This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
The Discussions and Opinions forum is a place for open discussion regarding everything related to KDE, within the boundaries of KDE Code of Conduct. If you have a question or need a solution for a KDE problem, please post in the apppropriate forum instead.

Webkit for Konqueror

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Ujjwol
Registered Member
OS

Webkit for Konqueror

Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:03 am
I think the KHTML of the Konqueror is not so good. Though webkit is derived from KHTML AFAIK.Now i think Konqueror should use Webkit. Or there can be option to change from webkit to KHTML in default Konqueror install. What do u think guys?

Ujjwol, proud user of KDE 4 and member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

RE: Webkit for Konqueror

Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:11 am
You can already use WebKit in Konqueror if you install the "kdewebkit" library from Playground. It had some issues last time I tested it however, since buttons were incorrectly sized, and fonts were tiny. It also still used Konqueror's identification, so most sites still shunned it.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
gnuboi
Registered Member

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:23 am
I really like the idea of including webkit in konqueror...
torkiano
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:29 am
Hello,

if you use Kubuntu you can try webkitkde from this PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive

Is the most update i've found and works pretty well.

If Qt 4.5 is out for Jaunty and its Webkit supports flash, Kubuntu plans to change Konqueror to use kdewebkit by default. See https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuJauntyKDEPackaging

Last edited by torkiano on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kubuntu 9.04 (alpha5) i386 - KDE 4.2.1
michael4910
Alumni
OS

Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:21 am
btw, what is the webkit/Konqueror implementation like? Can the user easily switch from one engine to the other and back again?

michael4910, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:27 am
Yes, you can switch Engine easily under View > View Mode while browsing a web page.

KDE Sysadmin
Dimitrios
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:09 pm
in my system, if i switch to webkit , konqueror becomes very very slow, and i cannot change the font's size. I don't think that is as good as another native webkit browser
its only to me that behavior? are you satisfies from the implementation of webkit inside konqueror ?

«The magic continues...»
http://www.mageia.org
torkiano
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:38 pm
Dimitrios wrote:in my system, if i switch to webkit , konqueror becomes very very slow, and i cannot change the font's size. I don't think that is as good as another native webkit browser
its only to me that behavior? are you satisfies from the implementation of webkit inside konqueror ?

Hello Dimitrios,

note that is very alpha software. It's normal that it was a little buggy.

Kubuntu 9.04 (alpha5) i386 - KDE 4.2.1
DanielW
KDE Developer
OS

Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:26 pm
And also note that the Webkit in Qt 4.4 is an old version.

Qt 4.5 (release in Q1 most likely) will ship an updated version.

DanielW, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
frustphil
Registered Member

Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:57 am
torkiano wrote:Hello,

if you use Kubuntu you can try webkitkde from this PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive

Is the most update i've found and works pretty well.

If Qt 4.5 is out for Jaunty and its Webkit supports flash, Kubuntu plans to change Konqueror to use kdewebkit by default. See https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuJauntyKDEPackaging

How about Arora instead. I've been using it for 2 days ;-) now. No crushes. Webpage display is on par with Firefox except that it doesn't have flash support( at least until QT 4.5 ). Font dispaly is not distorted compared to Konque. And it's very very fast and very lightweight ( I can run 2 guests in virtualbox while running Arora and some other host apps without any sign of slowing down).

frustphil, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
Dimitrios
Registered Member
OS

Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:31 am
i tried Arora ; the navigation is THAT i would like but ... in konqueror :(
excelent light browser

«The magic continues...»
http://www.mageia.org
Moult
Global Moderator
OS

Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:27 am
Yes - looking for a faster and more integrated browser than Firefox I have also come across Arora. Konqueror gave me very bad impressions with KHTML, and when I tried the webkit-kpart, fonts were tiny and couldn't be resized. Also some pages scrolled slow. Right now I'm typing this on Arora and so far I've found it wonderful :)

If webkit was properly put into Konqueror - I might actually use Konqueror once in my life.

Moult, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
thinkMoult - source for tech, art, and animation: hilarity and interest ensured!
WIPUP.org - a unique system to share, critique and track your works-in-progress projects.
Damnshock
Registered Member
OS

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:30 pm
Moult wrote:Yes - looking for a faster and more integrated browser than Firefox I have also come across Arora. Konqueror gave me very bad impressions with KHTML, and when I tried the webkit-kpart, fonts were tiny and couldn't be resized. Also some pages scrolled slow. Right now I'm typing this on Arora and so far I've found it wonderful :)

If webkit was properly put into Konqueror - I might actually use Konqueror once in my life.

The problems you are having with konqueror and the webkit-kpart are due to QT 4.4's webkit. Try out qt 4.5 and you'll find it muck more usefull!

Damnshock, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:47 pm
The small buttons are the fault of Oxygen. If you use Arora, you will see the same screwed up small checkboxes, buttons, line edits, etc.

KDE Sysadmin
Primoz
OS

Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:43 pm
bcooksley wrote:The small buttons are the fault of Oxygen. If you use Arora, you will see the same screwed up small checkboxes, buttons, line edits, etc.

I'm posting this from Arora and I have to say I do like it's lightweightness and all.
But there are some problems. the wierd checkboxes were mentioned and it's really just a browser (which is a good and a bad thing).
But I like how fast it is.
I just can't get it if the checkboxes and buttons are problem of Oxygene shouldn't that be repaired if you use some other icon-set?
Are we even talking about Oxygen the icon set or some other project of Oxygene???

Primoz, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.