080. I also checked if X got screen dimensions right and it was ok.

regards

Last edited by iuno on Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
enoop
Registered Member

Re: UI elements appear too large

Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:43 am
Did you change your font DPI settings in the font menu in system settings?
iuno
Registered Member

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:54 pm
I tried to change the setting – actually it did scale the rest of the UI but didn't have any influence on these specific ones.
btw: I booted the latest Project Neon ISO and got exactly the same problem.
da
Registered Member

Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:12 pm
I have the same problem with icons being too large. I tried changing the icon size is the settings, but the dropdown box for the icon size does not have anything in it. Is there any log or other useful information I could post that would help track down this problem?
iuno
Registered Member

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:35 pm
Some things like the scrollbars look better now in Plasma 5.1, but the icons are still too large

@da: could you paste your xrandr output? I think my monitor sends bogus EDID info (16:9 ratio instead of real dimensions...). xrandr shows a screen size of 160x90mm, while xdpyinfo shows the legit 508x285mm. Changing via xrandr had no influence on the xrandr output but only on the output of xdpyinfo… I'm using intel driver btw
iuno
Registered Member

Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:45 am
@da:
I found the solution in arch wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KM ... s_and_EDID)

(using Arch Linux and intel open-source driver)

I built the EDID binary from kernel doc. After installing core/linux-docs they can be found inside
/usr/lib/modules/3.17.2-1-ARCH/build/Documentation/EDID/

just make and copy the desired .bin over to /lib/firmware/edid and add the following to kernel cmd line:
drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=edid/your_edid.bin

Now showing a 24" screen at 96dpi, which is alright :)
theitguy6
Registered Member
Even though this thread is marked solved I still wanted to give the method I used to correct the DPI scaling issues on my PC and laptop. Both are running Kubuntu 14.10 with nVidia graphic cards, using the proprietary drivers.

1. Using nvidia-settings, locate your GPU on the left and expand the GPU the display is connected to.

2. Click the display you are having problems with and press the "Aquire EDID" button, remember to note the name as you will need later. Example: DFP-1.

3. Save the file to any location you'd like.

4. Edit the "edid.bin" file using software capable of decoding the binary file into a human readable format. (I used a windows based program that will install and run through WINE, Advanced EDID Editor http://www.lightware.eu/images/stories/downloads/Installer_LW_matrix_controller_v3_4_6.zip)

5. Using the software or some other method locate the "Display Size" field and edit it to match the actual dimensions of your screen. If using the software provided enter the dimensions as cm otherwise the default values are in mm. Example: The vendor had the dimensions set to 16 9 (16 cm x 9 cm) so I set it to match the actual dimensions 102 57 (102 cm x 57cm).

6. Save the edited edid.bin file.

7. Launch any text editor of your choice as sudo and enter the following text
Code: Select all
# Altered EDID to prevent unusable icon scaling in KDE5

Section "Device"
  Identifier   "Device0"
  Driver   "nvidia"
  VendorName   "NVIDIA Corporation"
  Option   "ConnectedMonitor"   "DFP-1"
  Option   "CustomEDID"   "DFP-1:/home/user/edid/edid.bin"
  Option   "IgnoreEDID"   "false"
  Option   "UseEDID"   "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier   "SAMSUNG"
  ModelName   "SAMSUNG"
  VendorName   "SAM"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier   "Screen0"
  Device   "Device0"
  Monitor   "SAMSUNG"
EndSection

Note: Option "CustomEDID" "unique-display:/pathto/edid.bin" points to wherever you saved the edited EDID bin. The unique display name was whatever was listed under the GPU from step 2. The Section "Monitor" Identifier can be anything you want, the code above is just for reference as to what I used. If using something different like "Monitor0" just make sure to fill in the same name under Section "Screen" for the Monitor name.

8. Save the file to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d as XX-name.conf. Example: I saved it as /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf

9. Exit the editor

10. Reboot, if everything is correct KDE will calculate the DPI to a sane value for your display.