This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Desktop Settings: Wallpaper: Settings not persistent

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rgaelzer
Registered Member
OS
Running:
Fedora 27
Plasma 5.12

In Desktop Settings -> Wallpaper, I set:
Wallpaper Type: Slideshow
Positioning: Scaled, Keep Proportions

However, every time I choose
Background: Solid Color
it goes back to "Blur" the next time I login.

It's not fatal, but it's annoying :-\
Is that some problem with the permissions for some config file?
In ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc I found

[Containments][20][Wallpaper][org.kde.slideshow][General]
FillMode=1

Is the FillMode that sets Blur/Solid Color?
I have write permission for this file and changing the settings does not change the file anywhere.
Or is it another config file altogether?
BTW, I'm using 2 screens, each with its own configuration.

Appreciate any tips here.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
As I understand it (unless it's changed in plasma 5) that file is updated when plasma closes (cleanly). So if you want to make or see changes to that file then you need to close plasma (I believe the command for that would be: kquitapp plasma-workspace).
If the settings you're using aren't sticking then it could be that plasma is crashing when you log out before updating that file.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
rgaelzer
Registered Member
OS
airdrik wrote:As I understand it (unless it's changed in plasma 5) that file is updated when plasma closes (cleanly). So if you want to make or see changes to that file then you need to close plasma (I believe the command for that would be: kquitapp plasma-workspace).
If the settings you're using aren't sticking then it could be that plasma is crashing when you log out before updating that file.

Thanks for the reply.
So, you confirm that indeed the config I want is in plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
and that the background filling mode is set by
[Containments][20][Wallpaper][org.kde.slideshow][General]
FillMode=1
??? ???

I'll try your suggestion with my home laptop later and then report what happened.
WilliamLieurance
Registered Member
OS
I had the same frustrating problem with my slideshow as well. I think I figured out what's happening, and submitted https://phabricator.kde.org/D13555 to correct the issue. If you don't want to wait for that patch to land and get distributed, you can edit the config XML for the kde slideshow component yourself. On my Fedora system it's in /usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/org.kde.slideshow/contents/config/main.xml . Add the following entry to the top of the group:

Code: Select all
    <entry name="Blur" type="bool">
      <label>Blur background filling</label>
      <default>false</default>
    </entry>

After editing, the file should be basically identical to /usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/org.kde.image/contents/config/main.xml . Restart kde, then the blur-versus-fill setting should persist.
rgaelzer
Registered Member
OS
Great! Thanks... ;D
Worked at the first try because when I inserted the new entry and restarted KDE the background configuration was already set for 'Solid color'

It's good when "old" (and almost forgotten :z ) posts get attention.

WilliamLieurance wrote:I had the same frustrating problem with my slideshow as well. I think I figured out what's happening, and submitted https://phabricator.kde.org/D13555 to correct the issue. If you don't want to wait for that patch to land and get distributed, you can edit the config XML for the kde slideshow component yourself. On my Fedora system it's in /usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/org.kde.slideshow/contents/config/main.xml . Add the following entry to the top of the group:

<entry name="Blur" type="bool">
      <label>Blur background filling</label>
      <default>false</default>
    </entry>

After editing, the file should be basically identical to /usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/org.kde.image/contents/config/main.xml . Restart kde, then the blur-versus-fill setting should persist.
hikikomori
Registered Member
Hi!
I got some problem:
viewtopic.php?f=289&t=157127
https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1125195
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=404342
viewtopic.php?f=289&t=157127

Nobody helped me, so I had to help myself

Simply enter manually or replace the config org.kde.slideshow/ with a working org.kde.image

sudo mv /usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/org.kde.slideshow/contents/config/main.xml /usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/org.kde.slideshow/contents/config/main.xml.back

sudo cp /usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/org.kde.image/contents/config/main.xml /usr/share/plasma/wallpapers/org.kde.slideshow/contents/config/main.xml